Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

I think shiite Alevis are trying to destablize Turkey

NGONGE   

Naxar Nugaaleed;958346 wrote:
LOL, I think it was Hilary Clinton or more likely an African villager who so said that it takes a village to raise raise a child. Just the same, it takes a lot more then one man to usher in the kind economic acceleration that we have seen in Turkey the last few years. Be that as it may, I will concede that if you guys insist that he is responsible for the economic recovery of Turkey. Economically , he is accused of cronyism. Political stability, on the other hand is silly. The military used to step in if someone got out of line and went back to it barracks after an election. This man is responsible for both political and Social tension in that country. Politically he has destroyed all checks and balances in government. Socially, the gulf between Secular modern urbane Turks and more rural ones have never been wider. People feel stifled hence the charge of dictator. should all those grievances be set aside for economic prosperity supposedly brought by Erdogoan?

No one man is every resonposible for any progress (not even Attaturk himslf). However, the policies of men usually are. In this case, it's Erdogan and his party.

As for people feeling stifled, I think you're overreaching a bit in there, Naxar. Erdogan claims that for every hundred thousand protestors, he can raise a million of his own. And, considering that he won elections three consecutive times, I'd go with his version of events than your second hand one.

(Having said all of that, I still think he's wrong in trying to fast track Turkey into an Islamic Republic. Things are fine as they are).

this is a man who systematically brought under his control every branch/division/agency under his control such as the courts, the military, the police, the parliament, the presidency not to mentioned a business community made up of friends, allies or fearful people. I wouldn't trust any claims of how many people he can raise

NGONGE   

^^ You don't have to. Just check out the results of the last three elections. Are you saying they were rigged? ;)

lol, have you seen the protest in Istanbul, Ankara Izmir and other major cities. I wouldn't but above this guy to rig elections though, he has dark agenda that needs to be stopped.

Naxar. Do you know before the AKP, no Turkish Government was ever voted in twice and many never finished their terms. The military was source of political instability, Their unchecked power and influence hindered the growth of Turkey. To wish their inteference in order to safeguard secularism is to go back to the days where Governments finish their terms or give an opportunity to be elected. The Turkey needs a robust opposition, not a secular dictatorship.

Qaranki   

A very informative piece on what's taking place in Turkey - http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2013/06/talking-turkey/

But – and this is what it is never in the interest of Western politicians to understand – Government bad does not equal protestors good. A very high proportion – more than the British public realise by a very long way – of those protesting in the streets are off the scale far right nationalists of a kind that make the BNP look cuddly and Nigel Farage look like Tony Benn. Kemalism – the worship of Ataturk and a very unpleasant form of military dominated nationalism – remains very strong indeed in Istanbul. Ataturk has a very strong claim, ahead of Mussolini, to be viewed as the inventor of modern fascism

am really not sure that things were ever as bleak as they are painted in pre AK party Turkey. My fear, and I think of all these protesters is, that Erdo and his cronies in government have all but made it impossible to to form this Robust opposition that you speak of. One that would carry on the Economic agenda of Erdogan: diversification of trade ties and looking for more markets outside of Europe. And opposition that would rein back foreign policy back to foreign ministers Davutoğlu "Zero problems with everyone" and returns the country back its secular roots without the draconian policies about hijabs.

that you need to read any nonsense that calls the pro democracy protesters fascist really speaks volumes about your awareness Qaranki just the guy who started this thread and thinks obscure sect of Shias who are behind this lol

Qaranki   

Your responses show that you haven't read the article but still want to dismiss due to a choice quote I picked out, the funny thing is if you do happen to read it I think you'll look back see your error.