Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Reviving somali names..

burahadeer;838457 wrote:

Isak(isaxaaq)=jews have too

kahin=jews have this name too like kahana,kahin,cohen...is all the same

farah(faarax in somali)=also jews have this name.

As far as I know only somalis & jews have these 3 names.

Isxaaq (CS) waa magac nabi kamid ah nabiyada, kaasoo ah nabigii dhalay Yacquub (CS) ama loo yaqaan (israa'iil) kaasoo ay kasoo farcameen 12ka qabiil ee ay ka koobnaayeen yuhuudu. Marka magaca Isxaaq Somali & Yuhuud uma gooni aha ee waa magac muslimiintoo dhami la baxaan.

burahadeer;838469 wrote:
waar kanaa ugu daran...all of thm arabic.

sterliin=sterling

Hindo= hindi

what do you mean all of them? few of them might have arabic origin but have been Somalized.

we are not talking about somalised, we looking for pure somali like egal,buraale,sagal,sureer,barwaaqo,hibaaq etc

mohamed,abdi,yusuf,asha,amina all these are somalised arabic names too.....!!

MoonLight1;838470 wrote:
Isxaaq (CS) waa magac nabi kamid ah nabiyada, kaasoo ah nabigii dhalay Yacquub (CS) ama loo yaqaan (israa'iil) kaasoo ay kasoo farcameen 12ka qabiil ee ay ka koobnaayeen yuhuudu. Marka magaca Isxaaq Somali & Yuhuud uma gooni aha ee waa magac muslimiintoo dhami la baxaan.

have you eva seen a muslim by that name except somalis...I neva did.

burahadeer;838473 wrote:
we are not talking about somalised, we looking for pure somali like egal,buraale,sagal,sureer,barwaaqo,hibaaq etc

mohamed,abdi,yusuf,asha,amina all these are somalised arabic names too.....!!

We are not in a position to carry out that level of authority to distinguish what is called Pure Somali names and non Pure, unless we have the special knowledge and research. How do we know these names you call "arabic" are not originally Somali and adapted by the arabs, bury in mind Somali language being one of the oldest in the world. Secondly, if you try to separate every so called (arabic) word from the Somali, you'll have a handicapped language as the two languages are entwined for centuries and we use "arabic" words for every day language. Its like saying lets separate the Saxon-Germanic words from the english. It does not work like that, languages and civilizations do mix and marry.

MoonLight1;838476 wrote:
We are not in a position to carry out that level of authority to distinguish what is called Pure Somali names and non Pure, unless we have the special knowledge and research. How do we know these names you call "arabic" are not originally Somali and adapted by the arabs, bury in mind Somali language being one of the oldest in the world. Secondly, if you try to separate every so called (arabic) word from the Somali, you'll have a handicapped language as the two languages are entwined for centuries and we use "arabic" words for every day language. Its like saying lets separate the Saxon-Germanic words from the english. It does not work like that, languages and civilizations do mix and marry.

you'r absolutely wrong.Every somali who speak fluent somali can tell which name is somali,there r few who could be confused with like "hibo,hiba" and even those could easily be clarified by the real nomad.True, languages mix but alien ones r known which is what we trying to do here.The english know which one is french or german & so too r somalis when they look deep into it.Besides nothing wrong if we wana reclaim our names.Look at the Ethiopians,they christian & still called Tedesse,Haile etc..

note amharic & swahili have more arabic in them than somali.Just look how they count.Most of the arabic words in somali came the last 70yrs when we first emigrated to aden.

Look the Poets of Qamaan Bulhan & see how many arabic words you can grasp.Maybe 3 or 4.

Salaan carabey had more arabic & english in his poets cos he was a seaman.I did quite lot research.

Coofle   

burahadeer;838479 wrote:
you'r absolutely wrong.Every somali who speak fluent somali can tell which name is somali,there r few who could be confused with like "hibo,hiba" and even those could easily be clarified by the real nomad.

Exactly...

