Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

The eagle clan is split.

Oodweyne   

^^^ You still do not get do you. The question is does puntland has any leverage to affect the politics of the federal government one way on another, like they used to have during the TFG peroid?

Again, does the current and complete isolation of Farole from his previous position of being "consulted" on every issue of Somalia by Mogadishu had any negative impact on the Hassan Sheikh government? Again, let me say, does the complain of Farole that the Federal government is not doing what it was supposed to do or agreed on, have negatively impacted (or even hampered) the politics and the engagement of the federal government with the international comunity?

And lastly, could you imagine during the TFG period that the international community would effectively "ignored" the complain of Farole if he says that the then president is ignoring his duty to consult me, as the case is now.

No, saaxiib, the international community have decided not to "baby-sit" the internal politics of Somalia; and therefore anyone who has a complain or two to make about the current government will be basically directed to the Ambassador Kay or will be ask to talk to Hassan Shiekh and his parliament as a venue of their complain.

But no one will say that just because Farole has case against the Hassan Sheikh's government, then, the goverment and the compalining party must be mediated as "co-equal", which used to be the case when the TFG was running the show...

Now you see my argument.. :D :D

Haatu   

Faroole has changed Puntland into Faroole Inc, even the Garoweans are suprised at his qaroobokiil, but he is also a proven, solid leader that can keep the state together. C/weli is a technician that has many successes from the Roadmap period but is he politically savy enough to be able to contain the competing interests of the Unholy Trinity? My money is on seedigay Faroole.

Oodweyne. In your hasty to declare Puntland nonentity and by extension the larger family, you have ignored some glaring facts that are worth considering.

Firstly, there is no elite (there is actually no real elite in anywhere in Somali lands contrary to what we convince ourselves) in Mogadishu with the political acumen to master a strategy that could reduce Puntland or matter any other regional authority including Somaliland to periphery in terms of influence. If there is such elite, please enlighten us.

Secondly, you are overplaying how much the international community can do ( Ironically you discount their influence when it comes to Somaliland). There are obstacles least of which is the pledge for new deal. It is one thing to promise something, it is another thing to deliver on those promises as history shows. The cost of financing the SFGis very high, the last thing IC wants to do is corner regions of Somalia that has semblance of normalcy. This is specially true considering the SFG have no legs to stand and it has not the capacity to build institutions including viable defense force. Furthermore, AMISOM has became corrupt to the core as shown by sackings of Ugandan officers by Museveni. The IC is continuing with dual-track despite their pronounced support for Mogadishu. Today, there was a delegation from EU and the World Bank in Garowe discussing the New Deal.

Thirdly, when it comes to Jubba issue, people forget one crucial aspect. While Madoobe agreed to come under SFG, it is worthy noting that he was not chosen by them. I don't see the SFG installing their man.They had to make peace with the idea of not choosing who runs Kismayo and by the extension the lucrative seaport. And there is the Kenyan factor and in particular KDF which realized they could make money in Kismayo. The agreement in Addis had unintended consequences, it has galvanized reer Bay/Bakool who are now in the process of setting up their own state. The Speaker has essentially endorsed the initiative by the Malaaqis during his last visit there. It will be very unwise and ineffective for SFG to antagonize another community.

Fourthly, "Pashtuns" much like D-Block are not unit that could be united under a common goal. The idea of State from Mudug to the Shabelle is rather appealing, but it's highly unlikely. The residents of Hiiraan who suffered under Osman Atto and reer Mudug will not accept union with Galgaduud and Mudug. I will be very surprised if the internal divisions within the "Pashtuns" and for that D-block can be overcome. SFG agreed to the recent Nairobi meeting, but in the process they managed to piss off ASWH, the only force that ever defeated AS in battle.

Your predictions will come true the day the SFG can financially supports itself (an actual tax base) and have viable forces along other institutions, till such day, we are merely entertaining desires and passing them as possible outcomes.

I forget to add that the President's alleged connection to Islamists and his debt to those who bought him the presidency.

Oodweyne   

Che,

Saaxiib, I think you misundertood me; for I did not have said that Pirate-land is non-existenting reality. But I said that it has no larger "influence" when it comes to the political and diplomatic conduct of Hassan Sheikh's government, which was not how the puntland was when the TFG was running the show under Sheikh Hotel.

Furthermore, the international community (IC) will engage her on her terms when it comes to development; but what they will not do, is to acept Farole's contention that says Hassan Sheikh is ignoring us and therefore they (IC) must mediate us.

Or at least force Hassan Sheikh to consult regularly with Puntland, particularly as to what he wants to do in general. And as you know during the TFG peroid this way of conducting the politics of Somalia was understood it to be the way to govern the nation and with it the center was forced to consult with the regions on a regular basis.

This is my point when I talked about the "lost of inlfuence" in which puntland has recieved from the international comunity (IC) vis-a-vis that of the central government of Hassan Sheikh.