Sign in to follow this  
Abwaan

Somalia: A new parliament but no presidential vote

Abwaan   

MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — Members of a new parliament in Somalia are being sworn in, but there will be no presidential election.

The mandate for Somalia's U.N. mandate ended Monday, the day by which international backers had hoped a new presidential election would be held. But selection of a new, 275-member parliament has lagged behind schedule amid allegations of intimidation and corruption, and elections for a speaker of parliament and president are still several days away.

Some 225 people have been named to the 275-member parliament, and those members are to be sworn in Monday. When the full body is seated, elections will be held.

Somalia has been without a fully functioning government since 1991. The U.N. hopes the current political changes will help seat a government that can provide services to the people.

http://news.yahoo.com/somalia-parliament-no-presidential-vote-062821839.html

Abwaan   

Not sure when it is. I guess the parliament needs to be completed but there will be a big news in Mogadisho within the next few hours. Dowladda ayaa la kala dirayaa.

Daqane   
I think they will make the biggest mistake if they elect the speaker or president with a quorum of 230 mps they need to wait until all the 275 members are present to vote.

Most of the wires, including but not limited to VOA Africa, press tv, BBC Africa and the official UNPOS twitter page, whose job it is to oversee the elections all are reporting that the swearing of the MPs, whose number totals around 225 is underway. Elections could be held today. UNPOS did say that they have majority and will hold elections as scheduled. Brace yourselves for a long day, things might not get underway until well into the late afternoon, early evening hours. .

Daqane   
Big mistake, some clans are going to be disenfranchised if the voting goes on today they really should have waited for the full parliament to sit. I really hoped what ever administration that would have been elected would have some measure of legitimacy even if it is by the current circuses standard.

I agree with you, voting without the whole 275 MPs, some clans will oppose the new admin and will consume vital time and resource to satisfy them. if Somalis waited 22 years to get out of intrim admin surely they can wait for another day or two.

Mooge   

if sheekh shariif insists warlords should be included and his clan is holding up their mps so that warlords can be included, then we should not wait. mps must go ahead with presidential vote. there has to be limit. you can't hold the process hostage.

we want the warlords out. if shariif wants them in, we must go ahead with voting without his group.

Mooge sharif is still ur president till elections happen.and even if he wants warlords the constitution doesn't say warlords are not allowed to be mps I remember ur hero yey had all kind of warlords in his govt what's so different today.

Somalia   

Xaaji Xunjuf;858438 wrote:
Mooge sharif is still ur president till elections happen.and even if he wants warlords the constitution doesn't say warlords are not allowed to be mps I remember ur hero yey had all kind of warlords in his govt what's so different today.

There would have been no TFG if it weren't for them warlords as they wielded power, today they wield no power so they are no needed. You think we should admit them for "moral" reasons?