Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

You're going to Somalia for the first time as an adult...

Haatu   

chubacka;906855 wrote:
What would I like to see in Somalia, libraries, cafes, playgrounds, public transport, big open squares to spend evenings chatting. I'd love to feel anonymous and just walk around for hours.

Visit Garissa in 10 years time IA. We're working on all you've just listed. :)

Blessed   

Reeyo;906864 wrote:
Lol @ Paronama. Guilty, I was fool enough to enter that deviant and nasty place one foolish summer. (Guilty and ashamed to admit it!)

looool. do't beat yourself up about it, honey. It's a rite of passage for most dhalinyaro lol

Chimera;907358 wrote:
I want to travel across the entire country and see the rich heritage of Somalia:

caravan-large.jpg

South

Destinations:
Merka and Barawa

beach.jpg

- Many old mosques, palaces and shrines

- The old sections of the cities have houses four or five storeys high

- Stone Towers

Destination:
Warsheikh

- Historic mosques and shrines

- Pillar tombs

- City walls

- Ruined houses

Destination:
Gondershe

- Old citadel

- many historic mosques and shrines

Destination:
Luuq

- Old city

- ruins of historic mosques and tombs

Destination:
Bardera

- Old citadel

Destination:
Mogadishu

- 13th century Arba Rucun mosque

- Fakr Ad din Mosque

- Jamia University

- Almnara Tower

- City walls

- Shingani

- Hamar jajab

- old lighthouses

- etc

Northeast

Destination:
Taleex

30t1isk.jpg

-Fortresses of Taleex

-Shrines of Sayyid's mother and father

Destination:
Bosaso

-Old palaces of the Alula dynasty

-Several Forts

-Historic mosques and shrines

-Old port

Destination:
Las Khorey

- Palaces of the Gerads

- Several fortresses

- Old port

Destination:
Qandala

- Old stone city

- several palaces and forts

Destination:
Hafun

- ruins of Ancient Opone

- ancient harbour

- 18th century forts

Destination:
Hobyo

- Many 19th century ruins such as forts and palaces

- Ajjuuraan Palace with seven arches.

There are also several other important sites and places such as Bargaal, Botiala and Bandar Beyla with lots of historic heritage.

Northwest
:

Destination:
Berbera

345iexl.jpg

-Old stone city of Biya Guure - a few miles east of Berbera(again ask a local Berberawi to show you the way)

-Ancient Dubar fortress

Destination:
Hargeisa

-There should be an old giant Fortress in the city(i think its best if you asked a local Hargeisawi knowlegdeable of the area where the precise location of that large fortress is and he/she might show you even more historical sites which are still unexplored)

-Laas Geel rock painting Cave complex

Destination:
Amud and Abasa

-Two large stone cities(you can see some ancient ruins of Amud if you type ''Amud,Somalia'' in google images)

(^ both of those cities are situated in the Borama area which is close to Hargeisa)

Destination:
Saylac

- Sa'ad ad Din Island and the medieval ruins and shrines

- Old City walls

- Ruins of the old quarter of the city

- Qiblatain Mosque and others

(Saylac is in the Awdal province and close by Borama)

Destination:
Bulhar

-Ancient Port city with lots of historical relics

(close to Saylac)

Destination:
Heis

-Ancient city with lots of relics

(close to Berbera)

Destination:
Mait

-Ancient city with many ruins

(next to Heis)

Destination:
Erigavo

- Ancient Stone city of Maduna in Eel Afweyn which is close to Erigavo(type in Maduna, Somalia in google images and you will see some interesting remains of that city)

- Dervish Fortresses in Erigavo

ETC....

i have to give it to you adams!

you've really surpassed your usual utopian views this time. CLAP CLAP CLAP

even the voyeur Lonely Planet guide is better than this pathetic mistake-ridden tour guide, if even that, you've written? you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

in one of those classic Frank Gardner moments, the BBC's correspondent, of overpronouncing local places in their local dialects, you CLEARLY demonstrated with the above, that you've no idea of what you're talking about. sxb, respect yourself and the good reputation you've built up through the years.

