Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Inside the Saudi Kingdom

N.O.R.F   

A country in transition. I think the Prince explains quite well the challenges Saudi society faces and how they're dealing with it.

Marksman   

Somalia today is also a very conservative and patriarchal society. Let's not pretend our society hasn't changed. Just an example, a woman walking around without a hijab in Mogadishu is not accepted. Even 4 year old girls are wearing it. Or am I wrong?

Marksman   

Nothing odd about it. I'm trying to showcase the conservativeness that Somalis have in common with Saudis as it's everyone that is wearing it. I wonder what you think of my statement then. That it is not accepted for women not to walk without a hijab in Mogadishu. (let alone any other Somali city).

Carafaat   

Xaaji Xunjuf;897916 wrote:
Sacuudi carabiya waligood nin iyo naag uun bay kala ilaalin.

:D Xaaji, meeshu wee kulushahay. adigu maad isku si deyn leheed.

Xaaji Xunjuf;897916 wrote:
Sacuudi carabiya waligood nin iyo naag uun bay kala ilaalin.

I legit giggled on that :D

So upholding social norms/constructs are more important than rights for women and what the Quran actually teaches?! Interesting video, the prince is rather passive aggressive with his responses.

Haatu   

Marksman;897981 wrote:
Nothing odd about it. I'm trying to showcase the conservativeness that Somalis have in common with Saudis as it's everyone that is wearing it. I wonder what you think of my statement then. That it is not accepted for women not to walk without a hijab in Mogadishu. (let alone any other Somali city).

After the war Somalis became more conservative because they experience first hand the realities of life and realized how short our stay in this world is. As for your question, forget other women I would never let my mum or sisters leave the house without a hijab (not niqab but headscarf) on and bring shame to my name. I'm a Muslim and I find no fault in my religion nor its practices. I also feel no compulsion to appease non-Muslims nor do I feel inclined to adopt their ways or customs.

As for the video, most of the problems Saudi Arabia has is more cultural rather than religious. One classic example is the female driving ban. Nothing in Islam prevents a women from driving, in fact hordes of scholars have said that it causes more harm than benefit.

Haatu   

Because in the Day of Judgement, Muslims believe that yes, the females will also be responsible for their own actions, but their male guardians or walees will also be held accountable.

In this issue, we're oil and water sxb. I can tell you we won't see eye to eye.

Haatu   

When I say that of course I won't physically restrain them, that's abuse. But I will not sit around and watch also. But this will never happen, we're a God fearing folk :D It's also a thing of honour. Imagine the comments I'll get from Cali and Xasan and claims that my sisters are 'loose'. God forbid.

NGONGE   

^^ Schoolboy error there, Apo. You should have walked away as soon as you saw Xasan and Cali walking over. I can see a big, offensive and open goal for anybody with the inclination to wound you there. :D

nuune   
Apophlclytic, Gaalyahow ka dhax bax ummada oo hooyooyinka aflagaadada ka daa, kurkaan kaa goyn gaastariigyahow u gaajeysan siduu Muslimiinta iyo islamka u caayi lahaa, orodoo caabud NOTHING iyo baabah.