Sign in to follow this  
Mintid Farayar

Hassan Sheikh Applies Diplomatic Pressure on Kismayo Finances

Slipped into the UN Arms Embargo resolution of today are these two passages:

Expressing concern at reports of continuous violations of the Somali and United Nations ban on charcoal exports, welcoming the President of Somalia’s task-force on this issue, and recognizing the need to assess urgently, and provide recommendations on, resolving the charcoal issue,

and then later in the resolution, you have this:

Underlines its support for the President of Somalia’s task-force charged with providing solutions on the issue of charcoal in Somalia, demands that all appropriate actors cooperate in full with the task-force, and looks forward to receiving recommendations and options from the Federal Government of Somalia in this regard

Jacpher   

^As if charcoal was financing the formation of Jubooyinka admin. Charcoal is a problem for the all the South, not only Kismaayo. Secessionists so much interest these days in the country they so claim they departed two decades ago, or did they?

Baashi   

^:) @ Mintid

What happen to your noodles boowe. I mean! common man:). Question: can you turn charcoal back into trees? Well, what to do with charcoal (already in sacks) worth of millions sitting at the open fields near the port? This issue has been discussed into death. At issue is not about Kismayo or the formation of federal state in Gannaane valley. At issue is who gets AS's assets. Government in Mogadishu or the so called "liberators" militia commanders. Mogadishu admin says the alone should make the decision of what to do with the $40 million worth loot. IGAD pressured by Kenya says the money should be used funding the on-going fight against AS in Gedo. Madobe et al and his Kenyan's businessmen laugh at the Mogadishu's excursions in the local affairs of their city.

For your information awoowe half of the loot has already been shipped to Gulf States and some of the proceeds are used to fund Kismayo gathering :)

What the UN resolution is talking about is desertification issues which is a huge problem in that area.

Jacpher;924656 wrote:
^As if charcoal was financing the formation of Jubooyinka admin. Charcoal is a problem for the all the South, not only Kismaayo. Secessionists so much interest these days in the country they so claim they departed two decades ago, or did they?

But it is a significant source of funds for the Ras Kamboni group. Where were you when the war over the airwaves was conducted between Mog. and Ras Kamboni - "You cannot export charcoal! .... Yes, I can and will!.... etc.,".

Wasn't that the first political battle between Ras Kamboni and Mogadishu after the expulsion of AS from Kismayo???

Why bother making it an issue if it wasn't such a significant economic prize to the parties involved?

Aah, some people argue just for the sake of arguing......

Baashi below further underlines my point re:the financial significance of the trade for the Ras Kamboni group:

Baashi;924658 wrote:
^
:)
@ Mintid

What happen to your noodles boowe. I mean! common man:). Question: can you turn charcoal back into trees? Well, what to do with charcoal (already in sacks) worth of millions sitting at the open fields near the port? This issue has been discussed into death. At issue is not about Kismayo or the formation of federal state in
Gannaane
valley.
At issue is who gets AS's assets. Government in Mogadishu or the so called "liberators" militia commanders. Mogadishu admin says the alone should make the decision of what to do with the $40 million worth loot.
IGAD pressured by Kenya says the money should be used funding the on-going fight against AS in Gedo. Madobe et al and his Kenyan's businessmen laugh at the Mogadishu's excursions in the local affairs of their city.

For your information awoowe half of the loot has already been shipped to Gulf States and
some of the proceeds are used to fund Kismayo gathering
:)

What the UN resolution is talking about is desertification issues which is a huge problem in that area.

Baashi   

Fair point. But let's not mix up two different issues here. An environmental issue -- and that's what the desertification issue amounts to -- and political issue. The first is what UN resolution is alluding to. The latter is a train that already left the station. The bulk of the charcoal has been sold (to my limited knowledge) and proceeds devvied up between afar jeeblayaal and their backers in Kenya.

Awoowe if you haven't figured aout yet the Kismayo issue is a runaway mustang. The only constituent that can slow it down is that of Gedo constituent. if the PM and his cohorts see it politically advantegous they can complicate the issue by sowing discord between brotherly communities in the area.

Baashi,

You missed the point, sxb!

Regardless of whether the Developing World problem of desertification is the main reason for including the charcoal issue in the UN Resolution, the key point I was highlighting was: this Security Council resolution gives Hassan Sheikh overwhelming control over a resource/financial pipeline that's been a major export of Kismayo port for decades now.