Coofle   

Reeyo, Exactly this is what I noticed and mentioned in a previous post on SOL

In my latest visit to Hargeisa I decided to make the challenge of crossing the bridge and see where I can go furthest Before I hear Mohamed Mooge.....I walked all the way to Star Hotel I started Bacdal Maqrib ( the Peak of Mirqaan) I was disappointed That I heard no Mohamed Mooge Liibaan...Hargeisa Is losing touch with classical music...For God Sakes they have a whole district named after him....

http://www.somaliaonline.com/community/showthread.php/68431-Mohamed-Mooge-Liibaan-quot-Revered-singer-quot

A while ago, I was with a guy who was born and Grew up in Somalia, He was 19 years old , a teenage, to pass time I asked him about his favorite songs, but after asking him I was extremely shocked that he never heard of Cumar dhuule, Ilma mooge or muuse Ismaaciil Qalinle....to his defense he knew about Abuu-cabdilmalik and Abuu cali, a Saudi Nashid singers.......It would have been understandable if he was from Southern Somalia, But he also Grew up in northern Somalia...Unacceptable.

Reeyo   

Coofle: I agree, that is unacceptable. You're right Somali kids living in Hargeisa right now write better in English and Arabic then they do in Somali.

There are no Somali literacy or classic studies in any of the Universities- Primary kids can sing and recites Arabic tunes but not many of them learn gaabays?

We have no libraries and weddings don't play classical music or dances. What sort of country will it be in couple of years?

raula   

SomaliPhilosopher;906858 wrote:
Speaking of Kabans/Ouds, I recently purchased one. Know any Somalis in the Minnesota area that will teach an aspiring Omar Dhule?

you can teach me once you learn SP. but i will keep my day job.

I did see & spent time in Baadiye. Now on the contrary..I'd love to see some ocean.

Coofle   

Reeyo;914206 wrote:
Coofle: I agree, that is unacceptable. You're right Somali kids living in Hargeisa right now write better in English and Arabic then they do in Somali.

There are no Somali literacy or classic studies in any of the Universities- Primary kids can sing and recites Arabic tunes but not many of them learn gaabays?

We have no libraries and weddings don't play classical music or dances. What sort of country will it be in couple of years?

Cultural Suicide is on process by Somalis...flocks of graduates from Sudan and Saudi Arabia all with Anti-cultural sentiments are axing the Soomaalinimo....This is Hargeisa We are talking about, The cradle of Literature...At least Jigjiga is a place to encourage Fanka iyo suugaanta now.

Weddings play Ethiopian songs those days.

Reeyo;906800 wrote:

Apophis: Yeh the dress sense is bad, but anything else beside perving on women? lol

I don't mind skinny-dipping in Mogadishu or Kismayo's pristine beaches...but unlike the Qurbajoog's Tarzan was complaining about, I would like to do that at night...

Reeyo;906830 wrote:
You are a sour one. I was not talking about clubs, just music and plays my friend. The way my parents described it. That was all, just a little wishing for some of the things my parents experienced.

Don't get all heavy on me and start listing all the killings and what-not.

There is always Havana, Cuba and Casablanca, Morocco....

Reeyo;906837 wrote:
War dee waa runtay, you've ruined my very sentimental thread about rosey gone-by days of a different Somalia, sheesh.

If you read carefully Jacpher it says 'Imagine going back for the first time' and 'what would you like to see'. Maxa kalee argtay?

Somali culture doesn't need a reform, we've barely got any dhaaqan left.

This Somalia? http://vintagesomalia.tumblr.com/page/7

Jacpher;906845 wrote:
^Don't be in denial. Somali culture is kicking and alive. It just needs to rid itself of anything that's unislamic
:D

What is Somali culture, can someone explain to me? In detail?

SomaliPhilosopher;906858 wrote:
Speaking of Kabans/Ouds, I recently purchased one. Know any Somalis in the Minnesota area that will teach an aspiring Omar Dhule?

If you can get someone to teach you how to play a guitar - and there are plenty of classes - than you can play the kaban as well...

Reeyo;906863 wrote:
^Pray tell me where did you find an Somali Ud?

Good luck finding a teacher, that is an art that needs to be preserved.

Oud came from the Arabs; haven't you seen the Cairo orchestra or Lebanese music? Same with Mali and Sudanese and every other culture who came in touch with the Arabs...