Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Alpha's Garden: A Development in Progress

KEY NOTES FOR JAN 2013

this month i've invested quite a lot of time into the garden (beer in af-somaliga :D).

BLOCK 1 and 12 have been planted with a new plant.

i've moved a plant from BLOCK 3 and have planted in BLOCK 6. also BLOCK 6 has received a new additional similar looking plant between the bros.

as you can see BLOCK 8 has been planted with 4 new plants. this plant is called 'the sweat of the prophet (s.a.w). i've also planted a smaller plant on the very end of BLOCK 8.5

BLOCK 9 - i removed a small plant from BLOCK 14 and moved it to BLOCK 9. its flourishing now mashallah.

BLOCK 10 - i've cut the long pointy parts of aloe vera plant.

BLOCK 14 - recieved a new plants. i've planted one big plant on the right end of BLOCK 14 and 3 smaller plants which seem almost invisible on the camera.

BLOCK 15 - this has also received 3 new additional plants. BLOCK 15 has been somewhat difficult. it seemed for the first 15 days of JAN 2013, nothing was growing up but thankfully its now growing rapidly. mr. khaki (tutaha plant) is beautiful. i've also planted unknown plant in BLOCK 15, its not growing at the moment and i'm slightly worried.

Haatu;914666 wrote:
Alpha, it would be nice if you could tell us what each plant is.

Also, have you considered growing any fruit trees such as mangos or papaya?

haatu,

thank you for visiting the thread and for your interesting questions.

i don't know the botanically names for these plants are. i'll will aim to learn them and let you know inshallah.

my beer is fairly small. mangos and papaya fruit trees need plenty of space. for the time being, i'm just concentrating on smaller plants and those with flowers. at first, i planted some basic plants but i've now become addicted to it. i spend about an hour a day on watering the beer and its general welfare. its a fantastic way to relax and its really helping me keep active and provides a purpose to my purposeless life :D.

Apophis;914680 wrote:
I'm sure you have seen this types of frames in gardens while you were in the UK, get them for your climbing plants (I'm sure you can have them made by your local carpenter). Just stick the frame on the wall and Bob's your uncle
:D

Apo,

bro, what is this frame you speak off? can you explain please?

i took your advise from last month and used some pieces of wood/sticks next to climbers plant. they've grown as a result. thanks.

Apophis;914689 wrote:
Sorry bro,forgot to attach pic.

DIYtrellis1.jpg

Or like this ones

yes! i'm familiar with these. i had some in my house in the UK. my mum bought a few from homebase for her garden. i will look into getting this commissioned for around april 2013 time inshallah. they really would improve the aesthetics of my beer.

question: where should the frames be put up? how does one put these frames up on the wall? with nails? i wouldn't want anything that could cause potential damage to the outside wall of the house.

Haatu;914693 wrote:
Why would you plant a Garanwaa? That plant is poison to other plants.

haatu,

this garanwaa plant is literally everywhere along with the cactus. i had some garanwaa trees recently cut down in front of my house. apparently, these garanwaa trees, are not indigenous to the Somali peninsula and they have been said to be planted by Italian NGOs in the early 1990s. they require no water at all and seem to spout up, multiply very quickly. in some of the more arid areas, like the somaliland-djibouti road, they are everywhere. do they have any natural benefits? maybe its an attempt to stop desertification of the lands? i don't know.

chubacka   

^I thought people used these things just to make their gardens look pretty. Alpha, some of the blocks look great, good for you.

Haatu   

Alpha, it's a shame your not growing some big fruit trees. I used to love to eat mangoes from my ayeeyo's mango tree. As a fellow gardening enthusiast I salute you sir. Good work.

nuune   

That looks to me more of Khat harvesting season, are you sure it is not khat, but I do admire your creativity ont he gardening, you have a good taste on women.

nuune   

^^ lool you might not be familiar with Khat types, but khat when growing is just like that, anagaa ku takhasusney dee

Alpha, why not start a gardening business in Somaliland, the promising thing about this is the low cost investment, and the margins are explosive.

Possible business ideas on gardening:

- Sell gardening tools and products to the public, businesses

- Run training sessions for gardening design

- Courtyard design

- Hydroponic landscaping, you could actually charge clients on a monthly service fee for maintaining etc

- Sellign garden plants

- Tourism garden, where tourists tour your garden and enjoy the scenary and beautiful design, you can charge them by the minute or hourly, or daily pass, or family pack ticket, I am recommedning you to look into this and call it Beerta Nasashada not Beerta Naasaha, ha isku khaldin the two