Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Mullah

What do Somali Somalis do after they graduate?

Pics are from Hydarabad, India.

Somali%20%283%29.jpg

Somali%20%285%29.jpg

Somali%20%2810%29.jpg

Somali%20%2811%29.jpg

Somali%20%2813%29.jpg

I mean, do they go back to Somalia? Why? There aren't any jobs. Do they try to make it to Europe? I've always wondered.

i'm sorry? is this an inside sort of joke? naga daa wax yaahas iyo waxyaabo kalo la mid ah siba the jokes which appear to be vague iyo obscure, ma garatay? :mad:

Jacpher;965576 wrote:
^You don't get that expression and you claim to be in Hargeysa?

aar bal tan eega, dee?

inaar, you speak as though you know reer Hargeisa, ma istidhi? aan ku sheege hadaba......meesha sense of humour lagu ma oog ah. balse they use the 'expression' Somalilander ee sida uula soco.

Maqane   

Well, that's a good question that i can't answer unless i'm living there. I think that majority of Somalis don't forever reside such countries for so long haddii ay qooys u joogaan Europe/dibadda ama ay noloshu adagtahay.

Here is an article from Wikipedia that gives you a brief information about Somalis in India.

Somali asylum seekers in India often face greater challenges than do other immigrant groups in terms of gaining access to medical treatment and education, as well as locating suitable housing accommodations. This is primarily due to a lack of familiarity with both Hindi and English, which makes it difficult to find adequate jobs. As many are also not issued resident permits by the government, employers are often reluctant to hire the foreigners for fear of attracting the attention of the local police.[1]

Most of the Somali expatriates are young adults and unaccompanied minors who live in shared accommodation with little access to institutional support, as most of the services that they require are located in New Delhi.[1]

Despite this, some of the immigrants have reported better living conditions in Hydrabad on account of the lower overall cost of living, particularly in terms of housing and food. Hyderabad's large Muslim population and culture has also made for an easier transition.[1]

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somalis_in_India

You may also want to watch the video below from Graduate Somali Student in India

YoniZ   

To speak about personal experience:

I had four students in my family who studied in the above named countries.

• Three graduated and one never succeeded to graduate.

• Two of the graduates returned back to Somalia and managed to find jobs in their respective areas of study earning well.

• The third graduate settled in Europe, after many years of looking never managed to find job or even Postgraduate position with the degree earned in Asia and finally settled for non-skilled labourer position.

• The non-graduated one also made to Europe.

I'm pretty sure that many of these students end up working somewhere in Africa, such as finding jobs in Uganda, Tanzania or other countries. Some even make it to the Arab world and end up finding jobs there as well.

Imagine how much potential we could have as a nation if we actually had a functioning government. We would be far better off and perhaps these students could find jobs in their homeland instead of searching for jobs somewhere else.

YoniZ   

Mad_Mullah;970159 wrote:
Somaliland/Puntland or Somalia? Was he working for a Somali company or western/Turkish?

One work for UN organisation in country wide role. The other for Somali private company and rotates in their Somaliland-Puntland offices.

YoniZ   

The few success stories some can see in Somalia today are largely down to the return of these graduates.

Imagine how many engineers/accountants/managers are part of the telecommunication sector and in lesser numbers the finance sector.

How many doctors and other health professionals running both the main hospitals and private clinics.

How many academics are teaching at colleges and are part of the recent explosion in University numbers.

Having said that, there are some obstacles in attaining the full benefit of these graduates in Somalia:

They are not cheap - the wage demand from these bright gratuates is high and that is why they will either get well paid position $500+ probably in International NGOs or few big Somali companies or emigrate. No chance for either small companies or local governments - they simply can't afford them.

They are headhunted from the west - I don't know how to phrase it or even why, but the number of these graduates married to Somali in the West is staggering. -I bet some of you have already had some thoughts when looking at the pics above- :-)