Listed below again, is the second passage:

Underlines its support for the President of Somalia’s task-force charged with providing solutions on the issue of charcoal in Somalia, demands that all appropriate actors cooperate in full with the task-force, and looks forward to receiving recommendations and options from the Federal Government of Somalia in this regard

Now this would be irrelevant as you allude if charcoal exports in the future(after the current inventory at the port is depleted) would cease and no more trees would ever be cut down again. But that's neither realistic nor informed given the poverty of the region and the insatiable demand for the product in the nearby(and very wealthy) Gulf Kingdoms. Not to mention the Ras Kamboni faction's need to self-finance...

So in essence, at least politically, this resolution gives Hassan Sheikh diplomatic leverage he didn't have before (i.e. you're breaking a Security Council resolution if you don't accept 'my solutions' on this issue)

That was my point, in its simplest form.....

Jacpher;924656 wrote:

Nope only in Kismayu. There hasn't been a charcoal export in banaadir,shabelle hoose and galgaduud since 2006

' charcoal export ' has been stopped in Kismayo. The point of contention has been around inventory of harvested charcoal. And that to my knowledge has been settled. The admin will sell the inventory, ganacsadayaashii lahaana waxooday helayaan , maamulkuna wax buu ka helayaa

Macno is as always reading too much into this. Al cilmul qaliil yuqal qilu saaxibah :D

What was that saying about the lamb never seeing the sky till the moment of its beheading?

Xiinow, waar iska illow Mintid and your little bruised ego and look at the issue involved.

1- There's a reason two explicit passages on the charcoal issue are included in an Arms Embargo Security Council Resolution.

2- There's a reason that Somalia is the only place in the world where there's a Security Council Decree outlawing the charcoal trade.

Wax kastaba ma inaan FAR WAAWEYN kuugu qoro miyaa???

Cajiib ;)

^^Awoowe, I am not sure what this 'bruised ego' you keep repeating means. Perhaps you are the one with a bruised ego :D.

Be that as it may, if your conclusion is that Security Council has effectively, by this resolution, killed or halted Jubbaland initiative, then as we said before your over excitement with Kismayo topic is clouding your judgement. If you are however implying today's Council resolutions with respect to lifting the embargo (however weakened its effect may be) represents political victory for the government in Mogadishu, then that is agreeable. Perhaps you are conveniently forgetting this perceived political victory applies to all of Somalia's political players are concern in equal measure, including of course that of your neck of the wood as was apparent in today loud press release in Hargeysa.

So once again, what are you trying to say here ya Macno Yare?

xiinfaniin;924680 wrote:
^^Awoowe, I am not sure what this 'bruised ego' you keep repeating means. Perhaps you are the one with a bruised ego
:D

Be that as it may, if your conclusion is that Security Council has effectively, by this resolution, killed or halted Jubbaland initiative, then as we said before your over excitement with Kismayo topic is clouding your judgement. If you are however implying today's Council resolutions with respect to lifting the embargo (however weakened its effect may be) represents political victory for the government in Mogadishu, then that is agreeable. Perhaps you are conveniently forgetting this perceived political victory applies to all of Somalia's political players are concern in equal measure, including of course that of your neck of the wood as was apparent in today loud press release in Hargeysa.

So once again, what are you trying to say here ya Macno Yare?

Maskiin! You see Mintid and SL behind every door ;)

Ninyahow, are you this slow or are you pretending? ;)

Ku lahaa: "if your conclusion is that Security Council has effectively, by this resolution, killed or halted Jubbaland initiative, then as we said before your over excitement with Kismayo topic is clouding your judgement

Just where did you read me write that? To extremely 'exaggerate' my points in order to score a cheap point with the 'uninitiated' is an expired tactic. Most of SOL has seen you pull that one once too many for it to work much longer ;)

Are you having trouble understanding what the 'jist' of the contention is(the above argument you stumbled into)? Is that the challenge/trouble you're having here? If so, just say so, and more discerning minds will be sure to lend a hand with the comprehension issue.

In the meantime, Iska jir Xassan iyo Seeftuu kuu soo wado!......

Just don't say I didn't warn you ;)

^^President Hassan is a national leader who has an intention (perhaps a good one) to define the political terms of post transition Somalia. He is not a warlord. Thus far his attempts to influence Jubba politics has been carried out in acceptable politicking that is clearly in line of how politics ought to be conducted in post transition Somalia. Our disagreements with the president does not go beyond the interpretation of what federalism means. We believe Jubba leadership has the political high ground with respect to this argument. Consequently our national leaders will come around, accept and endorse it. They are not however wrong from political perspective in their attempt to shape, influence and water down the significance of state that is about to emerge at the mouth of Mogadishu for obvious political reasons.

