Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

The problem why Somalia is not moving forward

Somalia a country tarnished by a 21 years civil war, and even though the vast majority of battles of the Somali civil war , are now behind us. And Somalia is slowly emerging is becoming a peaceful nation particularly the southern parts of the country. But there is a problem, we are not addressing , how do we deal with the past.Since Somalia civil war officially ended with the new elected goverment headed by Mr Hasan Mahamud. Subsequently creating a healthy environment where Somalis can coexist and a national parliament was established. But Somalis are still struggling with the civil war , the most significant problem is , in Somalia no one won the war. Most countries have a clear winner but in Somalia every one is a loser or every is a winner, in that sense there is no clear winner. In the uganda bush war from 1981 till 1986 had a clear winner Yoweri museveni and the national Resistance movement was the winner. The same with the Rwandan civil war it had a clear winner the patriotic movement of Rwanda won the civil war. In Ethiopia closer to home, the Ethiopians had a clear winner the TPLF along with the EPLF defeated the derg. look at Somalia the USC came in drove out general siyad Bare the last dictator from Mogadishu, but nothing tangible came out of the civil war, the SNM in the north captured much of Somaliland and unilaterally declared independence, and moved on from there. Puntland region declared the Puntland region autonomous years later. What we see currently in Somalia , is Political distrust between the leaders and also this has a severe effect on the population in Somalia. Instead of reconciliation , the clan factor is being deeply encouraged by the various Somali stakeholders and including the diaspora. So till the day of today we are sill looking for a magical winner of the Somali civil war, it will most likely be a Political victory for one group. For example if clan federalism is fully adopted some groups will feel they won the war , if Somaliland is recognized another certain group will feel they won the war , if the last group is believed and followed and a centralized system is implemented than the last group won the civil war.

Wadani   

Hadayba sidaa tahay dib ha la isu guumaado, kii roonina reerka ha u soo hadho. Mise xal kale ayaa jira, ileen waadigan leh kala adkaanteena ayaa ina reebtaye?

Wadani just follow the latest political quarrels between Somali politicians , it will not be a war , but it will turn out to be a political victory for one group sooner or later.

If it would make you happier we have winner , USC , do to the fact usc captured the capital 20 years ago . First legitimate Government post civil war hails from usc clans. USC clans dominated Somali politics and economy past 22 years.

Jacpher   

Xaajiyoow you could be right with all that but you conviniently leave out one thing that unites most Somalis regardless of the war, Somalia is to stay together and never break up into pieces.

malistar2012;924094 wrote:
If it would make you happier we have winner , USC , do to the fact usc captured the capital 20 years ago . First legitimate Government post civil war hails from usc clans. USC clans dominated Somali politics and economy past 22 years.

USC never ruled from raskambooni to raascaseer, if there was a clear winner ,Somalia would not be in this mess, we dont have a winner.

Wadani   

malistar2012;924094 wrote:

Only if u consider Somaliland and Puntland politics to be outside the purview of Somali politics. If not, then Xaaji is right, there are no clear winners.

Jacpher;924095 wrote:
Xaajiyoow you could be right with all that but you conviniently leave out one thing that unites most Somalis regardless of the war, Somalia is to stay together and never break up into pieces.

I doubt it ,1/3 of the Somalis believe that they already broke away, the rest is busy creating clan states between a centralized system and a clan federalism. i dont think all Somalis believe in this unity , further more a Somali in Mogadishu feels more closer to general Bahuku than a fellow Somali from Kismayo. The other Somali from Kismayo believes that general kwuanku is closer to him than a fellow Somali in Mogadishu. And we still dont have a winner.

Wadani   

Xaaji, Ur right. We r a sick people. I used to be somaliwayn until recently. This jubbaland debacle just proves to me that Somalis aren't capable of unity nor understand the concept of nationhood. How can these people ask Somaliland to join them with a straight face???

Wadani i have observed Somalis allot in their political capabilities their leaders and their political culture , the only way Somalis to stay together under one country is if they are forced. Like general siad bare did ,nin walba meel ba u cad cid badinaysa na wali ma hayno lol

Xaaji Xunjuf;924102 wrote:
Wadani i have observed Somalis allot in their political capabilities their leaders and their political culture , the only way Somalis to stay together under one country is if they are forced. Like general siad bare did ,nin walba meel ba u cad cid badinaysa na wali ma hayno lol

Xaaji, do you think Somalia would do well under a massively de-centralized, small-government administration---similar to the one seen in the United States in the 1800's?

Essentially, we would have a tiny Government, made up of only a few Ministers who administer a basic military and law enforcement. And that's it. The government would not build any schools, no hospitals, no road construction. Nothing at all. This is exactly how the United States functioned for the first 150 years of nationhood.

Every district of Somalia would function independently, and the State would only provide safety, nothing more.

Somalis can't function under a dictatorship. It seems that we can't function well under a democracy. Maybe we need to create a system that fits us as a people. Maybe we should have (almost) no real government at all.

What do you think of that?

I think that is very good idea if its conducted in the correct way, i think that idea should be considered, because if that is done for like 20 or 30 years, Somalis than would evolve their statehood and upgrade it and they would have a real functioning state, and allow more of the goverment in their daily society. i think its a very good experiment and i think it would work if you ask me., because its part of the Somali political culture that we never liked to be governed Somalis do not like to be told what to do by a superior power.

Xaaji Xunjuf;924110 wrote:
I think that is very good idea if its conducted in the correct way, i think that idea should be considered, because if that is done for like 20 or 30 years, Somalis than would evolve their statehood and upgrade it and they would have a real functioning state, and allow more of the goverment in their daily society. i think its a very good experiment and i think it would work if you ask me., because its part of the Somali political culture that we never liked to be governed Somalis do not like to be told what to do by a superior power.

We need some Libertarian politicians in Somalia. We don't need a Government that builds hospitals and schools. Somalis are perfectly capable of doing that on our own.

You would be surprised at the entrepreneurial capability of Somalis. We're a very creative people, and we can make anything happen, without the Government.

Perhaps in this system, we can further develop Xeer law, and every district would consist of tribal elders who would administer justice.

Somalis are much much different than Swedes or Canadians or Norwegians or Brits.

We need our own system, that fits us as a people.