Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Kismayo talks collapse says Somali government

Hiiraan Online

Friday, March 29, 2013

After five days of negotiations, Somalia’s federal government announced collapse of the long awaited talks led by the Somali prime minister Abdi Farah Shirdon and Kismayo’s interim governor Ahmed Madobe.

Somali Interior minister Abdkarim Hussien Guled who has accompanied the prime minister in Kismayo talks made the announcement at a press conference in the city.

“Negotiations between Somali federal government and Kismayo interim administration hit a deadlock” said Mr. Abdikarim.

He pointed out that his government made many sacrifices for it’s constitutional rights in order to break the deadlock and accused the interim administration for not doing enough to reach a political settlement.

“Our discussions were focusing on the creation of local administration, management of the port and airport, security, reconciliation and the liberation of the remaining areas, but all of them collapsed after the local leaders made unconstitutional demands” said the minister.

There are reports indicating that some of the federal government delegation have left Kismayo following the disagreements.

Interim administration of Kismayo which is led by Shiekh Ahmed Madobe is yet to comment on the matter.

The failure of the talks came after Somali Prime Minister Abdi Farah Shirdon arrived in Kismayo on Tuesday with high level delegation of ministers and MPs and started direct negotiations with local leaders.

Ahmed Abdisamad

asamad@hiiraan.com

The Jubbaland process of forming a clan dominated state shows how ugly clan federalism can be lets see how it goes, i believe the government can overcome this one.

What kind of unconstitutional demands is this clueless minister talking about?

What's wrong with this government and why can't they just be blunt and say we don't want a federal setup and will not accept federalism, period. Culosow cannot fool the masses.

The people of Jubbaland want their federal state, its a simple as that. Showing up in Kismayo with arrogance and without acknowledging the efforts and the struggle that blood, limb and money lost to getting to this stage, disrespecting the hunderds of elders of the region gathered; and dictating matters throwing lists on the table such as setting up 6-month admin from Mogadishu, that does not sound so constitutional now, is it?

This government is doomed to fail right before it even began to crawl. This is not a litmus test but the result of that litmus test.

Nothing is doomed, This is their first face to face discussion. Give it time and see how it plays. It's in our interest these people come to some sort of agreement.

^^Agreed

Here is the PM's press conference

Saacid oo shir jaraaid ku qabtay Muqdisho

Published: March 29, 2013

Raiusal Wasaaraha Soomaaliya Saacid ayaa markii uu kasoo dagay garoonka Caalamiga ah ee Aaden Cadde saxaafadda shir ugu qabtey isagoo ka hadley safarkii iyo wadahadalladii ay lasoo galeen maamulka magaalada Kismaayo. Raisul Wasaaraha ayaa amaan ujeediyey shacabka iyo maamulka KMG ah ee Kismaayo sida wanaagsan ee ay usoo dhaweeyeen isagoo dhanka kalena sheegey in dawladda Federaalka ah ee Soomaaliya aysan waxba ka qabin in ciidamada AMIOSOM ay lasii shaqeeyaan maamulka KMG ah ee magaalada Kismaayo. Sidoo kale mar uu RW ka hadlayay wadahadallahii fashilmay ayuu sheegey in labada dhinac wada hadal dheer kadib ay isku qabteen arimo dastuuri ah.

Saacid oo ka hadlay shirka kasocda Kismaayo ayaa sheegey in odayada badan ee ku xareysan shirkaasi ay iyagu rabaan maamul wanaagsan iyo Soomalinimo isagoo dhanka kalena weeraray in shirkaasi uusan waafqasaneyn dastuurka oo aysan dawladda aqoonsaneyn. Saacid ayaa shacabka Kismaayo iyo maamulka KMG ahba ku amaaney iney yihiin dad dawladda raba ayna soodhaweyn, sooryeyn iyo sagootis wanaagsan isgu dareen. Saacid ayaa sheegey inuu wadatashi dawladdiisa ugu soo laabtay isagoo sheegey iney Kismaayo la tageen qorshe maamul goboleed lix bilood ah balse laga diiday isagoo sheegey in laga codsadey iney shirka Jaamicadda kasocda ay ka qaybgalaan.

Hadalkan kasoo yeeray RW Saacid oo ahaa mid lasii ogaa intii aysan waftigani Kismaayo tagin isla markaana ahaa mid si wanaagsan loo dhigay kuna qotoma farqigii udhaxeeyay labada dhinac. Ma jiro wax hadal ah oo kasoo baxay dhanka maamulka Kismaayo oo kusaabsan arimahan balse waxaa lagu wadaa iney isla maantaba saxaafdda sharaxaad kasiiyaan wadahadalladii dumay iyo fikirkooda.