Now you take that simple, internal political argument and want to buttress with Security Council resolutions. That my friend I find it insulting to the intelligence of the readership of this fora. And when you got caught peddling such a nonsense, you play victim :D :D, and complain about xiinfaniin...

Today the Security Council has issued significant resolutions concerning Somalia. The long arms embargo has been lifted partially. It is a victory for the Somali government, and they should be given credit for procuring their request in a way western countries can understand i.e. fight against alshaaab to strengthen Somalia's security forces. Charcoal export has been a source of alshabaab financing...and Kismayo port was the port that sustained them. Jubbaland is a grass root initiative that cannot be stopped regardless of what anyone else wishes against it. It has a security ramification that goes beyond Somalia...get that waryaa.

That i s lesson 1 today yaa Macno Yare.

xiinfaniin;924697 wrote:
^^President Hassan is a national leader who has an intention (perhaps a good one) to define the political terms of post transition Somalia. He is not a warlord. Thus far his attempts to influence Jubba politics has been carried out in acceptable politicking that is clearly in line of how politics ought to be conducted in post transition Somalia. Our disagreements with the president does not go beyond the interpretation of what federalism means. We believe Jubba leadership has the political high ground with respect to this argument. Consequently our national leaders will come around, accept and endorse it. They are not however wrong from political perspective in their attempt to shape, influence and water down the significance of state that is about to emerge at the mouth of Mogadishu for obvious political reasons.

Now you take that simple, internal political argument and want to buttress with Security Council resolutions. That my friend I find it insulting to the intelligence of the readership of this fora. And when you got caught peddling such a nonsense, you play victim
:D
:D, and complain about xiinfaniin...

Today the Security Council has issued significant resolutions concerning Somalia. The long arms embargo has been lifted partially. It is a victory for the Somali government, and they should be given credit for procuring their request in a way western countries can understand i.e. fight against alshaaab to strengthen Somalia's security forces. Charcoal export has been a source of alshabaab financing...and Kismayo port was the port that sustained them. Jubbaland is a grass root initiative that cannot be stopped regardless of what anyone else wishes against it. It has a security ramification that goes beyond Somalia...get that waryaa.

That i s lesson 1 today yaa Macno Yare.

Waar ma anagaa waalan mise Cadan baa laga heesayaa?? ;)

I don't think you ever review what your positions where yesterday before uttering today's statements. It makes it difficult to take your arguments seriously.

Weren't you proclaiming all kinds of 'doomsday' scenarios just a few days ago if the Arms Embargo was lifted for the FG(it's a one-clan militia, blah, blah, etc.)? Yet one would almost think you're cheerleading the resolution currently from your above post. Typical behaviour - oppose something vehemently and if you lose, attempt to convince others you were with the winning side all along. One SOL poster coined it as 'attempting to snatch victory on the back of others' muscles'. Anyway, that's another topic and I digress...

Moving to the main topic, if you think the charcoal trade has ended in Kismayo, you're more clueless than you've appeared thus far. Regardless of the morality etc., of the trade, it will continue b/c it brings significant sums of profit for the businessmen, the local people, and whatever administration rules Kismayo at the time.

With the Ras Kambone group, it has thus far provided a much needed source of financing. With the legal wording of the resolution (in reference to the charcoal trade) and who in Somalia is ultimately judge and jury, the advantage has been given to Hassan Sheikh (not even his PM or Parliament, but specifically the President, and the President only). This gives Hassan Sheikh considerable leverage with Ahmed Madoobe and company.

(Let me make it simple for you, since comprehension seems to be an issue here: it would be the equivalent for Somaliland/or Puntland of Hassan Sheikh getting the same legal power over the livestock trade for all of the former Somalia. Capisce?)

As for other Somali actors, well, they're not dependent on charcoal exports for financing so the issue is pretty irrelevant.

If you're confused as usual, consult with Baashi above. He seems more in tune with the financial role charcoal has played thus far in Ras Kamboni's purse ----(even with the financing of the current 'shir' in Kismayo).

Carafaat   

Mintid Farayar;924645 wrote:
Slipped into the UN Arms Embargo resolution of today are these two passages:

Expressing concern at reports of continuous violations of the Somali and United Nations ban on charcoal exports, welcoming the President of Somalia’s task-force on this issue, and recognizing the need to assess urgently, and provide recommendations on, resolving the charcoal issue,

and then later in the resolution, you have this:

UN resolutions dictated by the President of Somalia. A clear sign his goverments power and political influence is increasing.