Sign in to follow this  
Duufaan

London Conference On Somalia Concludes Without A Word From Somaliland

STOIC   

Xiin, in all fairness there is nothing i can go by to evaluate his performance.He was NOT a speaker during the conference.I don't know what was said behind closed doors, but if we go by the final communique he didn't sign anything damaging the aspiration of Somalilanders. He will go down in SL history as the new architect for the new edifice of participating in Somalia conference( if Somaliland convinces the rest of the world that Somalia and Somaliland can not forge a peaceful transition to one unified country.)His bold move has rang warning bells from opposition and luckily he didn't sign anything that was going to spark a backlash of resentment. The issue of Somaliland is NOT an easy one.We can trace such sentiment to the aspiration of a whole generation brought up in SL sovereignty.I will be lying if I say things will look rosy and people in their element will rise above the conflict and confusion of Somalia/Somaliland issue, but we can be hopeful that both parties will raise above their inherent limitations and sit down together and solve their issues.I support Somaliland today because i see the beauty of what they have achieved and only when the south can promise a responsible guardianship of their peace and prosperity will i change my stand....

PS: You are asking a sijui for an opinion..Wait now for the guru and crew take on this issue...haha

STOIC   

Malika, I think i was as clear and honest with my opinion as one could without hiding behind any slogan.Now my opinions may vary from many hardcore Somalilanders..I credit my skills of avoiding conflict and forging compromise to my sujuiness...

STOIC;793859 wrote:
Xiin, in all fairness there is nothing i can go by to evaluate his performance.He was NOT a speaker during the conference.I don't know what was said behind closed doors, but if we go by the final communique he didn't sign anything damaging the aspiration of Somalilanders. He will go down in SL history as the new architect for the new edifice of participating in Somalia conference( if Somaliland convinces the rest of the world that Somalia and Somaliland can not forge a peaceful transition to one unified country.)His bold move has rang warning bells from opposition and luckily he didn't sign anything that was going to spark a backlash of resentment. The issue of Somaliland is NOT an easy one.We can trace such sentiment to the aspiration of a whole generation brought up in SL sovereignty.I will be lying if I say things will look rosy and people in their element will rise above the conflict and confusion of Somalia/Somaliland issue, but we can be hopeful that both parties will raise above their inherent limitations and sit down together and solve their issues.I support Somaliland today because i see the beauty of what they have achieved and only when the south can promise a responsible guardianship of their peace and prosperity will i change my stand....

PS: You are asking a sijui for an opinion..Wait now for the guru and crew take on this issue...haha

^^Very genuine response . Unfortunately your sijui response is the only response we can get for now.

The guru has quit this site as he cannot bear the embarrassment of his little enclave not being acknowledged and not given a platform to explain thier nice little democracies and peace making experience (conveniently forgetting that Buuhoodle is burning..).

Jacaylbaro is too deep in Somaliland politics to ever contribute meaningfully in this forum.

ngonge is a very clever man, but he has been angry lately and Siilaanyo's trip to London i doubt will give him new strength to speak truth to the reality before him .

xaaji xunjuf is an extension of Jacaylbaro, Suldan is good at empty bravado, and Ayyoub has been absent for a while and has a very limited input in SL opinion making.

The scripts are many , but non is as articulate as my favorite script hermet. however , scripts dont opine. they have other functions to serve and fullfil.

^^North, Blessed, and Ibti are not crazy about Somaliland's separation.

Aan danbaabe, inay isku reer yihiina waan u malaynayaa :D, but I love them

So after all the posturing and tough talk. Somaliland was forced to as Xiin rightly stated play by the new rules.

Again the average person in the NW of Somalia will benefit being a Citizen of a resurgent Somalia.

The Sage   

Carafaat;793803 wrote:
Nonsense article. Siilanyo spoke in the closed part of the meeting. Only some leaders sproke during the public opening speech.

He did speak in the closed meeting and I'm actually glad he didn't speak in the public portion of the conference. As a separate nation, Somaliland should always remain above the chaotic fray of Somalia.

Somaliland was given hundreds of millions of dollars worth of additional and separate aid, circumvented the TFG by signing an international agreement with the Seychelles on piracy and was given a private audience with the David Cameron and the FM William Hague. Seems like it accomplished its goal of asserting it's sovereignty while also increasing its engagement with the international community, Well played.

