Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Imported 'Somali' Words

nuune;945570 wrote:
I am sorry to dissapoint you all, but every word you mentioned there has its own Somali original word, including the days of the week, numbers, and everything else you are writing all down there, some people just prefer to use imported words, others don't and preserve the language.

Very intresting, could you motivate yourself more? examples?

I think 40% of the Somali language is arabic especially words also there is lots of indian English and British and kiswahili elements particularly in the south.

NGONGE;945562 wrote:
Other than sambusa nd babuur, I think all the others are Arabic, saaxib. I'm surprised that you think the word Kursi is indian. I'd of course understand it if you were one of our atheist nomads (anyone else would have heard of ayaat al KURSI).
:P

Lol, You know people thought the arabs invented Zero only to be found out later the borrowed it from India. You do also know that India and Arabia had contact before Islam. Am sticking to my claim here sxb, each and everyone of those words and more are borrowed Hindi words.

Safferz;945148 wrote:
Some words certainly are, but I'm not so sure about these ones... for instance, we know that soap (at least the what we know as soap today) has its origins in the Middle East, so it makes sense that the word sabuun is Arabic. I also don't agree that Arabic is not foreign to us, and the Arabic imprint on our language is much less than most people think. The African language with the most Arabic vocabulary is Swahili, and even then the words of Arabic origin only make up something like 20% of the Swahili lexicon.

The invention of Soap has many origins from ancient Babylonians and Egyptians to Romans, in fact the word soap comes from seipo, a Celtic word that is oddly not that far in sound from sabuun. As much as we know that Arabs borrowed, knowledge wise, I don't think its surprising to find Hindi words in arabic.

As for Somali having less arabic then Swahili which is only 20%, it really depends. Have you ever went to house where they speak af woqoyi, maybe that would change you mind.

Safferz   

I'm from the north too. I'm just repeating what I know from linguistics, Somali does not have more Arabic derived words than Swahili.

Safferz;945604 wrote:
I'm from the north too. I'm just repeating what I know from linguistics, Somali does not have more Arabic derived words than Swahili.

Dhusamareb is NOT north, inaar...... ee naga daa bahasha.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;945625 wrote:
Dhusamareb is NOT north, inaar...... ee naga daa bahasha.

Who said I'm from Dhusamareb? lol

Safferz;945638 wrote:
Sister
:P
I consider Hargeisa to be my hometown, since my mom is from there and my dad grew up there.

ooh your a woman my bad , oke fine so dhawoow.