Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Somali Bantu

@Haatu....my point is the Somali race is actually more diverse in looks than any otha black group, and in that case doing genetic testing won't be helpful.Yes some might get foreign dna & still look more Somali than others due to being Somali for centuries.

Also to show you in the video that many of us can pass as white/indian etc.

tell ya ladies luv me:D

Haatu   

Cadale;987712 wrote:
Horta i heard some of the Bantus in middle shabelle and lower shabelle are natives. warka maxaa ka jiro?

That's nonsense sxb. The bantu expansion never reached the Somali territories. The link posted by Saalax has some inaccuracies. They posted Sh Shariif as a bantu for goodness sake! :D

burahadeer;987714 wrote:
@Haatu....my point is the Somali race is actually more diverse in looks than any otha black group, and in that case doing genetic testing won't be helpful.Yes some might get foreign dna & still look more Somali than others due to being Somali for centuries.

Also to show you in the video that many of us can pass as white/indian etc.

tell ya ladies luv me:D

If truth be told, Somalis don't actually look that different from each other minus small differences in skin tone. I have white friends that tell me we all look the same :D

Safferz   

Haatu;987708 wrote:
You must've misunderstood. I am merely saying the poor sods where forcibly removed from their homes centuries ago. We should now do the humane thing and return them to their homes
:P

Southern Somalia belongs to Somalis. It can't belong to any other group because it is a land already owned.

Who is a Somali? To which Somalis does southern Somalia belong to? And has it not been in flux, historically? I edited my previous post to add that the irony of this discussion is that the Somali Bantu may very well have been in the parts of southern Somalia they are associated with longer than the Somali nomadic clans that lay claim to those territories. We know that some Somali Bantu have been there as early as the 10th century AD.

Since when have Somalis 'owned' land, in the sense of the patrimoniality which claims ownership over territory? The colonial state was the first to impose that (with the exception of feudal Ethiopia, I suppose...), and you too are using a European gaze in thinking about property and rights-in-land. Nomadism has never used that logic.

Finally, why is it so difficult to accept - recognizing their histories of enslavement and social exclusion - that the Somali Bantu are as much a part of Somalia as the northern pastoral nomads, or the coastal merchants and fishermen?

Haatu   

Alpha Blondy;987719 wrote:
i assume whites top the pecking order in your world? saas miyaa?

If truth be told I believe the Abraahiim are :D (lol at you thinking I worship the white man, UFF).

Haatu   

Safferz;987718 wrote:
Who is a Somali? To which Somalis does southern Somalia belong to? And has it not been in flux, historically? I edited my previous post to add that the irony of this discussion is that the Somali Bantu may very well have been in the parts of southern Somalia they are associated with longer than the Somali nomadic clans that lay claim to those territories. We know that some Somali Bantu have been there as early as the 10th century AD.

Since when have Somalis 'owned' land, in the sense of the patrimoniality which claims ownership over territory? The colonial state was the first to impose that (with the exception of feudal Ethiopia, I suppose...), and you too are using a European gaze in thinking about property and rights-in-land. Nomadism has never used that logic.

Finally, why is it so difficult to accept - recognizing their histories of enslavement and social exclusion - that the Somali Bantu are as much a part of Somalia as the northern pastoral nomads, or the coastal merchants and fishermen?

Somalis are the ethnic group that reside in the Horn of Africa. They have lived there for thousands of years. The Somali bantu came to this land after the Somalis. The South belongs to the clans who settle there.

Somalis own land in a shared-clan sense. Clan A has exclusive rights to this territory and Clan B doesn't. Hence the totality of all the clan lands make the Somali homeland. (In my opinion it is this approach that the Somali state should have been based upon, how we always knew it).

"Northern Somalis" also live in the deep South. The Somali bantus are a part of Somalia today, but the issues they face will sadly never disappear as the differences are just too stark. Integration is impossible.

Haatu;987717 wrote:

If truth be told, Somalis don't actually look that different from each other minus small differences in skin tone. I have white friends that tell me we all look the same
:D

Let me try to put it right.Ok take kikuyu which we know all look Bantu ,very dark,kinky hair & nose/lips.

