Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Farmaajo in Boston

Malika   

^Perhaps she wasn't laying the blame on the young men - My understanding of her words is that she was trying to say is that if it weren't for the bickering men - she would have been home - among her people protected by her culture/religion/family etc - far away from having to deal with the trauma caused by their bickering, having to deal with being a foreign in a foreign culture, or having to face racism, islamaphobia etc etc..

Chimera   

She would be in Mogadishu, a cosmopolitan fashion hub, a Capital of festivals, the Monaco of Africa, the Pearl of the Indian Ocean, its port filled with international yatchs and cruise-liners. On the seaside would be majestic Moorish hotels and palaces filled with the elite, the city square roaming with young lovers, the world-class beaches frequented by tourists from all over. The foreign influences would still be there by default of Somalia's success, who would she blame then?

I still don't accept this 'generalised blame a whole group' phenomena that has become common in Somali discourse. A extremist group does something, all Wadaads are judged by the actions of that group, one Somali girl does something, all Somali women must be like that. Yes, some men from the old generation failed their people, but my father from that same generation and the fathers of plenty of other Somali men and women didn't, in-fact if they had Somalia and the diaspora would be in an even worser state.

Malika   

^Perhaps so, but she is telling her story which is perhaps different to yours, hers seems to consists of trauma, loss and more so threat and it seems very real to her hence the breakdown - now you might disagree with her generalised blame - of holding every SOmali men either directly involved or indirectly involved to allowing what happened in Somalia to happen....

ps.She is mourning, am sure she is allowed to vent out.

As for Mogadishu - at least she would have been 'home' - cant underestimate what that is and feels.

Chimera   

I lost relatives too Malika, this doesn't give me cart-blanche to vent out at certain clans, or groups, because one or two individuals were responsible. This is one of the reasons why the conflict keeps evolving, its starts with venting and then it mutates into something more sinister. There is another sister who lost her father only a couple of years ago, his name was Abdulkadir Yahya Ali, a prominent peace-activist killed in 2005, and she too was mourning, but she had a much more optimistic attitude, one where she would continue studying and then return home to maintain and expand her father's legacy. There are many men like her father hailing from that 'demonised' generation that have sacrificed their lives for the next generation, it's disrespectful too ignore them because our dictators and warlords belong to that same age-bracket.

I'm only going by what Che provided in this topic, so the whole quote could be out of context, but I found it really strange.

Malika   

^imagine! lol - then again, did someone mention it being for charity?

Chimera, I hear you- nevertheless everyone mourns a loss differently.

NGONGE   

^^ What charity? The foundation for the rehabilitation of former Somali PMs? Naga daaya dee. :D

It's for a new charity by the name The foundation for reuniting Somalia , was re gistered a year ago! Do contribute please!

I heard K'naan is a member and will be releasing a new album, all the profit will go towords the charity.

Jacpher   

Chimera;827916 wrote:
I'm sorry, what? Its very sad what happened to her father, but how is potentially finding love outside the community relevant to the conflict? She's my generation, both she and I were toddlers or in primary school when the war started, how can she hold me or any Somali guy her age responsible for something they had nothing to do with? That's essentially the reason behind her 'gaalo raac' comment, right? Old Somali men have disappointed her, so she must ignore all young Somali men and look elsewhere, that seems more like an excuse rather than anything sincere.

It is a convenient excuse for her to scapegoat others instead of taking full personal responsibility of her situation. Plenty of others have gone and still go through what she may have gone through years back so the idea of holding people that killed her father responsible on how she carries herself is just ridiculous. I know of someone when you tell him tuko or diinta baro, he'll tell you, general Aideed chased me out of my dugsi qur'aan when I was a little so Aideed is to blame for my lack of diin practice. I told him he's too stup1d to blame his failure on a dead man.

Aaliyyah   

Che, thanks walaal for taking the time to tell us about the event.

Chimera, the little girl is still dealing with the loss of her father. So allow it. You don't need to analyze it.

Jacphar lool@ general aideed chased me out of my dugsi! qosol badanaa...some people are funny. Are you sure that guy was being sincere? maybe he was just kidding. Deep down he knows his lack of practicing his deen is his own choice. Not to mention people in somalia prior the war didn't really practice religion (hada baaba la qaatay.)...dadkaas laakin dhaqan bay haysteen. Waa dhici kartaa dhaqankaas in uu waxbadan oo xun u diidayey.

NGONGE   

Macallinka;828003 wrote:
It's for a new charity by the name
The foundation for reuniting Somalia
, was re gistered a year ago! Do contribute please!

I heard K'naan is a member and will be releasing a new album, all the profit will go towords the charity.

Heh! Is this stuff real? :D

Farmaajo is a good man. Not a very inspiring ospeaker,but he has some great ideas. I think he needs to come out fully and say why he resigned. murky to say the least.

Ps. I met a confidante of his in Minneapolis, i asked and pressed him on different issues...and i was not satisfied.