Blessed   

Buurahadeer, the Somali-Yemeni link goes further back than 70 years ago. With Somalis traveling to Yemen for business and vice versa, there were also many Yemeni settlers in coastal towns. I do agree with the rest of your post. Though, I personally think, naming a child need not be a nationalist exercise, go with what sounds nice, I say. A name does not determine your engagement with your dhaqan.

Xaaji Xunjuf;838417 wrote:
Qawdhan

Abdi

Yalaxow

Culusow

Hurre

Muuday

Barkhad

Shuuriye

Deyr

Abshir

Geele

Cawad

Liibaan

Qamaan

Farax

Guray

Ducaale

cabane

Xujaale

Cige

Galaydh

Shire

Cigaal

Gahayr

Caydiid

keenadiid

Samatar

Godane

Jimcaale

Xandule

Magan

karinaye

Guleed

Diiriye

Sugulle

Caynaashe

Xirsi

dhamal

Xildiid

haybe

Ganey

Hare

Turwa

Xamud

Dumarka

Cosob

Cibaado

Cawrala

dhagdheer

xalimo

xadiya

ardo

idil

Barako

Ayaan

hibo

kaltuun

Dhuubo

Shuun

Batuulo

beerlula

Kinsi

weris

Shukri

Kowsar

Fiigsan

Hufan

ceebla

cadar

XX, magacyadaan badankood waa Carabi, (XX, waxaan kuu heystay inaad tahay Soomaali Asal ah oo baadiye kusoo koray laakiin waa i niyad jabisay :) ).

Ragga

Abdi waa Carabi la micna ah Addoon

Abshir waa Carabi la micna ah Hambalyo ama Farxad

Farax waa Carabi oo ah sifaha Farxad

Ducaale waxay ka kooban tahay Ducaa + le, qeyta hore waa Carabi oo la sifeeyay

Xujaale waxay ka kooban tahay Xuja +le, qeybta hore waa Carabi

Cigaal waxaan u malaynaa in laga keenay ereyga Ciqaal oo ah erey Carabi ah

Jimcaale waa Jimca + le, qeybta hore waa Carabi

Xirsi waa Carabi waxayna la micna tahay Magan

haybe waxaan u malaynayaa in laga wado Heybad nin leh, Heybadna waa Carabi

Xamud waa erey Carabi ah, la micna ah Mahadiye

Dumarka

Cibaado waa magac Carabi ah

Cawrala waxay ka kooban tahay laba erey Cowra + le, qeybta hore waa erey Carabi ah

xalimo waa Magac Carabi ah

ardo waa Carabi la micna ah Dhul

Barako Waa magac Carabi ah

hibo waa Magac Carabi ah

kaltuun waa magac Carabi ah, waxaa la dhihi jiray gabadhi Nabi Muxammed SCW Ummu Kaltuum

Batuulo waa Magac Carabi ah oo la micnaha ah qof dhowrsoon

Kinsi waa Carabi la micna ah Keyd

weris waa Carabi la micna ah Ubax

Shukri waa Magac Carabi ah

Kowsar waa erey Carabi ah, suurad ka mid ah Quraanka ayaa lagu magacaabaa

ceebla waxay ka kooban tahay laba erey Ceeb + la, tan hore waa erey Carabi ah

cadar waa erey Carabi ah, udgoon ayaa loola jeedaa

MoonLight1;838470 wrote:

Wrong Nabi Yacquub caruurtisa ayaa mid ka mid ah la odhan jiray Judah kaas ayay ka farcameen waxa la yidha Yuhuuda marka 11 ka kale eh dhashi Nabi yacquub dee Yahuud kuma abtirsadan eeh wa reer bani Israiil.

*Blessed;838581 wrote:
Buurahadeer, Though, I personally think, naming a child need not be a nationalist exercise, go with what sounds nice, I say. A name does not determine your engagement with your dhaqan.

true but problem arises when you have one or two people with somali names out of hundred.Then really in crisis mode.Our names have meaning go along with, for example, Roble/ xareedo is given one born during raining.It's same we need to preserve trees not found anywhere else or historical sites.

Showqi   

Well, I am glad that my real name made into this thread. I am not gonna tell you though (Blessed was the one who mentioned).