Sign in to follow this  
Abu-Salman

Greatest Thinkers writers: inspirational

Imam Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyah

Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr (more commonly known as Ibn Qayyim or Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah) (1292-1350CE / 691 AH- 751 AH) was a famous Sunni Islamic jurist, commentator on the Qur'an, astronomer, chemist, philosopher, psychologist, scientist and theologian. Although he is commonly referred to as "the scholar of the heart," given his extensive works pertaining to human behavior and ethics, Ibn Qayyim's scholarship was focused on the sciences of Hadith and Fiqh.

Click Here for Free E-books

Some are a must in any library: "The prophetic medicine", "Al fawaaid" or "Waswasah" (doubts or perfectionism).

However, "Ad daa wa dawaa" was one of the most interesting read ever and is found widely, the arabic is easy to read (or ask a local wadaad/ get the translated version; even if you are non-muslim, much of it is still relevant).

I must confess that I admire the intellect, analytical minds and wisdoms of those good or well traveled men that litterally went through much upheavels and losses while keeping their sanity or optimism (Al Ghazzali who confronted faith crisis despite being quite learned , Ibn Khaldūn often viewed as one of the fathers of modern historiography, sociology and economics etc).

It is sad that more recent "celebrities" such as Rousseau are well-known when their own inspirations are glossed over (after all the whole "renaissance" sprung up from Andalusia or Islamic Spain/Portugal with both key thinkers and theologians acknowledging that influence).

My pleasure Apophis; Ibn battuta was well-known for his account of Muqdisho in the 13th century (and nearby Somali city-states such as Zeyla existed at least in the 10th Century as explicitely islamic, though all those ports were often much more ancient).

Ibn Khaldun is quite similar but his social theories, eg urban decadence conquered by nomads vitality etc are interesting; after all, once material ease is secured, decay is inherently secured (as illustrated by current issues: drugs abuse which is ironically a big issue for doctors, depression, "status anxiety" and its stress as key driver of pathologies etc).

NGONGE   

Apophis;908474 wrote:
Good to see you Abu-Salman and interesting post.

My favourite Muslim who would fit your category would be Ibn-Battuta. I just find the man very fascinating
but it's a shame he isn't well recognised in the Islamic world

Err..he's so well known that he's one of the few that broke into casual simlie (as strong as Samson, as patient as Ayoub and as well travelled as Ibn Battuta). ;)

Haatu   

Abu-Salman;908469 wrote:
Imam Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyah

Muhammad ibn Abu Bakr (more commonly known as Ibn Qayyim or Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah) (1292-1350CE / 691 AH- 751 AH) was a famous Sunni Islamic jurist, commentator on the Qur'an, astronomer, chemist, philosopher, psychologist, scientist and theologian. Although he is commonly referred to as "the scholar of the heart," given his extensive works pertaining to human behavior and ethics, Ibn Qayyim's scholarship was focused on the sciences of Hadith and Fiqh.

Some are a must in any library: "The prophetic medicine", "Al fawaaid" or "Waswasah" (doubts or perfectionism).

However, "Ad daa wa dawaa" was one of the most interesting read ever and is found widely, the arabic is easy to read (or ask a local wadaad/ get the translated version; even if you are non-muslim, much of it is still relevant).

I agree. Ibnul Qayyum's books on matters relating to the heart, emotions and morality are unparalleled. He truly is the Scholar of the Heart. His teacher was the great scholar Ibn Taymiyyah I believe.

Coofle   

I have read a book called "الداء والدواء" By ibn Qayyim al Jawziyah in 2005, He is a great Islamic asset...I agree with you on this one..

But I will choose "Sayyed Qutb"

222222.PNG

Quotes from Syyed Qutb

"إن الجنس واللون والقوم والأرض لا تمثل الخصائص العليا للإنسان.. فالإنسان يبقى إنسانا بعد الجنس واللون والقوم والأرض ، لكنه لا يبقى إنسانا بعد الروح والفكر!."

and one for those who don't read arabic

“ Indeed our words will remain lifeless, barren, devoid of any passion, until we die as a result of these words, whereupon our words will suddenly spring to life and live amongst the hearts that are dead, bringing them to life as well.”

Coofle   

Haatu;908615 wrote:
Sayyed Qutb? Didn't the Al Qaeda ideology stem from his works?

You mean "Islamic brotherhood" not al-Qaeda........

Haatu   

Coofle;908621 wrote:
You mean
"Islamic brotherhood"
not al-Qaeda........

The Islamic Brotherhood in their early days were very radical (as in anarchists).