Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

What if Somaliland does unify with Somalia

Carafaat   

The following piece is part of our continuous coverage on the upcoming conference on Somalia in the British capital. Our policy of encouraging free and open discussion of the issues or presentations of all facts and opinions is always open to all regardless of view/political affiliation or beliefs.

OPINION | JANUARY 26, 2012

By Ali Dhimbil “Burao”

In politics anything could happen, I think already pressure is mounting on Somaliland these days regarding how to unify the whole country as one entity. Considering a major conference is going to take place in London, on mid February. Both Europe and the United States are sending high level delegations to Hargeisa, in order to persuade Somaliland to join the talks in a more positive manner, instead of being politically-isolated. So, I think anything could happen, and there may be possibilities that Somaliland may join Somalia after all. When we analyze the whole situation I think the agenda coming from Europe, the US and the UN is as follows:

1. They want to see a unified government in Somalia where both Somalia and Somaliland will have a fair share of a newly-formed central government.

2. Possibly Somaliland will be given the lead role to form the new government, in order to make them happy.

3. They might propose a new constitution which will pave the way for Somaliland to go its own separate way should it be displeased with the union, provided they should go through referendum.

4. Possibly within ten-to-twenty years time-frame, if the marriage of Somalia and Somaliland doesn’t work out, Somaliland will have the option of leaving the union.

5. The international community would provide billions of loans and grants to rebuild the new unified government, which hopefully will create a viable new state which will benefit all Somalis concerned.

5. Terrorist elements like Al Shabab and maritime pirates should be eradicated by the new unified government with the help of international community as soon as possible.

I think these will be the main options that are already presented to both Somalia and Somaliland government. Already Somaliland government is discussing this scenario. Personally speaking, if these are what international government presenting to the Somaliland, I don’t really see it negative after all, rather may we should take, and give it a chance for a lasting peace in Somalia and Somaliland. After all, there’s no need to be so rigid about Somaliland, if you have a better deal.

Ali Dhimbil

ali.dh@hotmail.co.uk

Taleexi   

Why would one treat them as a privileged group? .... Let our brothers come to the discussion table like anyone else. No more, no less.

Taleexi;782442 wrote:
Why would one treat them as a privileged group? .... Let our brothers come to the discussion table like anyone else. No more, no less.

Who said they want to unite with Somalia?

Somaliland will never ever be ruled by others they know the world knows it

Taleexi   

Xaaji Xunjuf;782446 wrote:
Who said they want to unite with Somalia?

Somaliland will never ever be ruled by others they know the world knows it

Xaaji weli maad qaxwayn baan u malaynayaa... Waa ku maqlayaa ee hadalka tartiib iigu sheeg :)

Carafaat   

MoonLight1;782458 wrote:
Carafaat for Somaliweyn presidency 2012. you could be the uniting figure sxb.

Somalina, is the candidate. I am available as her advisor.

I don't mind a NW become Preisdent of Somalia. The secessionists need at least a couple of years to start loving the blue flag, celebrate 1st of July an accept Mogadishu as the capital.

^^:D :D

I share that sentiment. Our opostion is agianst dismemberment, not against Hargeysa. And we see the wisdom of giving some carrots to win some hearts.

Taleexi   

General Duke;782481 wrote:
I don't mind a NW become Preisdent of Somalia. The secessionists need at least a couple of years to start loving the blue flag, celebrate 1st of July an accept Mogadishu as the capital.

Aniga iyo General-ku maanta isku doc baan ka cabaynaa ceelka. I concur.

The old story of Somaliland being the glue that holds Somalia together...

...... If only our brothers in Somalia would first learn to love each other and stop killing each other, then maybe they could be taken at face value in their love of 'Somalinimo' (and the need for dialogue on future relations/association).

Until then, 'xuduuda ayaa la soo xidhayaa'. Coming to a village near you soon....

By the way, do any of you even know that Buhodle sits directly on the border and that parts of the town are actually in Ethiopia proper? Mise qolooyinkii aan ka hadlayey baad tihiin - From Xamar straight to Qurbaha...?