Sign in to follow this  
Macallinka

Similarity between Somali and ancient Egyptian Language

Comparison of Egyptian-Somali Vocabulary:

"The language of ancient Egypt belonged to the Hamitic group...Surviving Hamitic languages are spoken across a large part of North Africa and include Somali." (The english language ,A Historical Introduction," by the british historian and linguist Charles Barber .)

1) In ancient-egyptian language "Hes" = song,sing with musical instrument / in somali language :" Hees"= song,sing with musical instrument.

2) "AAR" means "Lion" in both languages .

3) "Usha" means "Scepter" in both languages .

4)In Somali-Egyptian" Shub" means a)"pour out , " b) construction made of concrete .

5) In Somali-Egyptian languages :"Sekedseked" means " Redoubling of the building blocks ,Stacked building blocks or something else .

6) In Egyptian-Somali :

Neter/Neder (divine being) Hipo/Hibo (it means "gift" and the sound "p"it is not mainly used in Hamitic languages ): Heru/Huur (a stork) : Tuf/Tuf (spit) : Habi (the Nile)/ Habi,ᵓAbi (source of water,to drink ,give him drink ) Wabi ( a river) ; Kab/kab (shoe) brq/biriq (lightning) :"Qbb/Qaboob (cold,cool,fresh ): 'ayah/dayah (moon) ; dab/dab (fire) anka/aniga (pronoun "I" ): su,asu/usi (he) ; Ka,Kaah /Ka,Kaah (Him,the man's appearance, spirit,vital essence,) ; Xi/Ki (a such ) ; Hati,Hat/Haat,Haati (widen wings,flying birds) ; medu/muud (liquid), Hoo/Hoo (to offer ) , Gundhate ,Gunti/Gundhate ,Gunti (loincloth) ,Maanta/Maanta (today,morning ); Kaua/Kaw (standard number one ,1,first ) ; NefNefi/NefNef,Neef (respiration,breath ), (Râ,Horakhty /Râh, Horrahthy (the Sun)

In Ancient-egyptian "Râ" is the sun-god / in Somali "Qor-Rah" means the "neck of Rah ,sun-god . ( Qor= neck / Rah: sun-god) the letter " a" is pronounced with the voiceless pharyngeal fricative

[ħ]

7) Egyptian Somali :Awoow /Awoow (grandfather,old man) ;

Ayeeytha/Ayeeyda (grandmother,old woman, old age )

8) In Ancient-egyptian "Hun, Hunnu" = young man ,young girl/ in Somali "Hun, Hunnu,Huunno" = young man , young girl .

9) Two Somali/Egyptian Similar Names of the Pharaonic Enthronement : Sare,Hore/Sare,Hore ( the High and the First )

10)In ancient-egyptian :Ausar =god Osiris ,ancestor of egyptians /.In Somali : Ausar,= Father Sar (AW-father ; Sar), Isir,Ausar = Ancestor , venerated in the Somali Culture in the antiquity according to a Somali Historian and linguist Diriye .

11) In Somali Language "The pyramids" means "Xabaal-Maguur" =" Stable Graves "

There are many similar words somali-egyptian ,preserved in Somali language. I just shared with you some examples above but you can find many others if you fond of the Egyptology and History .

References : "Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary by Budge" ;

"Black Nations and Culture by Cheikh Anta Diop" ; "Learn Somali by Diriye Abdillahi "

Fiqi's Somali English Dictionary " by A.A Hashi 1985 .etc...

RAGEEDIII-The Perfect Men : Somali Egyptian-Puntite Destiny.Cultural Anthropological Links.

The Ancient-Egyptians named themselves "Rageedii": "The perfect men" in their language and the Somali People use still now this name "Rageedii" with the same ancient-egyptian meaning "The perfect men". For example in somali language : " U dadaal sidii Rageedii"= Make efforts as Rageedii ,the perfect men.

Here, Some historical and linguistic proofs :

The Famous French Egyptologist Christiane D.Noblecourt , in her book "Hatshepsout ,the Mysterious Queen" detailed the expedition of Queen Hatshepsut to the Land of Punt and she said that the Ancient-Egyptians and The Puntites used to speak and communicate with the same language./

« Again the representations of the early Puntites, or Somali people, on the Egyptian monuments, show striking resemblances to the Egyptians themselves. » By Brian Brown New York: Brentano's[1923]/

In “The Making of Egypt” (1939). Petrie states that the Land of Punt was “sacred to the Egyptians as the source of their race"/

"The King Sa

http://somaliegyptianpuntite.blogspot.co.uk/?view=classic

Chimera   

Crap, crap, crap. Somalis have their own ancient heritage, no need to steal that of others. You guys need to stay clear from all these race forums, full of afrocentrists and deluded supremacists. These language comparisons could be made with the Rendille tribesmen, but I guess they're not as majestic to the ears as the Pharoahs, eh?

Instead of solidifying the presence of Punt, Macrobia, Opone, Malao, Mosylon, etc in Somalia through archaeology and heritage studies, we have people running after a non-Somali Kingdom to the west, smh.

Chimera   

I'm not referring to you Macalinka, but you should be cautious with these sort of comparisons, they only serve to create a 'fake' link with the Ancient Egyptians, that the African Americans, and Europeans in the past and present have tried to do in the form of dress, literature, film, cuisine, etc.

Our ancestors traded with the Ancient Egyptians, but we aren't them, nor did we come from Ancient Egypt.

wait for the surprise in coming few years.Whether they came from us or otha way around is the same=same people.Genetics don't lie unless manipulated.

Chimera;859630 wrote:

Our ancestors traded with the Ancient Egyptians, but we aren't them, nor did we come from Ancient Egypt.

I don't think we are from them but i think there are similarities in the language and some of their customs too since our ancestors traded with them.

Afrocentrics have been going crazy over this whole ancient Egypt thing.

we shouldn't claim ancient Egypt, we have great ancient history that has not been researched. if archaeological research has been done on ancient Somali ports then i am sure we could learn a lot from them. somaliyas claim on land of punt is so far myths no hard evidence. as far as i know

Somalis are essential migrants from pre-dynastic Egypt, so it makes sense. Ancient Egyptian is the oldest known Afro-Asiatic language (under which the Semetic and Cushitic languages fall under) from what I know. Also, certain Ancient Egyptian customs like female circumcision are found in the Horn and North Africa. Out of all the Arab countries, modern day Egyptians cluster closest to Somalis, followed by the Yemenis. That's surprising when you consider the distances between the two countries.

With that said, I agree with the above comments about not trying to claim something so far gone. Afro-centrists preoccupy themselves with the days of yore, while forgetting the more important issues of today.