Sign in to follow this  
Mintid Farayar

U.S. Dual Track Policy in Place for Somaliland - U.S. Amb.Swan

U.S. Special Representative for Somalia, Amb. James Swann, confirms the U.S. Dual-Track Policy is still in effect in terms of relations with Somaliland. Below is the State Dept video interview confirming the policy's continuation.

I hope this doesn't ruin the weekend for the anti-Somaliland battalion ;)

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Well thats very good President siilaanyo was right after all that the governmental recognition of Somalia will not have effect on Somaliland and its dealings with the US state department. But Mintid Farayar what does this mean for the pirates next door?

In the spirit of the weekend fun, I thought I would transcribe the Ambassador's statement for my SOL friends unable to view video on their systems. It starts at 5:41 for those able to view the video file. Enjoy ;)

{Question}

How does the U.S. government reconcile recognizing the SFG as the official government of Somalia while at the same time dealing directly with Somaliland?

{Amb. Swan}

The U.S. and many other international partners, certainly, have great respect for the efforts made by the Somaliland people over a number of years in terms of maintaining a high degree of stability in the Somaliland territory, in terms of impressive gains on the governance front including holding a number of elections that have been of a high standard and certainly also with respect to efforts that have been made by that population to improve their economy and livelihoods. The U.S., certainly, intends to continue its engagement with the Somaliland population and administration in terms of humanitarian response, in terms of reconstruction and development activities, and in terms of our shared governance agenda.

At the same time, the United States position is fully consistent with the United Nations, the African Union, the neighboring countries of Somalia, in terms of recognizing the national government in Mogadishu and in January, President Hassan Sheikh Mahamoud visited Washington and there was a formal exchange of notes with then-Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton that re-established formal U.S. recognition of Somalia for the first time since 1991. So our position is very much consistent with the African Union position, the UN position in terms of recognition of the Somali National Government yet we also want to continue our engagement and relationship with Somaliland for the benefit of that population.

Miyir   

Mintid Farayar;929368 wrote:
In the spirit of the weekend fun, I thought I would transcribe the Ambassador's statement for my SOL friends unable to view video on their systems. It starts at 5:41 for those able to view the video file. Enjoy
;)

{Question}

How does the U.S. government reconcile recognizing the SFG as the official government of Somalia while at the same time dealing directly with Somaliland?

{Amb. Swan}

The U.S. and many other international partners, certainly, have great respect for the efforts made by the Somaliland people over a number of years in terms of maintaining a high degree of stability in the Somaliland territory, in terms of impressive gains on the governance front including holding a number of elections that have been of a high standard and certainly also with respect to efforts that have been made by that population to improve their economy and livelihoods. The U.S., certainly, intends to continue its engagement with the Somaliland population and administration in terms of humanitarian response, in terms of reconstruction and development activities, and in terms of our shared governance agenda.

[
I]
At the same time, the United States position is fully consistent with the United Nations, the African Union, the neighboring countries of Somalia, in terms of recognizing the national government in Mogadishu and in January, President Hassan Sheikh Mahamoud visited Washington and there was a formal exchange of notes with then-Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton that re-established formal U.S. recognition of Somalia for the first time since 1991. So our position is very much consistent with the African Union position, the UN position in terms of recognition of the Somali National Government
yet we also want to continue our engagement and relationship with Somaliland for the benefit of that population
[/b]

Humanitarian assistance for the people who are held hostage to separatist dream I see nothing wrong with that.

The message is very clear, whats your take ?

Dr_Osman   

I dont remember siilanyo calling for dual track policy when the big congress meeting in washington took place a few years back. I remember farole ushering it and championing for it and guess what he got it.

Remember a successful puntland is in the best interest of the nation and somali people. End of discussion

Naxar,

I think you're grasping at straws here. But if it will make you feel better, the U.S. is no closer to recognizing Somaliland so you can rest on that score( at least in the near future) ;)

Now, as for your Clinton posting above: The Sec of State was asked a question re:the dual track policy and proceeded to diplomatically side-step it. This is understandable since it was a day to showcase the recognition of the Mogadishu-based Somali National Government. It would be bad form to cloud that with inconvenient facts about other Somali players the U.S. deals directly with.