The PM said he came back for more consultation with his government. He said there are many delegates that are present at Kismayo who want to establish federal state. He said people of Jubba region and their temporary administration want and support central government.

The PM said the conflict is a constitutional one. This is a fact we repeated many times in these boards.

Che,

It is not as bad as it seems. I heard all other points were agreed and in fact the local players compromised on them. But the establishment of a federal state NOW, and as a direct result of the ongoing conference at the university was something the locals could not give away. The PM and his team , I heard appreciated the fact that there are hundreds of delegates that come from far away regions to participate in this conference but the federal government seems to have an overarching policy from the president...this is why they had to go back to Mogadishu for final consultation.

More likely that they will come back and hammer deal with the locals----this is too vital a region to antagonize its innocent people by denying them their constitutional rights

^That is just nothing bu a lip service.

Take my word duqa, there is no decision this guy can take. He went there with a per-prepared list. WTF. What the hell is wrong with this PM, I Knew he was weak but had no idea to this point.

One must be able to make a decision based on the talks you have with the other side and depending on how the outcome pans out. Hadii kale oo waxa Culusow kuusoo qoray aad rabtid kaliya Kaas wadahal lama dhaho waa wax lagu shubte. Wadahadal micnihisa waa laba qof in midkasta waxa uu haystay jeebka gashado ee lawada markaas wax la isla gaaro balse Saacid markasta warqad ayuu lasoo baxaayay for three days discussion sidii uu gu akhrin lahaa. That's disgrace.

^^But he is an appointed leader, and has a hierarchy and a boss to report to, and I respect that. The president will ultimately own this, it will be his failure or success. Saacid is the prime minister , he executes President's policies. He is in a tough position.

The PM is between two fires: locals (very organized) vs. the president's direction (rigid it seems, and out of sync with current realities)

Waranle...You need to remember Saacid represents the Government and is there to do its bidding. Now if you are insulting him because he didn't agree to everything you want, that's another story but he's represent the Government.

Xiin...The President was elected under this Constitution and he knows Somalia can not be held together by highly centralized Government but I think this could do be done. And we need to appreciate the fact if this is not done carefully, it will lead to new conflicts. Everybody will need to play their role including the Parliament which so far has been absent from this.

Che, agreed with the 'careful' part.

The parliament is rightly staying out of this. Their role will come when there is a state to approve. Remember the constitution defines the borders of the regions as those of the 18 regions under the last legitimate government of late Siyad Barre. So no one anticipates any border conflicts. Once a state is established by the consent of its leaders, the parliament will approve it. And then and only then, will the parliament and government engage with the new state in matters concerning revenue sharing, militia integration, service delivery and all the institutional building stuff Hassan campaigned on.

This business of trying to jump in front of the local process is futile...the sooner they realize that better for all concern

Che, I don't want him to do what I want. I want him to think out of the box and do away with the spelling of a list.

My point is simple Che, when you are going to talks neither you nor the other side knows the outcome but you all have expectations. Now how can you call that talks if you have a list of the outcome with you written down for you from Mogadishu? Saaxid this is not what I'm making up, the list that he had with him were written on all the websites, days before he even went there and same list ayuu lasoo baxay. Isn't that a disgrace. For me my understanding of 'talks' is totally, you talk to the opponent and then see how that develops and make judgement based on that do you arrive at the list. Markaas ayaa ladhahaa, waa list-gi kasoo baxay wadahadalka. I hope you understand what I mean.

Carafaat   

xiinfaniin;931725 wrote:
The PM said he came back for
more consultation with his government
. He said there are many delegates that are present at Kismayo who want to establish federal state. He said people of Jubba region and their temporary administration want and support central government.

The PM said the
conflict is a constitutional one
. This is a fact we repeated many times in these boards.

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/showthread.php/70073-The-Somali-Constitution-on-Federalism?highlight=Somali+Constitution+Federalism

xiinfaniin;925154 wrote:
^Did you read the constitution?

Being part time politician is not excuse for being lazy waryaa
:D

The disagreement on Jubba Conference is not about its constitutionality. It is , I repeat, about pure politicking
..which does not surprise anyone. In fact, given the significance of the region, political games are expected from the administration

Xiin, glad you admit now this issue is a constitutional disagreement. Now why dont stop tribalising and politizing this issue and leave is to the Parliament to resolve.

Baashi   

This much was known and expected. There is no news here. The tidbit folks of that neck are waiting is President Hassan's next move.