Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Toronto mayor Rob Ford crack scandal, Somalis own the evidence

Safferz;951757 wrote:
Your outrage seems empty. There is a lot at stake here, particularly in how race and class collide in story, so if some Somali kids want to run with this, let it be. I think it's powerful.

I have nothing against the dealers themselves. It's the donators and how desperate they are to remove an elected official. History will not only remember a crack addict in office, but also a group of people willing to establish what is essentially a charity coke dealers to finally oust an oaf who is unlikely to return as mayor in next year's elections.

Safferz   

Blackflash;951758 wrote:
I have nothing against the dealers themselves. It's the donators and how desperate they are to remove an elected official. History will not only remember a crack addict in office, but also a group of people willing to establish what is essentially a charity coke dealers to finally oust an oaf who is unlikely to return as mayor in next year's elections.

Various news agencies have already offered to buy the tape, but not at a price acceptable to the guys who own the footage. This is Gawker's effort to raise the necessary funds. It's not unusual practice for journalists to pay shady individuals and organizations to acquire material like this, it happens. I have no issue with purchasing the footage to properly examine it and determine whether the mayor indeed smoked crack -- the fact he did points to a great contradiction, that many folks deal with crack/cocaine but only certain people (like these Somali kids) deal with the consequences for doing so (death, jail time, etc).

Butacaan magaaladeena Koronto waa naga ceebeeye. He is a magnet all things controversial, asagaa isku keeno. He acts and behaves like he was a mayor of a small conservative town. I met him a year ago, of all places, at a McDonald on Kipling Avenue that I took my nieces. Apparently, I later learned, it is his favourite joint. He handed me his famous "personal home phone number" card. Straight to qashinka ku daray.

My favourite paper, Toronto Star's jihaad against him is understandable, though. Their tireless jihaad against him almost resulted his removal from mayoralty office -- until a higher court overturned the conviction. Keep it until this shuluq is removed.

This mayor keeps on running into trouble, or at least that's what Toronto Star wants us to believe. I'll be curious to see if the Star ever apologize for frequent use of "Somali" in that article, I highly doubt it, but we'll see :). Either way, Mayor Ford has a strong backing, and I think his able to win in another election.

underdog   

I'm going on the record as saying The crack tape does NOT exist....and if it does, its FAKE!

No somali drug-dealers to the rich and famous; no clandestine video-buying deals at Dixon. Its all a scam to (yet again) bring down this *****. I don't know which is more pathetic, Rob ford or the lame a$$ attempts to discredit him:

-Driving on while on his phone?

-Alcoholic?

-Grabbed Sarah Thomson's a$$ at a party?

-Used city resources to drive around his charity football team?

-Smokes crack with somalis?

Haatu   

NGONGE;953503 wrote:
This definitely qualifies for a place in the Peruvian thread.
:D

Horta I never understood what that thread was about.

Safferz   

Safferz;951633 wrote:
Update -- my brother spoke to the Toronto Star's public editor today, and she and the editor in chief agree that the article went too far, and they've made the reporters and the rest of the newsroom aware that the unnecessary use of "Somali" is insensitive and socially irresponsible. She's considering putting out a column this weekend about it, so will keep you guys posted if that appears.

Column will be out on Saturday, stay tuned folks.

Wadani   

Safferz;953988 wrote:
Column will be out on Saturday, stay tuned folks.

I commend ur brother for his activism...but the damage is already done. Other media outlets are also using the term 'Somali dealers'. This is Toronto, one of the most Liberal cities in the world, so these journalists and editors who are letting these articles run know full well how racist and irresponsible it is to malign the entire Somali community through association....but they just don't care anymore. It's like a 'yea we know it's wrong, but we're just sick and tired of u Somalis' type of attitude that im sensing.

Safferz   

Wadani;953992 wrote:
I commend ur brother for his activism...but the damage is already done. Other media outlets are also using the term 'Somali dealers'. This is Toronto, one of the most Liberal cities in the world, so these journalists and editors who are letting these articles run know full well how racist and irresponsible it is to malign the entire Somali community through association....but they just don't care anymore. It's like a 'yea we know it's wrong, but we're just sick and tired of u Somalis' type of attitude that im sensing.

You're right but I do think the Star realized that they really f*cked up here, and as responsible journalists they are going to address the social consequences of their mistake. One editorial will not solve the issue of racism facing Somalis in Canada, but I'm glad we can have this conversation on the pages of the Toronto Star, the most widely circulated paper and the one at the centre of this story in the Canadian press.