Sign in to follow this  
nuune

The uniqueness of the Somali Language

nuune;946816 wrote:
^^ Actually
Tallaabo
, to support the name "
Lamme
" which is an ancient name for maalinta isniinta, I had figured out and found few games that contemporary children at early age used to play, the games are:

Gariir
= it is common for gabdhaha to play ciyaarta Gariirka, and it is done with small rocks, girls against each otherr performing this adventure game.

How is
"Lamme
" or "
isniinta
" related to Gariir, here it is:

When Gariir is being played, and you want to count your numbers, numbers in this game are counted in shan-shan, you start by saying this:

Lamme, lamme-kaale, Litte, Litte-abuure, Aw-loojin
, this is like saying, one two three four and five.

So
Lamme
or
isniinta
as being the first day of the week in the Somali Calendar, we can say that traditions has evolved and oral literature has being passed generations to generations.

So we can say that, the game "Gariir" has supported this word "lamme", please don't confuse with Lammo which is number two,vowels in Somali language are dangerous and extra careful is needed.

There was another game, but its seems the word Lamme has being misused, the game is called, "Kuun-kuun", again, it is an adventure game played by girls, when the counting begins, one says
"kuun-kuun
lammina
, lammina-tabaaraka, sarta-una-baraka-siyeedoow-walax, hakayaa, wa.celaa baxayaa"

As you can see, the word "Lamme" referring to as being one has being maintained even though little bit of vowel misuse happened.

The originality of the Somali language is something that needs to be appreciated.

I am now gathering information about Somali Numbers, and the Somali Calendar Year even though ancient people used Somali Seasons to refer to years.

Nuunka, gacan ayaa ii taagan. Lame laba ayaa loola jeedaa, waana lama as Afmaayga iyo Banaadiriga lagu dhaho. Marka 'lame' gariirka lagu dhahaayo dhagaxyada laba laba ayaa loo xisaabinaayaa, shan shan ma'aha. Same with 'kuun kuun laminaa.' Kuun kuun waa koowdii, lamina waa labadii.

Toddobaadkana maadaama 'axad' ka bilowdo, isniin marka waxee noqoneysaa 'lame' ama 'lama' -- maalinta labaad. Marka saa u fahantay ma'aha xaalka.

Cara.   

LOL @ the reasoning behind "Lamme". Keep your day job, Nuune :P

Marksman, great article.

nuune   

lool cara, I had to go and explain in great detail soo ma ahan until MMA dhuundheerta igu dhagey, but my theory still is valid even though I know where MMA is coming from, lamme being used in Bay and Bakool area as well as many parts of Somalia to refer Lamme as labo.

Tallaabo   

Thanks for the good work nuune. Keep our language alive or else the qurbomeer folks will kill it with corrupted foreign words like "malayshiyada dagaalka soo qaaday". Its difficult to know whether they are saying Malaysia(the country) or militia(jabhad);)

Cara.   

^Context matters, dee.

Nuune, even before MMA went all Hulk Smash on your theory waan ka shakisanaa to be honest. Seems like circular reasoning: "lame" means first because it's said at the beginning of this children's counting rhyme, Monday is the first day of the Somali calendar (even though we haven't even established that), therefore "lame" must mean Monday. Please ignore other uses of the word that casts doubt on our conclusion!

Not a linguist but that seems a little iffy.

nuune   

Totally agree with you Cara, after all, we are just gathering information here from different sources(plays, folklore etc), a literature review if any, and one needs to do a research on this subject, Ancient Somali Language, well who is ready, maybe a team from different background need to go ahead, Sheikh Mumin did one but before he could finish his work ayaa tiisa gashey, Allah ha u naxariisto.

Cara, bal adna qandiga soo faag oo nagu soo biiri waxoogaa, aawey cilmul Falakii aad taqiiney horta

SomaliPhilosopher;947142 wrote:
From what I am deducing, af maay maay is the most purest form of ancient somali that we have today. i may have to end my study of maxaa tiri and pick up maay maay

Amaa ku wareertaa hee. Afmaayga in uu ka fac iyo isir weynyahay Afmaxaatiriga waxaa ku garaneysaa qabiilada Soomaalida magacyadooda, especially kuwa Afmaxaatiriga ku hadlo qabiiladooda. For example, qabiilka madaxweynaha Xasan Sh. Maxamuud la wadaago qoloda Xasan Daahir Aweys erey/magac Afmaay uu wataa oo Afmaxaatiriga ka dhumay. Dadka Afmaxaatiriga ku hadlana ereygaas waxee u yaqaanaan 'aroor' ama 'waaberi.' Another example, qabiilka qoloda Faroole iyo Khaliif Galeyr ay kor ka wadaagaan iyagana erey Afmaay wataan, oo Afmaxaatiriga lagu yiraahdo 'nin.'

Just two examples.

Haatu   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;947366 wrote:
Amaa ku wareertaa hee. Afmaayga in uu ka fac iyo isir weynyahay Afmaxaatiriga waxaa ku garaneysaa qabiilada Soomaalida magacyadooda, especially kuwa Afmaxaatiriga ku hadlo qabiiladooda. For example, qabiilka madaxweynaha Xasan Sh. Maxamuud la wadaago qoloda Xasan Daahir Aweys erey/magac Afmaay uu wataa oo Afmaxaatiriga ka dhumay. Dadka Afmaxaatiriga ku hadlana ereygaas waxee u yaqaanaan 'aroor' ama 'waaberi.' Another example, qabiilka qoloda Faroole iyo Khaliif Galeyr ay kor ka wadaagaan iyagana erey Afmaay wataan, oo Afmaxaatiriga lagu yiraahdo 'nin.'

Just two examples.

Oh this got me interested. What does my mean in Maayga? In Maxaatiriga it just sounds like "they realised" but is it different in yours?

Miyir   

maxaa = maay waa isku micno

1- maxaa rabtaa

2- maay fadee

afar friend told me afars will say. maay rabtaa mix of maxaa and maay dialect