Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Beautiful Somali words

Chimera   

The type that would fit a nice restaurant, resort or hotel. A lot of Somali entrepreneurs choose the most insane names for their restaurants, shops, hotels, etc that the average Farah or Xalimo on the streets of Mogadishu, Hargeisa or Bosaso wouldn't even know the answer to if you asked them. Why, when there are many beautiful Somali names available which are easy to the ears of both Somalis and foreigners?

For example:

Shimbir(o) - Bird(s), there is something angelic about that word, a sense of freedom, like a wandering beautiful spirit. Good name for a beauty salon, other fitting titles would be

-Qalanjo

-Quruxley

-Ayada

Balanbalis - Butterfly, it means youth, it means live in the moment, it represents a small space of time, it means you only live once. Good name for a school, an amusement park, or something related to teenagers, like a bowling/arcade corner.

Malab - Honey, its sweet and universally loved, not a bad name for a restaurant or a cafe/coffeeshop.

Jaceyl - Love, this would fit a luxury hotel or restaurant exclusive for couples and newlyweds.

Also, when I observe naming conventions of leisure spots in the West and Asia, they also have a habit of combining two unrelated words that become a memorable title, for example Starbucks Cafe, Pizza Hut, Six-Flags, etc. In Somalia I would like to see combination names like 'Jaranjaro Inn', 'Pizza Xaax' or 'Xidigo Cafe'. They are easy to understand for tourists, and for the locals it will be something authentically homegrown yet with a cosmopolitan flare.

Share more ideas.

Chimera   

Nacnac - a Somali version of Jannmin.

Jalaato Paradise - A seaside Icecream shop.

Macaano - Cake-shop, Somali and international cakes.

Lamaane - Nice couple's retreat, palm-trees, pools, the whole shebang!

Maanta Express - Cornershop selling magazines and newspapers, a small post-office incorporated.

Garnaqsi   

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who suffers with word fetishism here! :P

Chimera;860382 wrote:

Shimbir(o)
-
Bird(s)
, there is something angelic about that word, a sense of freedom, like a wandering beautiful spirit. Good name for a beauty salon, other fitting titles would be

Dharab: dew -- a word whose English and Somali versions are both beautiful. Recall how Hadrawi describes Suleykha's beauty: "Ma ubax dhashoo xalay, ka dharqaday xareedo, dharab kii ku yaal baa," or how Tagore says "let your life lightly dance on the edges of time like dew on the tip of a leaf" (you lose poetic flair in translations but sometimes they are unbelievably good). If you add dharab and shimbir, you get shimbir-dharab, which is a type bird - e.g. "Shimbir-dharabtu meel aar fadhiyo shuuqdi ka ma deeyne, sha'dii baan hayaanka u rariyo shaambis geedigaye,' which is what Cabdi Iidaan opens with the poetic chain Shiinleey.

Abwaan;860508 wrote:
My favourite name is "Baar ha i dhaafin":D

Baar Haidhaafin waxaa ka horeeye Xamar ka jiri jiray Baar Jilbajabso iyo Baar Lugabaxsi.

Daa'uud, Soomaalida were creative in '70s and '90s. Most stores, hotels, restaurants and the like had original Soomaali names. Dagaalada sokeeye not only killed our brothers and sisters, it also killed our creative ways, dimming Afsoomaaliga iyo horumarkuu gaaray. Now it is all about 'baraka, mubaarak, barakaad, towfiiq, bismilaahi, maashallaah, mustaqbal' and the likes, as though in ajir dheeraad ah laga helaayo.

There is a studio called Balanbaalis in Nayroobi, though. Nayroobi istuudiyahaan ayaa heysto.

Kismaayo waxaan rabaa inaan kafuro, makhaayad layiraahdo, "Warabe Restaurant", oo cunto aan marnaba caadi aheen aa ka heli kartid.

Ohio ayadana midbaan ka furi doonaa, insha'allah. "Dhurwaa restaurant". Coming soon.

Showqi   

Abwaan;860508 wrote:
My favourite name is "Baar ha i dhaafin":D

Dhameystir dee magaca! miyaad ka xishootay intii kale. Waxay ahayd: Baar ha i dhaafin, hadaad i dhaaftidna dhub allah ha ku siiyo;)

My favorites are:

-Hotel Hadhwanaag

-Indha'uroon Beauty Salon

-Bilicsan Mall

-Daadah children toys

Chimera   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;860529 wrote:
Baar Haidhaafin waxaa ka horeeye Xamar ka jiri jiray Baar Jilbajabso iyo Baar Lugabaxsi.

Daa'uud, Soomaalida were creative in '70s and '90s. Most stores, hotels, restaurants and the like had original Soomaali names. Dagaalada sokeeye not only killed our brothers and sisters, it also killed our creative ways, dimming Afsoomaaliga iyo horumarkuu gaaray. Now it is all about
'baraka, mubaarak, barakaad, towfiiq, bismilaahi, maashallaah, mustaqbal' and the likes, as though in ajir dheeraad ah laga helaayo

There is a studio called Balanbaalis in Nayroobi, though. Nayroobi istuudiyahaan ayaa heysto.

LMAO, how sad.

RedSea   

Hotel Hir-doogle.

Janaale Hotel and resort.

Hotel Ubax.

Ras macaan.

Ras casiir, nice little hang out lounge where youngsters hang out and sip smoothies and cold beverages.LOL

Blessed   

There's a Ha idhaafin maqaaxi somewhere in London, sadly it's a faarax indhodheer joint so intaan wadada jaro ayaan xuf ku dhaafi jiraay....