Now take Somali who is dark/brown/light/almost white with kinky/straight/curly/wavy hair.

Who is more diverse within their group? that's what I meant.

Safferz   

Haatu;987723 wrote:
Somalis are the ethnic group that reside in the Horn of Africa. They have lived there for thousands of years. The Somali bantu came to this land after the Somalis. The South belongs to the clans who settle there.

Somalis own land in a shared-clan sense. Clan A has exclusive rights to this territory and Clan B doesn't. Hence the totality of all the clan lands make the Somali homeland. (In my opinion it is this approach that the Somali state should have been based upon, how we always knew it).

"Northern Somalis" also live in the deep South. The Somali bantus are a part of Somalia today, but the issues they face will sadly never disappear as the differences are just too stark. Integration is impossible.

Haatu, before I get myself deeper into this discussion and use it as an excuse to avoid the paper I have due this weekend, I'm going to excuse myself and ask that you hold these thoughts for the thread I'll start on the topic next week :P You may be interested to look at Abdi Kusow's book "Putting the Cart Before the Horse: Contested Nationalism and the Crisis of the Nation-State in Somalia," the introduction at the very least, since it's quite insightful and raises some of the problems with how we think about "Somali identity" and society quite well.

Haatu;987720 wrote:
If truth be told I believe the Abraahiim are
(lol at you thinking I worship the white man, UFF).

we can infer from your statements that you do indeed worship whites.

so far we've deduced the following....

1. bantus are Africans. in other words, there appears to be an ingrained hierarchy of sorts in your fikir. thus, to put more flesh on the bone, as it were........the darker your person, the lower your position. thus....bantus were enslaved thereby meriting their enslavement, somaha?

2. you've accorded value to the following statement.......'' i have white friends that tell me we all look the same''. why don't black friends tell you y'all look different? why don't somalis tell you y'all look different? but because ''your'' white friends tell you y'all look different, it must be true, miyaa?

Cadale   

Haatu;987717 wrote:
That's nonsense sxb. The bantu expansion never reached the Somali territories. The link posted by Saalax has some inaccuracies. They posted Sh Shariif as a bantu for goodness sake!

LOOL@sheikh shariif. Runtii he could pass as an bantu tho Lmaao

Apophis;987721 wrote:
The land now belongs to Somalis and who lived on it before is irrelevant.
Vae victus

that sounds remotely like something Ahmed ''Kibaki'' Madoobe would say, maha?

you can't insult the bantus and expect his protection too, ma garatay?

Saalax   

I think it is inaccurate to say the Bantus are originally from the south when they themselves

admit they were stolen from their families in Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique just 200 years ago.

However there could be a tiny percentage of Bantus that lived there longer than other Bantus.

Anyway what I find interesting is the reer Xamar cad cad of Benadir who also more recently

came from Oman and Yemeni 400-300 years ago are not told to go back home only the Bantus.

Miyir   

Cadale;987729 wrote:
LOOL@sheikh shariif. Runtii he could pass as an bantu tho Lmaao

He is not? stop sheekashada you have one now in Vila Somalia be happy, Sharif is first Somali Bantu President,

Somali-SomaliLanders ethnic yet to produce one:mad: now you know why they sulk!!

Haatu;987672 wrote:
Then no offence, but they should get genetic tests done.
I've seen ugly Somalis, but never one that would be indistinguishable from a bantu.

Gadey is not barren na.cas yahow. It's along the jubba valley and very fertile.
And why should we leave our land? :cool:

Why has this comment gone unnoticed ??? :confused:

Haatu   

Alpha Blondy;987728 wrote:
we can infer from your statements that you do indeed worship whites.

so far we've deduced the following....

1. bantus are Africans. in other words, there appears to be an ingrained hierarchy of sorts in your fikir. thus, to put more flesh on the bone, as it were........the darker your person, the lower your position. thus....bantus were enslaved thereby meriting their enslavement, somaha?

2. you've accorded value to the following statement.......
'' i have white friends that tell me we all look the same''
. why don't black friends tell you y'all look different? why don't somalis tell you y'all look different? but because ''your'' white friends tell you y'all look different, it must be true, miyaa?

Ii wad sheekada sxb ii wad :cool: