Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Reconstruction of Lebanon

N.O.R.F   

As well as Waleed Bin Talal and every other khaleeji who has invested in Lubnaan. Add all the aid money it receives from GCC governments. What Somalia needs is a serious and coordinated effort to raise funds through a government department. None of this every gobol iyo maamul doing its own thing in approaching funders. The government needs to develop a national development plan first. Prioritising Xamar and surrounding as well as improving road linkes between major cities, port development, school and hospital development. They should then put a price on that plan and get on a flight to Riyaadh, Abu Dhabi and Doha (in addition to UN funds). Any IMF/World Bank loans should be limited at least until the governmental infrastructure to deal with it is in place. Loans should be proportional to grants (GCC funds should be grants).

Anyway....

NGONGE   

^^ Read up on it, saaxib. It was Al Hariri who brought the Saudis on borad not to mention pour loads of his money into the country before and after the peace agreement (one that he played a big part in bringing about). What Somali has built up such links in the past twenty years? Salaad? Sharif?

(all still possible of course).

N.O.R.F   

I know Hariri was a major influence on the Saudis. Somalis need to get serious basically. You can do it on our behalf. Carabta sida la la daqmo adaa og'e :)

adams, saxiib, i know you mean well laakin lebonon is NOT somalia. all people and places have their own trajectories and MUST follow their own unique paths towards recovery. its a little pointless posting threads about Bosnia, Chechnya, Kazakhstan or Angola and trying to somehow convince the people of SOL we could learn something from these countries. all is needed is peace and stability and the rest will come along too. please don't misconstrue this as an attack.

NGONGE   

^^ I'm not a Billionaire who was prepared to put his money where his mouth was. Hariri got the help through is business links with the Saudis and his charity work during the civil war. Still, all is not lost. His economic policies alone are worth a punt here.

lol@uncle NG,

of course you're not a billionaire and i suppose the only difference between you and rafi is that he's dead and you've somehow managed to reach 40 albeit not to his wealth and political influence. call a spade what it is sxb. what would you do with the $40,000 from your poxy job that you've put away for a rainy day? what only $40,000? naga daa dee, really? is that how much you have managed to save from all those morning journeys on the hammersmith and city line every morning since 2003.

NGONGE   

^^ It's not the hammersmith and city and it's not 2003. As for the rest, stop sounding like those vulgar islaamo warya. :D

Saalax   

Alpha Blondy;875802 wrote:
lol@uncle NG,

of course you're not a billionaire and i suppose the only difference between you and rafi is that he's dead and you've somehow managed to reach 40 albeit not to his wealth and political influcence. call a spade what it is sxb. what would you do with the $40,000 from your poxy job that you've put away for a rainy day? what only $40,000? naga daa dee, really? is that how much you have managed to save from all those journey on the hammersmith and city line everyone morning since 2003.

kkkkkkk.

Image30.jpg

No body is restoring or rebuilding building like this. There ought to be a future bylaw mandating how buildings like this should be restored, instead of of being tore down and rebuilt an ugly one in its place. Buildings like this used to give Xamar a character of its own.

There's 1 of 2 options here

1. Somalia be a nation filled with nothing but little tuulos, but with a patriotic and united population.

2. Somalia be a nation of cities, but with the population divided and mistrustful of one another.

By Allah, I would rather the 1st option. Unity is the hard part. Everything else comes easy

Before we start constructing pretty buildings, maybe we should focus on ACTUAL Nation-Building. The rot in Somalia is so deep that it will take years--if not decades-- to clean out. Please don't misconstrue this as an attack friend.

Chimera   

MMA, remember the historic Central Bank, it was completely destroyed, but then it was restored to its former beauty in a single year, albeit in a turqiouse colour rather than white. Many of the beautiful old buildings were located in conflict areas, and were only freed a year ago. Now we have to wait for the owners to returned, or for the government to generate the necessary funds to initiate a total reconstruction.

DoctorKenney, one can walk and talk at the same time, you don't have to stop everytime you want to say something, nor do you have to be silent everytime you walk, the positives in your two options aren't mutually exclusive. Let the politicians focus on nation-building, I and many others will rather focus on making Somali cities the envy of the region fit for sobriquetes like the 'Jewel', and the 'Pearl' once again. There is more to nation-building than political conferences, it has to be accompanied by a 'strong culture', one that captures all of the age-groups of the state, from the old to the young, and this comes in the form of cinema, tv, radio, sports, etc, all of which are derelict today.

You can't say put a hold on all of this just because two politicians have mistrust for one another, the larger populace is more important, and they respond better to clean and orderly cities, and a lively culture.

35dbur9.jpg

The old section of Xamarweyne now. I guess some of it old part of Xamarweyne survived. In Banaadiri culture, those homes have particular names. I can't remember the names now.

This is how it was back in the day, though obviously different alley:

34xglrq.jpg