Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Somaliland Oil Exploration: Update thread

N.O.R.F   

4 August 2013

* Preparations are being made by Genel's team to move out to camp approx 100km East of Burco.

* The logistics for the first camp (accommodation, labour, supplies) will be completed after Eid.

Khadafi   

I don't know about you guys bu I am have a feeling of "been their done that and here I am". 2 years ago the brothers in Booasao celebrated and they said we would be like dubai sheekhs instead of finding oil , my brothers found deep water, the source of life.

Now we have our waqooyi brother joining the band wagon scream "jipiyay jipiyow here is my oil". Le the oil party go one, we all hate the party-stoppers.

OKPe4XUbT46K-hl1H-CJvA.jpegt

the oil party go one, we all hate the party-stoppers.

N.O.R.F   

^No party. Just an update on the 'exploration'.

Che, I think the Genel camp will be around 100km east of Burco. The exploration block is quite large so they will explore where they get good readings.

nuune   

^^ Che is asking you how far, meaning are you sure this is not the disputed region, in the Eastern Sanaag and the likes etc.

Norf, are you involved with this company drilling

nuune;972062 wrote:
^^ Che is asking you how far, meaning are you sure this is not the
disputed
region, in the Eastern Sanaag and the likes etc.

Norf, are you involved with this company drilling

Why and how is it possible to be a disputed region? Isn't it easy up in the North to tell where I-block and D-Block borderline?

The drilling will be in caynabo and oodweyne i know for example that buro and caynabo is around 90 km

Even eastern sool is no longer disputed the Garowe clan enclave is just talk.

Saalax   

100 km east of Burco is Caynabo district in western Sool region. I think the reason people are avoiding the

Sool name is it has a negative connotation. So saying 100 km east of Burco just displays the area being

explored is still under the sphere of eastern Burco group.

N.O.R.F;972075 wrote:
Yes XX. Not exactly Caynabo but close. Any updates from Oodweyne?

It will start soon the exploration in oodweyne and the equipment already arrived.

Tallaabo   

Classified;972068 wrote:
Why and how is it possible to be a disputed region? Isn't it easy up in the North to tell where I-block and D-Block borderline?

By dispute implied here is not about territorial ownership but sovereignty over and control of the region. It implies the regions Puntland fraudulently claims on the basis of clan and which Somaliland rightfully defends because they are right within its internationally recognised borders.

Garowe — The president of Somalia's Puntland government Abdirahman Mohamed Farole has warned of 'consequences' in the Somaliland separatist administration's pursuit for oil exploration in Sool and Sanaag regions, Garowe Online reports.

President Farole gave the keynote address on Thursday evening at a celebratory event held at Puntland State House in Garowe marking 15 years since Puntland's statehood was founded in 1998.

The Puntland leader said that dialogue process in Istanbul between Somali Federal Government and Somaliland can succeed through consultation among "all of Somalia".

"We welcome Somaliland to rejoin Somalia, to negotiate, to agree who is wrong and who is right. But who has the authority? Somaliland is seeking international recognition, firstly from Somalis. Who can give it? We don't understand this rainbow alliance between Mogadishu and Hargeisa that skips Garowe," said President Farole, adding: "Mogadishu should not look for power it does not have and Hargeisa should not waste its time seeking recognition from Mogadishu."

President Farole said Somaliland's separatist administration should "stay within its area" until a federal and united Somalia is restored.

"Somaliland is creating conflict in the region. Somaliland cannot give land to foreign companies to explore oil when the land does not belong to Somaliland," said President Farole.

The president said that Puntland "needs peace and good neighborliness" but warned of "consequences" in Somaliland's pursuit of oil exploration in Sool and Sanaag region.

The UN Monitoring Group report released July 2013 noted concern about regional stability over oil exploration programs in northern Somalia managed by Puntland and Somaliland.

Somaliland administration gave exploration rights in parts of Sool and Sanaag to Norwegian oil company DNO and Turkish oil company Genel.

Local communities in Sool and Sanaag share kinship and political ties with Puntland, while Somaliland claims the regions based on defunct colonial-era boundaries.

Puntland and Somaliland have fought sporadic battles since 2002 over control of territory with the epicenter of the conflict at Las Anod, capital of Sool region.