Fast forward to this week and a sit-down interview with the U.S. Special Representative for Somalia(which is the actual level where tactical Somali policy is set; we're not significant enough to make it to the Secretary level). He was asked a direct question by someone who seemed actually aware of the U.S. double-dealing(for lack of a better term) in having a direct relationship with Somaliland.

The Ambassador was as direct as diplomatically allowed: We, the U.S., are in alignment with current U.N. and A.U. policy regarding recognizing Mogadishu as the nominal gov't of Somalia; however at the same time, we'll continue dealing directly with Somaliland (intimating its separate, special status within the former Somalia).

Note all the praise for its stellar accomplishments the Ambassador heaps on Somaliland - while all he can say for the rest of the former Somalia is to simply herald the recognition of the Mogadishu gov't, an act bestowed by the Americans.

So, my dear friend, as we've told the gallery countless times, Somaliland's accomplishments are there for the whole world to see and still remains the only example the world can point to of Somalis actually achieving something collectively when it comes to governance.

Odey   

I see no problem if they get their humanitarian aid, which this essentially is. He re-affirmed the US position and that they will only deal with xamar when it comes to matters of National significance. I don't mind USAID visiting that region and helping it prosper ;)

Miyir   

Mintid Farayar;929499 wrote:
Naxar,

I think you're grasping at straws here. But if it will make you feel better, the U.S. is no closer to recognizing Somaliland so you can rest on that score( at least in the near future)
;)

Now, as for your Clinton posting above: The Sec of State was asked a question re:the dual track policy and proceeded to diplomatically side-step it. This is understandable since it was a day to showcase the recognition of the Mogadishu-based Somali National Government. It would be bad form to cloud that with inconvenient facts about other Somali players the U.S. deals directly with.

Fast forward to this week and a sit-down interview with the U.S. Special Representative for Somalia(which is the actual level where tactical Somali policy is set; we're not significant enough to make it to the Secretary level). He was asked a direct question by someone who seemed actually aware of the U.S. double-dealing(for lack of a better term) in having a direct relationship with Somaliland.

The Ambassador was as direct as diplomatically allowed: We, the U.S., are in alignment with current U.N. and A.U. policy regarding recognizing Mogadishu as the nominal gov't of Somalia; however at the same time, we'll continue dealing directly with Somaliland (intimating its separate, special status within the former Somalia).

Note all the praise for its stellar accomplishments the Ambassador heaps on Somaliland - while all he can say for the rest of the former Somalia is to simply herald the recognition of the Mogadishu gov't, an act bestowed by the Americans.

So, my dear friend, as we've told the gallery countless times, Somaliland's accomplishments are there for the whole world to see and still remains the
only
example the world can point to of
Somalis actually achieving something collectively
when it comes to
governance.

Contradicting yourself again, what makes you think anyone is unhappy with the duel track Humanitarian assistance policy to Somalia at these stages?.

I don't know any Somali who is unhappy Hargeisa having a good governance as well. what is the fuss?

Calm down, guys. The Dual-Track was never about humanitarian assistance unless we're engaging in a bit of revisionist history. Secondly, it seems you've been out of the loop for some years. Somaliland was placed out of the 'humanitarian assistance' category for the past years and moved to the 'recovery' stage where most of the assistance is 'developmental' whether it's in governance, economic, or security.

If you're unfamiliar with the non-humanitarian nature of the Dual-Track policy, I would be more than happy to repost Asst. Secretary Johnnie Carson's original explanation of what the Dual-Track policy is ;)

Tallaabo   

Odey;929500 wrote:
I see no problem if they get their humanitarian aid, which this essentially is.
He re-affirmed the US position and that they will only deal with xamar when it comes to matters of National significance
. I don't mind USAID visiting that region and helping it prosper
;)

The US will deal with Somaliland directly with regards to our security, governance, and development. So now the question is, about which "matters of national importance" will the US government government talk to Xamar?

Oodweyne;929626 wrote:
the uninitiated intellectual urchins................................ our not-too-bright and back-at-the-class sniffling urchins

;) ;) :)

Oodka,

You definitely have a way with words. You're correct though, it is an exercise in futility.....

The annoying thing is that after 20-some-odd-years of grievous damage to the once-proud Somali name by them and their ilk, they're still standing around with the same old 'Indha-Adeygnimo'. Pity....