That argument holds no water. Djibouti, Ethiopia and other nations spoke, Somaliland did not speak like Puntland and Galmudug. Remember you were all claiming that this was an opportunity for Siilanyu to speak on behalf of secessionist agenda.

Aaliyyah   

xiinfaniin;793823 wrote:
Duufaan,

I happen to believe SL leaders know the new rules very well. they just need to digest it and sell it to their constituencies back home in a manner that does not harm their relative stability.

Xiin, I do believe it will be traumatizing though. Siilanyo the Silent has clarified to both Somalia and to the world the so-called Somaliland position in the international arena. Which is good for rest of us this feeble fantasy could finally come to an end. I mean really reer Waqooyi galbeed people always wanted the chance to speak in front of a large dignitary. Well, it just so happened that he got the chance today and Siilanyo the Silent was very eloquent about the legitimacy of Somliland seeking a far fetched recognition for his one-clan state. LOL

Originally posted by Stoic,

This was an opposition leaning website.It is a good process of democracy to disagree with the ruling administration. Something Somalia can learn from Somaliland, perhaps?

So-called Somaliland is not a democratic and doesn't accept challenges to their collective ideology. The moment Waqooyi Galbeed independence-seeking citizens sense a slight change in behavior from Silaanyo on his return back to Hargeisa they will gradually attempt to create a fury to expel him like Buuba and your very Boqor. The London Conference did not throw a good light on your President. Since,fortunately, Silanyo the Silent could not speak much less sell your ideology to the very rational dignitaries in the real world. However, you and your folks should go back to history and remember the crimes he committed against your clan let alone the other Somalis from other regions. He was the backbone of the SNM and believes he waited 20 years for presidency. Which he won through electoral fraud. It will be easier for him to forget about the idea of a Somliland as a country if the British offer him a personally advantageous bargain. He will be your Premier and as a autocratic man with a military background it will not be easy to get rid of him.

Originally posted by Stoic, I support Somaliland today because i see the beauty of what they have achieved and only when the south can promise a responsible guardianship of their peace and prosperity will i change my stand....

What did they achieve? apart from the peace in their three cities. If anything so called Somaliland's destruction of the neighboring regions will make it clear to the world the reality of their inability to function peacefully with their neighbors.

Is a promise of equal peace and prosperity one way? You have the audacity to bargain for peace for your clan, while ignoring the acts of crime done by your very same clan. Well I suggest since you are presumably willing to be a true Somali that you address your clan's acts of crime done in the name of nothingness.

Wooqyi Galbeed province, not Somaliland, has a future in Somalia's politics and what not. The faster the acceptance the faster the recovery.

Guys the conference was not about Somaliland it was about Somalia Somaliland was only mentioned twice once talking about piracy because we have pirate prisons in Somaliland. And they mentioned that Somaliland and Somalia need to talk about their future relations.Thats it the conference was about shabaab humanitarianassistance the transitional period ending and fightin alqaeda and ofcourse the AMISOM.

The Sage   

General Duke;793919 wrote:
That argument holds no water. Djibouti, Ethiopia and other nations spoke, Somaliland did not speak like Puntland and Galmudug. Remember you were all claiming that this was an opportunity for Siilanyu to speak on behalf of secessionist agenda.

Somaliland came to the conference to advance their interests and that's exactly what Silanyo did,

• President Silanyo had the opportunity to place on record before world leaders the desire of the Somaliland people to be recognized as an independent state. He called for “an international discussion about the future of Somaliland, launching a process leading to recognition of our state”, adding that “we are convinced that an internationally recognized Somaliland will be even better placed to contribute to a stable and peaceful Somalia.”

• The Somaliland President and Foreign Minister Omar had the opportunity to have bilateral meetings in the margins with the Foreign Ministers of Turkey, Denmark, Netherlands and Switzerland. Dr Omar also met US Assistant Secretary of State for Africa, Johnnie Carson.

• At a ceremony on 22 February, President Silanyo launched the Somaliland Development Corporation which will help attract foreign direct investment to Somaliland.

If that's putting forward an agenda than I don't know what is.

I remember clearly Cameron mentioning that " this is the first time that all the Presidents of Somalia regions are in attendance". That was telling and you can review the video of the PM opening remarks.