Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

More Somalis joining the Minneapolis Police Department.

I really do wish these new guy's are good cops, and not some of the cops who think just because they wear a badge and a gun that they can treat people anyway they want.

Back when i lived in Fairfax, Virginia, there was this older Somali police officer that everyone hated. He'd treat and talk to you like you were nothing and just disrespect you. That was back in 2002, i hope he got fired for the way he talked to folks.

There are a lot of Somali Deputies in Southern California, and i happen to know one of 'em.

Good luck for those that are joining the FORCE.

Nice to see. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little interest in that career path here in Toronto. Which is sad since a friend of mine has told me that their practically begging for Somali recruits here as there's a large barrier that makes policing some neighborhoods difficult.

Nin-Yaaban;972165 wrote:
Blackflash, aren't there couple of officers in Ottawa? Last time i was there, i met this one guy who works for Ottawa.

I wouldn't know as I have no ties to the Ottawa area. There's one I know of in Toronto and there are likely a few more are scattered about, but there aren't enough for there to be a discernible presence.

there is NOTHING to celebrate here, ma garateen? :mad:

where are the Somali lawyers, engineers and doctors?

Somalis in america are completely and utter failure.

Khadafi   

Congratulations to them, It's nice to see Somalis integrated in to the law in enforcement. A nice example that comes to my mind is when a white officer has a bad day and stops you in a routine traffic control. Instead of beating you because of his racist tendencies he might do nothing when he get's to know Somali people through the workplace/policestation.

The best way you integrate people is when they work in the same workplace. We humans tend to avoid everything that's different from us weather social class or race. But in the workplace we are forced to work together and produce positive things.

Marka gacanta ha la taago inkastoo bastoolo wax wato aan necbanahay :cool:

Maqane   

Good news!

Dhalinyaradeena inta badan 're less interested in this, dareemo kala duwan awgood but i hope more will follow soon and achieve their dreams in becoming a police officer!

Wish them all the best in serving the community :)

raula   

i know two of the cops personally & they are superb people. I couldn't agree more w/many of the positive comments & even more w/Khadafi's comments about Integration. Its does indeed make a difference. Kudo's to my brothers in MINNESOTA.

raula;972676 wrote:
i know two of the cops personally & they are superb people.
I couldn't agree more w/many of the positive comments & even more w/Khadafi's comments about Integration. Its does indeed make a difference. Kudo's to my brothers in MINNESOTA.

The Minneapolis police department will be the subject of an audit under a new project announced to combat racial profiling. The project was inspired by traffic stop data showing drivers of color in Minneapolis are more likely than white drivers to be pulled over and searched. Members of an audit team will ride along in police vehicles and analyze police procedural manuals to try to determine what's behind the racial disparities in traffic stops. Minneapolis city officials say they hope this model will be adopted by more police departments around the state.

Minneapolis, Minn. — In September the Council on Crime and Justice released the results of a study of racial traffic stop data from 65 juridsictions across the state. The data found that in 2002 people of color were more likely to be stopped and searched by police officers than white drivers.

Minneapolis was among the communities with a reported disparity. Mayor R.T. Rybak says the report inspired the city to try to get to the bottom of the numbers.

"Reports in government can often sit on the shelf. A report that is as important as this one should never sit on the shelf. It should be implemented as honestly and directly and aggressively as we can. And that's why we're standing here today," Rybak told a news conference.

The city has formed an oversight committee to draft a set of fairness standards that will be used by an audit team. The committee is made up of city staff, community members and law enforcement officials. Members of the audit team will use those standards as they observe how police officers make decisions and as they examine police procedural manuals.

Police Chief Robert Olson says he hopes the outside review will provide a fresh perspective on how police officers do their jobs.

"A review like this, I think, will really give a view back to us, that we didn't see before. That's what I'm hoping will happen and that we will be able to do some substantive changes in how we do business. That will directly impact the disparity in the number of stops," he said.

This won't be the first time the Minneapolis police department has engaged in this kind of process. Several years ago the department was the subject of a domestic violence safety audit.

Council on Crime and Justice officials say that project helped the department improve the way it handled domestic dispute calls.

Researcher Jennifer Obinna says she hopes this study will yield similar results. "The whole idea around the methodology is to understand decision-making points. When an officer has discretion around traffic stops, we want to get a better handle on... are they just traffic-stopping in an area where they were called for a 911 call. Are they trying to fill some kind of quota?"

The Minneapolis police department has made efforts to address racial profiling over the years. They were one of the first departments in the state to voluntarily gather traffic-stop data. And the department recently updated it's anti-discrimnation policies.

However, some say the department hasn't done enough to combat biased policing. Michelle Gross, the head of Communities United Against Police Brutality, also serves as a member of an advisory panel for a different project by the Council on Crime and Justice. Gross says the audit will help reveal some of the discriminatory attitudes of police officers.

"I think they will find that there are some individual ... preconceived notions by police officers where ... a particular police officer is going to think that any black person driving a new car is somebody that ought to be stopped. I think they'll be some people that have those kinds of notions and so they'll be projecting those notions on to their traffic stops," she said.

Gross says she hopes that this project will lead to some substantial changes.

The Plymouth police department will also participate in the study. The Council on Crime and Justice estimates the fairness standards will be ready for auditors to use next October. The audit itself is expected to take one year.

Source - http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2003/11/25_williamsb_racialprofiling

---------

are they qualified to protect and serve? or is this a public relations gimmick to increase the number of black officers amidst the growing increase of 'police brutality' against minorities in the Twin Cities.

Blackflash;972164 wrote:
Nice to see. Unfortunately, there seems to be very little interest in that career path here in Toronto. Which is sad since a friend of mine has told me that their practically begging for Somali recruits here as there's a large barrier that makes policing some neighborhoods difficult.

Blackflash? How many recruits do you think they need? I got a friend that is going to apply in like 2 years, he's just finishing up with college. I think TPS need more than just ''Two'' Somali police officers. They're are so many in Toronto, it's just ridiculous. Like 85,000 Am I right? And the officers that are patrolling those specific Somali Community need help, with their culture and stuff. I don't know. Toronto need more somali cops, and I agree with you. We need like 30 or 50. But too bad, Most of the somali youths here ''hate cops''.