Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Dr.Sada Mire on digital preservation of Somali heritage

Haatu   

Wallee wey dedaaleen. I like her start. At every platform, one must do his bit for the general course (i.e. recognition) :D

Other than that, I keep telling Xaajiga we're an ancient people and not Hashimis or Arabs (:D). We need more archaeologists and more organisations to preserve our heritage an culture. I propose every Somali area to have a Golaha Dhaqanka Soomaaliyeed.

Carafaat;929719 wrote:
I have a crush on this girl wallahi. Could someone help me out, and introduce me to her.

inaar, she's alright but you soon, quickly realise, there's little substance to her.

is sada a cultural pioneering heroine or a cultural artifacts criminal who should be summoned to the ICC?

this woman, this being, this self-aggrandising ''archaeologist'', this pseudo-intellectual.....belongs on a prime-time soap-opera, playing the role of a sexy diva than to be given the stage to lecture us. of course, she'll never admit to being a self-hater and a sell-out whose single-handedly done more damage to our precious ''somaliland'' and its cultural heritage, than good. she's played a pivotal role and was indeed complicit in aiding and abetting hundreds of European and particularly french cultural artifacts thieves from Montpelier university, to steal historical artifacts from various sites across this desolate wasteland.....and for what? so....she could be given the platform to deliver pathetic and ill-informed speeches, on the ''begging-bowls circuits'', purporting to support SL. she's been implanted to infiltrate our culture and to be quite frank, i'm not convinced of her loyalties to SL or what she hopes to achieve, here, or anywhere else.

for goodness sakes, someone ought to inform this cultural artifacts criminal that the ''victim mentality of Somaliland'', reeks of self-pity and no longer pasts as a ''legitimate'' cause, worthy of mentioning, at least, at the international community level. and why does she have a weak pathetic voice, punting and struggling for consistence in speech, as though she's got chronic bowls syndrome.

Safferz   

How is she a self-hater? Or a pseudo-intellectual? She's dedicated her career to the identification, study and preservation of Somali archaeological sites and artifacts. It was her initiative to create a ministry of antiquities in Somaliland for the protection of these sites. And if artifacts risk theft, desecration and neglect in Somalia, what's wrong with an institution outside of Somalia with better expertise and resources preserving artifacts for us until we develop our own institutions to protect them?

Maarodi   

Alpha Blondy;929758 wrote:
and why does she have a weak pathetic voice, punting and struggling for consistence in speech, as though she's got chronic bowls syndrome.

Well dang, I see you have a lot of pent up anger. People aren't born orators, public speaking takes a lot of gut and practice.

Blessed   

As always Alpha stands on the shoulders of giants in his attention seeking. Tut, tut inaar.

Well done Sada and to the new crop of Somali intellectuals who are dedicated telling our story to the world..

Safferz;929788 wrote:
How is she a self-hater? Or a pseudo-intellectual? She's dedicated her career to the identification, study and preservation of Somali archaeological sites and artifacts. It was her initiative to create a ministry of antiquities in Somaliland for the protection of these sites. And if artifacts risk theft, desecration and neglect in Somalia, what's wrong with an institution outside of Somalia with better expertise and resources preserving artifacts for us until we develop our own institutions to protect them?

Safferz,

are you familiar with the Elgin Marbles?

*Blessed;929815 wrote:
As always Alpha stands on the shoulders of giants in his attention seeking. Tut, tut
inaar

you don't know what you're talking about, inaar.

Carafaat;929825 wrote:
Alpha, inaar, what did she do to you? Did she decline your invite for a Soiree? Spill the beans.

she falls below the standard for my social events. sada 'artifacts thief' mire is a joke.

Maarodi;929809 wrote:
Well dang, I see you have a lot of pent up anger. People aren't born orators, public speaking takes a lot of gut and practice.

why then parade yourself on the stage?

Ibtisam   

I wonder what become of this project? I know she took sometime off to have her baby and then I never heard anything else back. It was a good initiative. We need Somali archives not just for arts- so much history lost. I feel sad every time I see 90 something year old person passing away with all their experience, memories and knowledge. Truly depressing.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;929829 wrote:
Safferz,

are you familiar with the Elgin Marbles?

Yes, but how is that comparable to Sada Mire? She is a Somali who is facing immense challenges trying to preserve material culture in a resource poor and conflict/post-conflict context. She emphasizes local knowledge and protection of local sites, but if for some reason certain artifacts risk destruction and deterioration in Somalia, why is it a problem if she sends them to Europe for preservation?

*Ibtisam;929877 wrote:
I wonder what become of this project? I know she took sometime off to have her baby and then I never heard anything else back. It was a good initiative. We need Somali archives not just for arts- so much history lost. I feel sad every time I see 90 something year old person passing away with all their experience, memories and knowledge. Truly depressing.

We HAD Somali national archives, and I've been trying to figure out whether anything remains there in Mogadishu and what happened to local and regional archive offices. Indiana University has a significant collection of Siad Barre era materials (especially political posters, audio recordings, and Somali language books/publications), and I've managed to collect some stuff from people's personal collections. I remember asking an elderly man what happened to district level documents from British Somaliland (dispatches to London and major documents can be found in the UK, but most African countries today have kept the local/regional documents in their own archives) and he told me the first Somali governor of northern Somalia burned EVERYTHING after independence because he associated it with colonialism. I wonder if the dictatorship's documents were similarly destroyed during the civil war :(