Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

African Leaders Thread

Malika   

^You were a cute kid dee, perfect accessory for a picture with the presidents..loool

One thing for sure, Nyerere's policy on zero tolerance on tribalism will forever be admired - despite turning the clock of development back in Tanzania, what he did was secure its sense of nationalism. For that he is one of my favourite people - Mwalimu was indeed a teacher, eloquent and fearless...

Paragon   

Archdemos;793414 wrote:
mid-julius-nyerere-tanzania.jpg

Julius Nyerere (Mwalimu) 13 April 1922 – 14 October 1999

The Great African Teacher. I salute this letter and dedicate the song below to the legacy he left behind. Not least for translating Romeo and Julliet into Swahili, which is a great literary feet in its own right.

http://youtu.be/tfDTRyz06kg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Malika;793818 wrote:
^You were a cute kid dee, perfect accessory for a picture with the presidents..loool

One thing for sure, Nyerere's policy on zero tolerance on tribalism will forever be admired - despite turning the clock of development back in Tanzania, what he did was secure its sense of nationalism. For that he is one of my favourite people - Mwalimu was indeed a teacher, eloquent and fearless...

Totally agree Malika, remarkable achievements because on paper TZ shouldn't work. Somalis can learn a lot from their experience of building a state based on a shared identity.

Carafaat   

Archdemos;793749 wrote:
Indeed! My claim to fame is I've had the privilege of meeting him and Mwinyi in my childhood
:)

Archdemos, are you sijui? I visited Tanzania years for a research project. Met many friendly and nice Somali's from Tanga, dodoma, Mwanza and Dar es Salaam. Even met Somali's in Zanzibar. Incredible country and folks those Tanzanians, we can learn so much from them.

301208%20joseph%20kony%20verzetsleger%20

Ugandan rebel who led the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), a militia that terrorized northern Uganda in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

Kony was reared in the village of Odek in northern Uganda. An ethnic Acholi, he served as an altar boy during his youth and was fond of dancing. He left school to become a traditional healer. When Yoweri Museveni seized power in Uganda in 1986 and became president, some Acholis revolted. A relative of Kony's, spirit medium Alice Lakwena, led a rebel group called the Holy Spirit Movement, which was quashed by government troops as it advanced on Kampala, the capital. Kony joined another faction and in 1987 proclaimed himself a prophet for the Acholi people and took charge of the Holy Spirit Movement, which would eventually become the LRA. In its early years the LRA enjoyed support in northern Uganda, but as its resources diminished, the militia began to plunder the local population. The movement gained considerable strength in 1994 when it received the backing of the government of The Sudan, which sought to retaliate against Kampala for its support of Sudanese rebels.

Kony, armed with prophecies that he said he received from spirits who came to him in dreams, ordered the LRA to attack villages, murdering, raping, and mutilating in a campaign of intimidation that displaced some two million people. Children were abducted and brainwashed into becoming soldiers and slaves. Kony convinced them that holy water made them bulletproof. Children who resisted or tried to escape were beaten to death by their peers. Kony was reported to have taken as many as 50 of his female captives as “wives.” By 1996 the government began setting up secure camps. Children living in villages in northern Uganda became known as “night commuters,” walking miles every evening to the relative safety of the camps or towns in hopes of avoiding abduction. Kony's aim for the LRA was never particularly specific beyond the ouster of Museveni and the establishment of a new government based on the Ten Commandments.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) issued a warrant for Kony's arrest, made public in October 2005, which accused him of human rights violations that included some 10,000 murders and the abduction and enslavement of more than 24,000 children. The action brought Kony and the LRA under international scrutiny, and Sudanese support for the rebels was soon withdrawn. This led Kony to make his first peace offering in May 2006 (his first public appearance in 12 years), but negotiations dragged. Ironically, the ICC warrant proved to complicate the situation, because the prospect of arrest made Kony less likely to come out of hiding. The Ugandan government sought to have the warrant suspended, but such a move was seen as potentially damaging to the integrity of the nascent court. Two years of verbal wrangling led to a peace agreement that was finalized in April 2008, but Kony refused to appear at a series of scheduled meetings to sign the document. In November 2008, Uganda's neighbours, increasingly the targets of LRA violence, warned Kony that failure to sign the document would result in a joint military offensive against the LRA.

Carafaat   

kony????

I demand you potray only exemplonary African leaders. Dont let this become the wall of famous despotes and dictators.

Kony is certainly an African and a leader of a cult. he therefore qualifies under the rules of this thread. arafat, please dont bring that western hyperbole of democracy and human rights mantra to my thread. do you remember in the mid to late 1990s of all the talk and buzzwords of 'new generation' and 'new breed' of african leaders. Museveni, Kagame , Zenawi Afewerki are now all discredited leaders. its pseudo-political brovs.

Carafaat   

Nin Yaaban, according to Alpha we have been indoctrinated by westerners and therefore we have a low self esteem, low self value and therefor we dont value ourselves, culture, customs, economic resources, social model high enough. and westerners profit from this low value economic power house by potraying us ignorent, poor, helpless, etc. am I right Alpha. :D