Sign in to follow this  
Mario B

Lol, Is this Burahadeer's new party!!

Mario B   

Somaliland Secular Party(SSP)

Soyan Guled

Monday, May 28, 2012

The Silanyo administration recently introduced a law legalising new parties to form lifting the previous limit of three parties. No one is quite sure why Silanyo and Saylici decided to take this step now as there was no national clamour for the creation of new parties. The chaos that followed was predictable and tragic: Every clan and its camel decided to set up their own party. None of the new entities have any vision, agenda, political ideology other than to ‘big up’ their clan and hopefully do down all other clans at the same time.

When some of the new bodies failed to meet the clearly laid out criteria (minimum of 1,000 members and an office in each of the country’s six regions) and were denied registration, they threatened to pour down fire and brimstone on Silanyo’s old head. No clan can stand for the insult of not being able to have their own party particularly if the clan next door, whom they naturally despise, have been allowed to have theirs. Thus is the time dis-hounoured shamelessness of the Somali clan.

Pity because there is a need for real political movements with real ideas and real vision in the country. There is a space for at least three big idea:

A pan-Somali Unionist Party which openly advocates for the re-union with Somalia; an Islamist Party to cater for the powerful and growing Salafists who are replacing Somaliland’s once moderate and loving Shafi’s faith with their strict and Saudi-based sect and lastly, an openly Secular party to counterbalance this headlong and dangerous descent into Wahabbism

Here, I put forward what the last would have looked like. I will leave to others to come up with their views on the other two parties:

Constitution: The State is secular where religion is between Allah (SWT) and the individual not between the State and Allah. All laws – business, penal and civil laws will be secular laws although accommodation will be made on civil matters like marriages and divorces to use the traditional Somali Shafi’i Islamic laws.

The Flag: The flag will be changed and the takbeer removed. This will bring it in line with the 54 of the 55 other Muslim nations who do not have Takbeer or Tasheed on their flags. The colours will also be changed as the tri-colour looks like the flag of Italy or Hungary and has nothing to say about the country’s African/Somali/Muslim heritage.

The Economy: We will introduce a National Lottery that can be accessed inside and outside the country. The money will be used to fund schools, roads and hospitals. It is noted that Somalilanders in the West are happy to take the social welfare benefits gained from lotteries and taxes on alcohol but will somehow

Alcohol: This will be freely bought and sold but heavily taxed. This will bring Somaliland in line with 50 of the 55 Muslim nations.

Niqab/Hijab: This will be banned from the Policewoman, Nurses and teachers. This is unsomali and does not form part of our culture. It also gives a negative image of the country as a Talibanistic entity.

Recognition:We will not make such a big issue about this but will focus our efforts instead on the economy and security. Special arrangements will be sought from international markets and partners to address the issue of investment, insurance etc which currently hamper economic growth as the country is legally defined as part of Somalia. In the longer-term we will create a recognition fund of $100 Million dollars and focus all our efforts in targeting malleable African countries

Talking to Somalia:We will do this openly once the people of Somalia elect a legitimate and representative administration. Our proposals may include re-union for 10 year period followed by referendum from the people of Somaliland only.

Piracy:we will stop the co-operation with western powers over the detaining of Somali pirates. We will reject serving as the rich world’s jailer.

warya add that women can go their head uncovered if they wish so.

Mini skirts if they wish so.

Bars and clubs for the hungry diaspora..

what a new dawn:D

Marksman   

I'm all for secularism and a strong civil society and government that protects the Somali culture from outside forces (Wahhabism etc.)

Did you already read this? Even though it's about southern Somalia, I think the north has also potential to become a place of peace and prosperity such as in the past.

We should find a balance between modernism and our culture.

Discos to destruction: Images of Mogadishu

A new photo exhibit offers proof of Mogadishu's forgotten past alongside more recent images of a country ruined by famine and war.

Funky dancing in a seaside bar, Vespa scooters on elegant, broad boulevards: the faded images of a lost Somalia and its ancient capital are at odds with a place now better known for famine and war.

Female police officers in caps and tight blouses pose in another shot from the 1980s, an image unthinkable today in the restive capital even though the Al-Qaeda affiliated Islamist Shebab insurgents were driven out last year.

In another shot, a narrow street with Moorish architecture like that in the film classic Casablanca leads to a white-washed stone archway, beyond which the deep blue waters of the Indian Ocean glitter in the distance.

"Instead of looking at our differences, the photographs help to show what we all have in common -- our history," said co-curator Ismail Osman, who grew up in Somalia but fled to the US in 1991.

'

Female police officers in caps and tight blouses pose in another shot from the 1980s''

and people make us believe it was neva so.Great days come back inshalah....

Mario B   

Female police officers in caps and tight blouses pose in another shot from the 1980s, an image unthinkable today in the restive capital even though the Al-Qaeda affiliated Islamist Shebab insurgents were driven out last year.

-----

My last memory of Mogadishu in the late eighties was of female somali police officers in khaki, with their beautiful afro curly hair been blown by the breeze as they tried to keep order... before the anarchy 3 years later. I was a young boy and I think that is when I discovered the opposite sex...i was in love.:)

My last memory of Somalia, was sleeping outside a bus terminal/stop in saylac, for a break whilst making our journey from Hargeisa to Djibouti.

"There used to be more nightclubs than mosques in Mogadishu, believe me," said Diriye wistfully, pointing to another shot from the same years of women in flowery minidresses grooving alongside men in tight white flares.

War waxa been badanaa. Diiriye naga qalee bahasha. What nightclubs hortaba? Alcuruba bas la wada garanaaye oo Caweyska la dhihi jiray. Iyo no more than the two caweysyo ku yaalay xeebaha Liido iyo Jasiira. I am not even sure if there were even 'clubs' or restaurant bars.

Mario B   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;835883 wrote:
War waxa been badanaa. Diiriye naga qalee bahasha. What nightclubs hortaba? Alcuruba bas la wada garanaaye oo Caweyska la dhihi jiray. Iyo no more than the two caweysyo ku yaalay xeebaha Liido iyo Jasiira. I am not even sure if there were even 'clubs' or restaurant bars.

Lol, Somalis call tea houses, bar. Maybe that is what he meant.:D

Another French propaganda, they were celebrating some art exposition with uncovered women attending as a first in Jeddah, within their diplomatic building.

Half that energy in stopping their looting spree in Africa, particularly where their bases and puppets allow them decades of "stable" dynasties starving rich countries, would have contributed more to humanity than bikinis and similar "freedoms" (not to mention their active role in the Rwanda Genocide, recent colonial large-scale massacres still not recognised or compensated in Algeria, Madagascar, Vietnam etc etc).