Sign in to follow this  
walaalkis

Life without internet for Somali community

Internet is taking its taking its toll on Somali communities at home and abroad. Truthfully speaking , Internet has become virtualcivil war for Somalis with many clan based sites. I can't really figure out one positive impact it has on us other than just able to

communicate family and friends conveniently .

Literarily speaking in all the nations, I think we the least who benefited the world wide web.

Majority of Somali sites are news based.

Are you complaining about the quality of somali websites or the "life without internet for somali community"? sheekadaada iyo headlinekaada maba islaha niyahow. Bal inoo kala saar sxbow.

Yes, Some of the clan based internent websites are quite vicious...and vitriol, but they do provide news. Not all of them are bad. You have the freedom to choose what to read and where to read from....Anu for instance, I dont visit any of the somali news websites except HOL and BBC laanta af somaliga. I some times peruse thru the other ones,but thats it.

You have reduced the entire internet usage to news portals. Generally Internet is much broader than that, but I guess you already know it. As for the Somalis not benefiting from it(www), well it all depends how one uses it. It seems you only focused on the negative side of www and quite specifically on the Somali news portals. However, you forgot to look at the bigger benefits it brought to us. For example, the xawaala system, the telecommunication networks, phone credit (zad or sad what ever they call it). And even on Education sector.

If you have internet you are simply connected to the rest of the world and it will have its good and bad influence.

Internet is the new magic! Just avoid the bad sites n use the good ones! What i like about the internet is the knowledge availability there on demand. I do all my researches there!

I am believer that a university is already obsolete since one can learn anything they desire from internet. I have done more courses on my own online, then i ever did in uni. I just completed my Vmware studies. It took only a month. One hr a day did it for me.