Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Traveling in Kililka 5ad

Safferz   

Has anyone here been to the region recently? I'm going to Ethiopia in about a month, and I'm starting to think about some of the logistics and security concerns for my (solo) trip there. I've made a lot of inquiries and talked to people before planning my itinerary but I'll raise a few questions/concerns here on SOL for additional insight. Most of my time in the Somali region will be in Jijiga, with shorter visits to smaller towns like Degeh Bur and Kebri Dahar.

- fieldwork equipment -- DSLR, tape recorder, laptop, etc. I'm wondering if the visibility of professional camera will be an issue (never a problem in Somalia, and the tape recorder is easy enough to tuck away somewhere)... should I take a smaller, more discrete camera?

- traveling alone as a woman -- how do women typically dress? is it similar to say, Hargeisa? is street harassment as much of a problem?

- internet/communication -- is it difficult to find internet (restaurants with wi-fi, internet cafes, etc) outside of Jijiga?

- language -- how widely spoken is Amharic, and is it possible to practice speaking it there?

- overall safety -- anything to be aware of or keep in mind? particularly for a researcher...

Safferz   

Mad_Mullah;944514 wrote:
No cameras. They'll sy you're ONLF -- look at Maktal he's got a Canadian passport and they're still not letting him go.

Makhtal is not a random name in the context of regional politics and resistance -- his grandfather was Makhtal Dahir, so the case is more complex than the rendition of a regular Somali (not that he has any association with the ONLF, but his family connection is the logic of this particular arrest). Have you been to the region or is this your perception of safety there?

Im inclined to agree with the dervish on the camera issue. I had issues with cameras in both hargeisa and xamar.i would expect jigjiga to be the same. Though from experience best way to combat this is to use your camera when your with a well versed and known local, who can talk you out of situations, and always ask permission if its a close up at least.

Safferz   

SP, I haven't had issues with my camera in Somalia, so it's not everyday people I'm worried about... my concern is police, soldiers, etc, but I'm not aware of the political climate and practical restrictions since I haven't been there recently so I'm hoping someone who has can speak to that question.

Safferz   

Chimera;944522 wrote:
No mahram? This is not NYC, Seoul or Vienna.

It's not the 7th century either. I live alone, I travel alone and I have no issue getting around by myself.

Safferz   

Chimera;944528 wrote:
Wow, you go girl.

:)

SomaliPhilosopher;944526 wrote:
Yea safferz the police and soldiers are the main concern and who I was mainly referring to. Both of my run ups have been with them. Not fun! !

Ahh, I see. I'll leave the big camera at home, in that case.

Maaddeey   

You speak Amharic, know Maqtal is in jail because of his loyalty to/ grandfather's resistence history and still don't know how to dress or if a camera is an issue!.

Take Chimera's advice, Mahram la'aan lama socdo meeshaas, har cadaa lagu feenanaaa!. :D

Safferz   

Maaddeey;944556 wrote:
You speak Amharic, know Maqtal is in jail because of his loyalty to/ grandfather's resistence history and still don't know how to dress or if a camera is an issue!

No need to mock me, I'm well aware of how women dress but wanted more specific information because even this varies across the Somali territories. Fot instance I was able to wear my regular sundresses with a cardigan and hijab in Hargeisa, but I could not do that in Mogadishu. And as I mentioned, I have a professional camera and take photos without issue in Somalia so I was asking about the Somali region of Ethiopia specifically. I am looking for info from people who have been there recently, not those projecting their own ideas about the conditions there from afar.

Maaddeey   

I am not mocking you, why would you think so?. :)

You know Amharic mean you intract with Ethiopians and know the culture and dress sense of various cities and towns. if you really need advice don't travel alone specially outside kililka soomaalida, mutawwaqiyyah (ethiopian id) qaado.