Sign in to follow this  
Bambina

Think twice before buying from a Muslim store !!!

Bambina   

Salam Alaykum ,

Dear nomads ,you are probably wondering why Im advising you to be careful when buying food from Halal stores ,well let me share with you what happened to one of my cousin.

My cousin went once to a Muslim grocery store , bought some candies and as she was getting ready to pay for her purchase ,the cashier stopped her and told her not to buy those candies.She demanded some explanations and the guy told her that the candies contained lecithin which is an animal-derived ingredient(except when extracted from soy) .

Of course , she asked why was such a product available in a Muslim store and the guy replied that their store sold those candies to attract non-Muslims clients.She was stunned by his answer and to be honest , I was shocked for a while after she told me that.

I was furious and discuted by the way some Muslims handled their businesses ,I mean ,whats the point of adding the mention " Halal" to a store if selling haram goods?.

Quite frankly ,I've seen so many candies , cakes, chocolates ,cookies containing lecithin sold in Muslim stores and Im wondering if the owners knew about it or were innocent.I was mad because I knew thousands of Muslims bought sweets not knowing that some of them were haram.

Sometimes , I wonder, what if the cashier was a guy who didnt care? What if he didnt stop her? , my cousin would have probably bought those candies.

My advice to you nomads is to be careful no matter where you buy your food. Trust is important when you step in a Muslim store , but if having some doubts , always check the ingredients first. If you find out haram ingredients , keep Muslims informed ,even the owners of the store because sometimes they might not know it.

DraGon   

So true sister and thanks for the advice, I personally think one shouldn't take anything for granted especially if its matter of DIIN. I also had a a similar experience, I went to an indian restaurant owned by bangledishi muslims and was shocked to find out they were serving non-halal beef, but to there credit they atleast made me aware. Some other places wouldn't even care to warn you.

Sister the name HALAL is unfortunately commercialized this days, I know a non-muslim business displaying halah sign on there premises just to attract muslim customers. It is becoming a marketing tool and guess what!!! even the big business like IGA and SOBEYS FOODS are gettin into it.

Qac Qaac   

there is 8 million muslims in North america, and if all of they buy something from u, u r rich person...

but yeah sis Bombina lots of muslim stores sell haram stuff, so they attract non-muslims.. imaan darro awgeed, some of them even sell khamra, wine, and they muslims..

Cawralo   

Salama Caleykum.

To the poster:

I c ur point, but I think Qacbaro is on to something too. Offcourse you should think twice before you buy something from a muslim owned store, but you shouldn't stop buying stuff from muslim owned stores. It's not like the non-muslim stores sell only halal stuff, so either way, u have to check what's in the food you buy.

But by buying from muslims, u will be empowering ur extremly marganilised group (muslims) and giving it a louder voice. If muslims would do all of their grocery shopping in muslim owned stores, the owners wouldn't have to try to attracts non-muslims for survival.

Yahdikalah and Ramadan Kariim in advance redface.gif

Qac Qaac   

I agree with u cawrale... we should all buy from each other, lacagta anaga dhexdeena ha ku wareegto, and then we be powerful community.

Diamante   

Yeah thats a good point q.

I myself wonder how halal a muslim shop is these days, people have blind faith in this and they shouldnt actually. I always double check everything, and say bismilaah, that way anything that i don't know off won't be my problem. Let the shopkeeper burn for it.

salaam

NOt all halaal stores are operated by muslims, anyone can get a piece of paper and stick it on the window advertising halal products, and people would more likely than not blindly follow it.

I recently went to this halaal store and I wanted to buy a slice of pizza. Then I saw a a slice among the cheese and veggies that had meat that suspicously looked like pork...I asked him if it was pork. He said "Yes...but Ill take off the meat for you if you want it halaal"!!!

Arent store owners suppose to obtain a lisence to sell halaal products?

If they choose to sell stuff containing haram ingredients, then that is really between them and Allah. However, a muslim should not shop from a halal store blindly. You have to constantly read ingredients before you put stuff in your mouth. You have to be smart about these things. Is it just me who reads the back of products to check for content or do others do that as well?