Sign in to follow this  
BN

Somalia Portraits

BN   

The strength of our people is remarkable. Ilaahay ha u fudeeyo.

POLICEMAN_MG_2607.jpeg

"Six years ago I became a policeman, and in that time I have been hit by three improvised explosive devices. The shrapnel still lodged in my shoulder, groin and arm causes me no end of problems. But I feel lucky because many of my friends are dead. Al-Shabaab calls me from time to time to try and intimidate me and tell me to quit the force."

Hussein Jiinow Afrah, 28.

PORTER_MG_2149.jpeg

"I'm a porter at a maize mill and I have a wife and six children. I can't afford to send them to school on my salary, and unfortunately I cannot speak to you very long because I only get paid for each bag I carry. I get ten cents per bag so I have to keep working."

Hussein Moalim Mahadi, 50.

MAJOR_CLINIC_SECURITY_MG_2977.jpeg

"I have had three wives and have 28 children. I'm a retired major in the TFG and now am a security officer in Villa Somalia. I was shot by an al-Shabaab sniper in the Villa Somalia compound in February 2011. The bullet is still in my neck, and it is hard for me to breathe when I lie down. The surgeon said I would lose my voice if he tried to remove the bullet."

Major Abdi Abdullahi, 62.

MILL_WORKER_MG_2156.jpeg

"I am a maize husker in a milling factory. I make $80 a month, and since my husband is unemployed I have to support my nine children on my salary alone. My dream right now is simply to hold onto my job and support my family even though the dust causes me allergy problems."

Fatima Mohamud Mohammed, 40.

IDP_MG_2637.jpeg

"I live at the K7 camp for internally displaced people. We came from Lower Shabelle because of the drought and problems with al-Shabaab militants. I can't remember how long I have been here. Everyday at 11:00am I get in line for food, but sometimes when I get to the front there is nothing left. After the food line, I spend the rest of the day looking after my younger brothers and sisters. I'm in the middle of eight kids. When I grow up I want to be a mother."

Fatima Abukara Abdi, 12.

nice pic homie!! woow...thats really a hard life. We should get together pple n help our brother n sisters. Who is up for it. Let us make an org help them out

What we go to lose!! nada..but win win situation for all of us.

Malika   

^Your already abroad arent you?

The image and captions put things in perspective - tough life indeed.

Abtigiis   

Waryaa NG, meeshan ciyaar ma taalo saaxiib! Walaahi ilmaa igu soo istaagtay. Dhibaatada dadkan haysata caadi ma aha. And some of us complain about this, that and what not!

This is heart-touching, the 40 old woman must be an exceptional, an angle to her family, may Allah bless her and all of them.

NGONGE   

Abtigiis;825689 wrote:
Waryaa NG, meeshan ciyaar ma taalo saaxiib! Walaahi ilmaa igu soo istaagtay. Dhibaatada dadkan haysata caadi ma aha. And some of us complain about this, that and what not!

Naga daa dee. 28 children is no small number for a "struggling" man. He probably gets a good pay and his only problem here is that bullet in his neck.

p.s.

The first one has put a white towl on his gun. :D

p.p.s

Cheer up, they're all still alive.