Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The Day After The Conference Before...

North,

I am with Siilaanyo on this issue. He took a risk, and he deserves our support in confronting twenty-year entrenched political positions in his region.

STOIC   

Liban, that comment was in referance to comparison of SL news site. I know the limit of hadhwanaag when it comes to general issues about Somalia.You got a quote from another thread without clarifying what I was talking about..........................................................................................PS nimaankaan SSC weydhabadiikteen(sp?)

AYOUB   

If you are a Somali from south Somalia, today should be regarded as a very good day for you and the future of your land (in fact, it is a good day for the entire horn). There is light at the end of the tunnel and though incompetent Sharif is the one holding the torch, the mechanics of post transition Somalia may mean that the next government might not have him as its head.

It’s good news that Puntland, Ahlu El Sunta and the others have all decided to toe the line and follow this road map. It is also good news that whatever disputes, arguments or fallouts these groups will have from now on will be supervised and smoothed over by the rest of the world. In addition, and because such a large number of groups have agreed to unite and work towards a peaceful Somalia, we are unlikely to have a repeat of the Abdullahi Yusuf scenario of rejecting outside troops or making “treason” accusations. This time they’re all either patriots or sell-outs.

The above should really be the focus of most southern Somalis. However, some unionist may find that they are left in limbo here and therefore SL and its role, position and stance in regards to all of this must also be mentioned.

Well, when SL agreed to go to this meeting it demanded that it is viewed as different to the other Somali groups attending. The Brits, with an amazing show of diplomatic resourcefulness agreed to the demand and pulled off a very clever stunt in sitting the SL president apart from the rest, in inviting him to separate meetings with its officials and in the wording of the speeches and literature of the conference. They also allowed the SL president to give a speech in which he himself showed his own diplomatic suppleness and skill where he extended an olive branch to Somalia, offered to help it in its hour of need and told the westerners that nobody can feel its pain like the people of SL could. All along, he also reiterated the autonomous position of SL, its democratic credentials and its desire for international recognition.

The final communiqué of the conference kept everyone happy again in its beautiful choice of words and non committal statement. I mean, who (on either side) can bristle at words that invite dialogue between Somalia and Somaliland to clarify their future positions? Those from Somalia are happy because SL has not been recognised and those from SL are happy because SL has not been hoodwinked. The only clear point that was made was the distinction between Somalia & Somaliland at this point in time.

Alas, the only groups that might not feel comfortable with the conference or any of its resolutions are those that support a Maakhir, Khaatumo or Awdal state. Where does all of this leave them? Does it not mean that (for the Khaatumo group at least) they are back to the dilemma of being either part of PL or part of SL? Or will they join the roadmap (have they?) in their own right. But will PL allow it? Will the TFG help out? Will those that agreed the London Conference accept any additions? Some serious questions are to be answered in that front.

Nicely put.

Just to add, the so-called "road map" seems to be very unpopular with a significant chunk of southerners.

Taleexi   

STOIC;794344 wrote:
Talexii, haa niin yahoow........sortaa like thorny to my taste.I was recently reading an editorial contribution where the writer took a trip to Djibouti.He was showering praises on a dictator.I. Think it is whoever the editorial is sleeping with that matters to them and not journalistic integrity

Waa yahay Hadhwanaag is a partial web portal that honors the ethics of journalism.

Mario B   

ElPunto;794337 wrote:
Carafaat - It depends on your perspective. Somaliland official policy and many in that entity wish to secede in any way possible without talking to any other Somali entity. That door has been closed. The reality is that many Somalilanders don't see themselves as part of Somalia. They go to pains to disassociate themselves internally and externally. It's not surprising then that a development which attempts to strengthen and reconstitute the rest of Somalia may be seen as negative in the quest for international recognition for Somaliland based on the chaos in the south.

You got finger on the pulse there, Old Boy!!

Mario B   

^^

Mario B;794277 wrote:
Somaliland may have not been coerced into going back into the Union but, in all other fronts, the signs look very promising.
-Ngonge

Somaliland never left the UNION, what it did though was create a safe enclave inside Somalia and called it the "Republic of SLand". While the world acknowledgement the peace part, they ignored the "sovereignty" claim.
:D

Now this gets interesting, the British position used to be that any recognition had to come from Africa Union, now they have made it even more difficult for the Slanders, they now have to get it from Mogadishu i.e TFG or New Interim Government. :cool:

Mario B   

burahadeer;794582 wrote:
and who cares mogadishu? recognition or not.What if they don't get recognition & neva come back?

Who cares about Mogadishu? Listen Freedom, it seem you don't know which side of one's bread is buttered? :D

NGONGE   

^^ I went to th eone they did when he won the elections. Couldn't handle the noise and the number of annoying women filling over the place (I realised that I actually hate women now :D). So, no, I didn't go.