Sign in to follow this  
Nin-Yaaban

The Internet: Faa'ido mise Khasaaro?

Ok how about the kids (teenagers, adolescence) who grew up with the Internet as being part of their life and have taken it for granted? Anyone think this is the most affected group? When i was growing up, we had to go outside and play with other kids, hang out, socialize, and everything else. The kids that are growing up now, and i see alot of them in Minnesota are lacking all those things. You have a whole generation coming up right now that don't have the values we grew up. And it's scary.

STOIC   

NY...Yeah but it will only be a problem if they don't have parental supervision and guidance.Maybe the psychology or socialogiy students here can help us, but I believe it all depends on their upbringing. Some people strive to bringing up prodigies while others don't care parenting internet addicted priceless slackers lol

Jacpher;937950 wrote:
Stoic, you are not alone, my youtube browser history is full of two things, muxaadaro arabic lectures and high tech videos and kid cartoons that my little ones watch from time to time.

My days of too much internet time is gone. These days it is about academia, research and business. I could be sitting in front of the computer all day and not check email or social networking sites. I tell you too much internet and electronics in our life these days. I did turn off my cell for four days straight about a month ago and walaahi it felt so liberating. It was not fun for family and friends tho. I liked leaving the phone home and not worrying at all. If you gonna try, one downside there is, you get home tired and only to find out you gotta go back because so and so is in the hospital or stuck somewhere.

Jacpher, very nice sxb. It's good to see someone who isn't so easily distracted and can focus. I sometimes promise myself i would spend 30 minutes browsing, and get right back to work. But one thing leads to another (Youtube, Wikipedia, News, Forums, random things) and i realize 3hrs have passed doing nothing but looking at stuff.

Coofle   

My life started the moment I became familiar with the internet.....I don't know how I lived before..

Connecting with families and friends all over the world with a click (Skype = maqal iyo muuqaal)

All knowledge accessible through a simple google search

Background check on people (Almost everyone who is a regular internet user have online imprint)

No more Maalaa yacni....I can spend my free time in wikipedia and have fun from link to another

Don't forget Youtube (You can learn basically everything in youtube, from fixing a door **** to hacking computers...Using musical instruments, tons and tons of muxaadarooyin and cultural media..poems, songs etc)

its like real life...people who spend their real real time doing useless staff will do useless staff on internet,,,those who do useful staff in real life will do useful staff in cyber life.....don't blame the internet..and there is no new harm the internet have introduced ,,,bad things were all availabe but in different ways..

D.O.C   

This is the question that everyone is dreading to know. I don't know myself but with a basic awareness and sensibility, nobody can go astray.

Tallaabo   

Nin-Yaaban;937925 wrote:
Runtaa, but in the same token, do you think it made people just a lot more lazier by depending on the Internet for everything?

There is this 17yr old kid, aan adeer u ahay. He has the attention span of 4yr old kid. He can't disconnect from his laptop/cellphone long enuff to really think about things deeply. He'd give you really short answers to everything, and he's very abrupt about everything. Personally, i think it's doing a lot of harm to most of the younger generation.

Cunugga yari ma kombuyuutarka ayuu kaaga kici waayay;)

Faheema.   

Information has always been there...it's not something the internet has introduced. The Internet has made us lazy and anti-social..., instead of going out there and finding the information we need and communicating with others, we just google away and voila! Yes, it is convenient, and brings everything you need with a click instead of going through endless pages and spending endless hours in a library or attending a lecture on the other side of town BUT is that a price to pay for human interaction?

Blessed   

^granted that you live in a country where libraries are accessible, where there are good universities, institutes which offer that type of learning that you're after and that you have a lot of time at your disposal. Also, emailing, skyping and communicating with others is still human led.

The only thing that annoys me are people who meet you and then spend half the time on their phone-- ironically, tweeting / FBing about the great time you're supposedly having. Grrr!

Faheema.   

Blessed...And those of us who have access to the internet also have the luxury of libraries, universities etc. If it were free for all and easily accessible to every village in every corner of the earth, then I would say yes the internet faa’ido badan buu leeyahay. But the fact remains those who can’t afford it still go about their usual ways in which to acquire knowledge.

The only thing that annoys me are people who meet you and then spend half the time on their phone-- ironically, tweeting / FBing about the great time you're supposedly having. Grrr!

lol I agree, that is so irritating.