Sign in to follow this  
Skeptic

Did you know?!

Skeptic   

***Did you know that, linguistically, ALLAHU AKBAR does NOT mean "ALLAH IS GREAT or ALLAH IS THE GREATEST?" ... The word AKBAR in Arabic is in COMPARATIVE form and NOT superlative. Comparative = GREATER. Superlative = GREATEST. One of the reasons is that when in Salah (or simply amazed by something) you say ALLAHU AKBAR, meaning, ALLAH IS GREATER than whatever that amazed you or distracted you from his remembrance ... ***

actually, i didnt know that skeptic. thanks for sharing this amazing fact.

should we turn this into a did you know thread.

did you know that term AFRICA is Portuguese in origin.

Aaliyyah   

That makes sense. Thanks for shedding some light on it. There was one hadith where the Prophet csw told his companions that they can ask Allah swt anything that their heart desires and they were like "that is too much" and the prophet replied "Allahu akthar" (which means "Allah is more" more than anything that they can ask for and it is in the same comparative form as Allahu Akbar)..

Wadani   

Alpha Blondy;883217 wrote:
actually, i didnt know that skeptic. thanks for sharing this amazing fact.

should we turn this into a did you know thread.

did you know that term AFRICA is Portuguese in origin.

It's a shame that present day Africans have almost nothing to call their own, not even the name of their own continent. Sad.

Wadani   

It's not known to the world as such is it? Africans don't control the names their continent and countries are given anymore than they control their socio-economic and political destinies. The white man creates a self-serving reality, and all others to varying degrees are subject to living within its confines.

Skeptic;883213 wrote:
***Did you know that, linguistically, ALLAHU AKBAR does NOT mean "ALLAH IS GREAT or ALLAH IS THE GREATEST?" ... The word AKBAR in Arabic is in COMPARATIVE form and NOT superlative. Comparative = GREATER. Superlative = GREATEST. One of the reasons is that when in Salah (or simply amazed by something) you say ALLAHU AKBAR, meaning, ALLAH IS GREATER than whatever that amazed you or distracted you from his remembrance ... ***

unfounded stuff.

Allah is mubtada and akbar is khabr. This will be a nominal sentence and it will translate as allah is the greatest.

In other words, akbar is a noun which is known as ism tafdeel

shark-marky, don't take life too serious NO one gets out alive anyway :D. anyways, why are correcting people? are you a teacher of some sort? you have a mean teacher's attitude?

Wadani   

A religious term? The word akbar is an Arabic term my friend and it doesn't neccessarily have a religious connotation. For example I can say Haathal-bait akbaru min baitik. This house is greater (in this context 'bigger') than your house. If ur implying that akbar is a superlative, than use it in the sentence I just gave u and lets see what u get.

Hadaan kuu af soomaaliyayo Allahu akbar waxay noqonaysaa Ilaahay baa ka wayn ee ma noqonayso Ilaahay baa ugu wayn.

Skeptic   

Blue ...

Sister Aaliyah's remarks are not corrections .. its reaffirmation quoting a Hadith ...

Sharma-arke ...

Using "mubtada" and "khabar" (verb/predicate and subject") ... "ALLAHU AKBAR" is not a complete sentence. In other words, ALLAHU AKBAR is not "KALAAM" ..

Example: if I were to say " أحمد أكبر " meaning "Ahmed is bigger" ... that sentence is obviously not a complete sentence (KALAAM). If you tell someone, "Ahmed is bigger" they will obviously ask you "bigger then what?" ...

Thus, this type of sentence is called comparative ... the superlative form would be "Ahmed is biggest"