Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Schoolhouse to jailhouse

N.O.R.F   

African American and Hispanic students in US public schools are receiving disproportionate disciplinary action that has led to what many are calling the “school-to-prison pipeline”. Studies show that minority pupils are more often suspended or expelled, which some view as the first step toward incarceration.

According to statistics from a 2009-10 sample study by the US Department of Education, African American students constituted 39 per cent of school expulsions while making up only 18 per cent of the sample population. These unequal disciplinary measures may have harmful secondary effects as well: results from one research study found African American kindergarteners were three times as likely to see themselves as academic failures compared to their Caucasian peers.

In this episode of The Stream, we speak to Garrett Duncan, Associate Professor of Education at the Washington University in St. Louis, and Judith Browne-Dianis (@jbrownedianis), co-director at the Advancement Project. Members of The Stream community also join us in a Google+ hangout.

In an effort to make classrooms safer following the massacre at Columbine High School in 1999, schools across the US adopted zero-tolerance discipline policies to regulate student behaviour. Designed to ensure consistent punishments for misbehaviour, the policy aims to deter disruption by threat of severe repercussions. Ideally, as a result of these procedures, students who want to learn will not have their education compromised by problematic peers.

Despite these intentions, studies dispute the effectiveness of zero-tolerance policies. Below, a graph describes the rise in out-of-school suspensions--particularly for African American students--in the wake of the policy shift.

Watch the discussion

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/schoolhouse-jailhouse-0022321

raula   

Apophis;859356 wrote:
But seriously, this stats are bad and I wonder if Somalis are affected in similar way.

Well, Minnesota having one of the largest populations of somalis..& rightly perhaps by #'s the most incarcerated..(my guess) could be indirectly affected by increase in prison terms in most states while some states have cut down. Just heard this on the local news the other day..here is some of the report.

"Study: Minn. Prison Terms Lengthening, Costs Rising

The average prison term for all crimes committed by Minnesota offenders has grown by 38 percent in the past two decades, the 11th largest increase of all states surveyed, costing state taxpayers an additional $93 million, according to a recent report from the Pew Center on the States...."

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2736594.shtml?cat=1

Here is the pew Center report..(http://www.pewstates.org/uploadedFiles/PCS_Assets/2012/Prison_Time_Served.pdf)

In my perception & I am sorry if i offend any SOLers from Florida..(how do i say this in better terms)..this state is one of the F*CK-up states socially, economically & perhaps spiritually. Their policies are for loonies :D

I really don't give a shit anymore. Everyone will continue complain about the 'system' destroying these kids. Nothing will change until the degenerate cultures in many black communities are cast out. From the one year I spent mentoring kids at a school in Mississauga, I've lost any hope I had for the 'black' community. The only kid with any future in the group wasn't even black (he was an Indian who had far too many Jamaican friends).

raula   

" Degenerate Cultures..." well well..that says a lot? You might want to look at some historical data/facts on where there used to be "degenerate" before times like slavery/colonization et cetera. Btw, some systems are directly interfering w/black progress like the rates of incarcerations in USA (don't know about other countries in particular)..when you have disproportionate #'s of black/minorities incarcerated more than they exist in schools & that could start from their nascent years in school/daycare..where minority children are expelled or punished severely compared to other groups.

raula;859569 wrote:
" Degenerate Cultures..." well well..that says a lot? You might want to look at some historical data/facts on where there used to be "degenerate" before times like slavery/colonization et cetera. Btw, some systems are directly interfering w/black progress like the rates of incarcerations in USA (don't know about other countries in particular)..when you have disproportionate #'s of black/minorities incarcerated more than they exist in schools & that could start from their nascent years in school/daycare..where minority children are expelled or punished severely compared to other groups.

I'm not denying that a brutal past and exigent circumstances led them to this point. I'm just stating my opinion on what I see now. They made many strides during the 60's and 70's but all of that was lost during the heroin epidemic of the 70's and the devastating crack epidemic of the late 80's-early 90's. Also, the rates of incarceration are the symptom of the problem, not the the cause of it.

I'll also argue against the notion that they are expelled or punished more severely, I'd say that the opposite is what's making things worse. The denial of social responsibility is why thugs and menaces are rarely expelled and continue to harass students that want to learn (that includes black students). I knew a Jamaican kid who put someone in intensive care at my old high school and was allowed to return, they cited 'problems at home' as being the reason behind his attempt at murder (which is bull as I knew his family). Yet they enforce a zero tolerance policy that would have anyone else expelled for a simple skirmish.

What's embarrassing about this is the fact that this low expectation of black men applies to all of us. During the rash of Somali homicides in Edmonton, I had skipped a few classes (like any other kid at the school)As a result, my guidance counselor brings me in to ask if I had been involved with a 'rough crowd' in the past and if I needed someone to talk to :confused:

raula;859431 wrote:

In my perception & I am sorry if i offend any SOLers from Florida..(how do i say this in better terms)..this state is one of the F*CK-up states socially, economically & perhaps spiritually. Their policies are for loonies
:D

I use to think Ohio/Minnesota were bad until i was sent to Florida two weeks for work. All the stereotypes about that place is true. Meel ka foolxun, ama dadka degen ka shaqsi xun weligeey ma arag. Waa Qashin Qub.

Apophis;859648 wrote:
One of the problem with America is the inbuilt idea of "jail them until they're good" philosophy which does nothing but brutalise the criminal, something which the society end up paying for. In my opinion, the European method of short prison or no prison, for the lowly offender, is much better for the society in the long term.

That would be true if there were no guns in the U.S and people weren't inherently just retarded and ******. Just look at the USA....how else could you keep 300 million people (more than half of them Armed) from killing/destroying each other? Sharci/Xabsi/iyo Maxkamado. That's how. You have Somalis/Blacks/Whites/Latinos/Mexicans/Spanish/Asians/Arab/Muslims that share nothing in common and probably hate each other, but somehow live in peace for the most part. And that's due to large part of people's fear of going to prison. So no, you can't take the threat of going to Xabsi away, or even giving them short prison sentences.

Blackflash;859443 wrote:
I really don't give a shit anymore. Everyone will continue complain about the 'system' destroying these kids. Nothing will change until the degenerate cultures in many black communities are cast out. From the one year I spent mentoring kids at a school in Mississauga, I've lost any hope I had for the 'black' community. The only kid with any future in the group wasn't even black (he was an Indian who had far too many Jamaican friends).

losing hope is like giving up! keep strong and have patience.

Tallaabo   

Nin-Yaaban;859397 wrote:
Adigu keebaad u dabeecad dhowdahay?

Ninyahaw anigu cadaan iyo madaw midna ma ihi ee Soomaali baan ahay.