Sign in to follow this  
Viking

Is Killing An Apostate in the Islamic Law?

Brother Viking, in October 1942 a concerned Muslim like you put this thought-provoking question to one of the most revered Muslim Scholars of the last century, Sheikh Abul Ala Mawdudi of Indian subcontinent.

Question:

Has Islam established execution as the penalty for the apostate? What proof of this is found in the Qur'an? If execution as the penalty of apostasy cannot be established from the Qur'an, to what extent can it be derived from the Hadith and the Sunnah? Moreover what could have been the reason leading Abu Bakr to execute the apostates? How can the legality of the execution of the apostates be demonstrated rationally?

Under a truly Muslim rule should non-Muslims receive the same right to propagate their religions as Muslims ought to receive to propagate their religion? Under the Rightly-Guided Caliphs and their successors were rights accorded to kuffar (infidels) and ahl-i kitab ("The People of the Book": Jews and Christians) to propagate their religions? To what extent do the Qur'an, the Sunnah and reason demonstrate the absence of this legality?

I have thought much about both these matters but have not been able to arrive at any conclusion. Both sides have strong arguments. The Qur'an and the Sunnah offer no special explanation about these matters, at least as far as my limited understanding goes. It will be good if an answer to this can be published in Tarjuman al-Qur'an because many others like me are interested in this discussion.

His subsequent essay on this subject is, I found, quite educating and enlightening. And thusly worthy of reading for you or anyone who wants to solidify their understanding of this controversial issue

1-The Problem of the Apostate's Execution from a Legal Perspective

2-The Execution of the Apostate: A Rational Consideration

For Brother Nur, this could be of help in your upcoming intellectual battle with Warsame, me thinks.

3- The Problem of the Propagation of Kufr in the House of Islam

4-Concerning the Propagation of Kufr: The Rationale of the Islamic Stance

I hope this helps.

Viking   

xiinfaniin,

Thanks for the effort bro. But I'm wondering why you got the information from the most anti-Islamic site on the net :confused:

Originally posted by Viking:

xiinfaniin,

Thanks for the effort bro.
But I'm wondering why you got the information from the most anti-Islamic site on the net :confused:

Is that nacfigaad ka heshay mawsuucada cilmiga ah?

In my humble opinion, Authenticity matters and not the location of it.

Unless you’re interested in dood aan dux badan laheyn!

Viking   

xinfaanin,

I thanked you for your the effort (this meant that I was going to read it) but I was suprised when I saw where you got the info. Maybe you aren't really familiar with that site but those who do know how much effort they put in trying to tarnish the Noor of Islam.

In my humble opinion, Authenticity matters and not the location of it.

Just a word of advise...your opinions is anything but humble when you point to your humility.

Originally posted by Viking:

....Maybe you aren't really familiar with that site but those who do know how much effort they put in trying to tarnish the Noor of Islam.

Viking, For the sake of civility of this discussion, Doodu madax bay leedahay ee minjaha ha qaban! Read the article, good brother, and see if it gives you another perspective on this issue.

P.S. YFI, I frequently get my Islamic reference from a library in one of the most liberal universities in America and don’t bother me a bit! In fact I appreciate it.

Nur   

Viking Bro and all other Nomads

I was away from the waves, still too busy, however, the bulk of the answer I prepared since last time remains to be posted inshAllah soon, excuse me for the delay.

Nur

Lidia   

Wow! What a great debate. I can sadly say that my Islamic knowledge is truly limited. However, I can see why such question can be very confusing. From reading this Article I would say that apostasy is not a crime which should be punished my killing the individual, that is clear in the qur'an. However, the other nomads have candidly established good points that make a lot of sense.

This is by far the most interesting topic I have read.