Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Boston on Lock-Down

Safferz   

^^ completely agree Che, it really did feel like something straight out of a movie.

SomaliPhilosopher;940149 wrote:
Perhaps that is all he wanted safferz

He's a 19 year old kid and judging by how things have unfolded this week, I doubt he had the foresight... not to mention no one could have predicted this level of state response. I'm happy he's been caught, but I do think there's something more to this display of state power in the pursuit of a 'terrorist.' It'll be interesting to see how things go from here.

Safferz;940153 wrote:
^^ completely agree Che, it really did feel like something straight out of a movie.

All the guy has to do is commit suicide while in custody, and it will truly be a movie indeed.

I have an honest question that stems from the denial of the validity of these events by every Muslim on my Facebook feed. Why are they so easily offended by the idea of two Muslims killing in the name of Islam? Whether it's the Illuminati or baby-eating Jews, they'll claim someone else is behind these 'blatant false-flag operations', and choose instead to ignore what's happened in London, Madrid, Toulouse and now Boston.

Please refrain from citing the OKC bombing, Sandy hook and Aurora shootings. This isn't about the events themselves, but the butt-hurt that ensues afterwards.

Blackfish, prior to identifying the bombers as Muslim, practically the entire diaspora ummah whether aloud or silently, were begging for the suspects to not be Muslim. When photos were released of one of the suspects rocking a snapback backwards, their minds were put at ease, as they believed the bombers to be other than Muslim. Shortly after, the news report the contrary. Worry + Ease + greater worry is too much for the mind to handle and makes the mind very receptive to denial.

Safferz   

Blackflash;940180 wrote:
I have an honest question that stems from the denial of the validity of these events by every Muslim on my Facebook feed. Why are they so easily offended by the idea of two Muslims killing in the name of Islam? Whether it's the Illuminati or baby-eating Jews, they'll claim someone else is behind these 'blatant false-flag operations', and choose instead to ignore what's happened in London, Madrid, Toulouse and now Boston.

Please refrain from citing the OKC bombing, Sandy hook and Aurora shootings. This isn't about the events themselves, but the butt-hurt that ensues afterwards.

(I am going to cite OKC, Aurora, Sandy Hook and other white male crimes though...)

I can't say I've ever seen denial in the way you've described it. But I can certainly understand the frustration with the discourse surrounding terrorism -- how it's seen as something acted out by foreigners (read: Muslims) against "us" (read: Americans/Westerners), and how every attack - even when we know very little about it - is always narrated in those terms. Even what counts as terrorism is deeply shaped by these ideas. What do we know about the Boston suspects' motives? Why are we so quick to assume that their Islam or their ethnic background had anything to do with their criminal acts? The issue here is that when you are a Muslim, or any other minority for that matter, your crime becomes representative in the eyes of the majority as an example of your group's pathology. A white criminal, on the other hand, is one "bad apple" and a troubled individual.

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;940172 wrote:
All the guy has to do is commit suicide while in custody, and it will truly be a movie indeed.

I'm sure Ben Affleck is writing the script as we speak lol

Safferz   

SomaliPhilosopher;940188 wrote:
Safferz, is it wrong for me to feel some sadness for the guy?

Ben Affleck or the suspect? :)

Safferz;940183 wrote:
(I am going to cite OKC, Aurora, Sandy Hook and other white male crimes though...)

I can't say I've ever seen denial in the way you've described it. But I can certainly understand the frustration with the discourse surrounding terrorism -- how it's seen as something acted out by foreigners (read: Muslims) against "us" (read: Americans/Westerners), and how every attack - even when we know very little about it - is always narrated in those terms. Even what counts as terrorism is deeply shaped by these ideas. What do we know about the Boston suspects' motives? Why are we so quick to assume that their Islam or their ethnic background had anything to do with their criminal acts? The issue here is that when you are a Muslim, or any other minority for that matter, your crime becomes representative in the eyes of the majority as an example of your group's pathology. A white criminal, on the other hand, is one "bad apple" and a troubled individual.

It's not the issue of unfair generalizations I'm failing to understand, my problem lies with the reaction to any criticism I or anyone else gives. Even when discussing the potential case of a Canadian-Somali student playing a role in a Mogadishu attack the other day, a friend of mine immediately deflected the blame on to the Canadian government, and their supposed inability to 'understand' the Somali community.

Why can't one discuss endemic problems, of course taking in to account any perceived obstacles (discrimination, prejudice etc.), rather than wait until said obstacles dissipate?

beantown is the most herostratic place in America!! I feel sorry for the pple there what the events they went thru lately...its a horrific tragedy

I wash yall pple good vibes.

I am sure things will be more +ve in the near future for beantown folks. Peace!!