Sign in to follow this  
Positive

Somaliland in a historic cross-road.

Positive   

Somaliland is in a cross-road now and the implications are huge for itself, the South ( Somalia ) and for the whole region. It should not be taken lightly for a lot is at stake here. I’m referring to the meeting about Somalia in London.

The meeting in London on the 23rd. February could be a historic opportunity for peace for Somalia; more so for Somaliland which has enjoyed relative peace compared to the rest of Somalia. A point in contention here is that Somaliland, as it has done before, has always the opportunity to explore every avenue which can bring peace to the wider region and to itself because, as it were, it is not an isolated pool from an ocean; whatever is affecting the region, specially Somalia ( South ), will affect it. Hence a problem in Somalia ( note: Somalia/South as interchangeable here) is also a Somaliland problem.

If we accept the ocean as a metaphor for the Somali speaking people then we could conclude that the right path for Somaliland to take is to attend the London meeting! It is not a sacrifice it has to make but a necessity for its survival and the survival of all Somalis wherever they are!

Somalis are known though to make missteps when they are in historic junctures of transition. Examples of fatal choices they had made are:

1. After the second world war Great Britain, the same nation that is calling now for this meeting, tried to unite the Somali speaking people under one state. That dream evaporated after the Italian Protectorate Somaliland opted for Italian trusteeship of ten years. Consequently Somalis continued to stay divided into five parts because of that simple but lethal choice.

2. The last Somali regime before its collapse in 1991 in a lack of foresight held on to the power specially after the war in Soomaali-Galbeed was lost in 1978. This eventually brought it down but in addition ushered in a time of great tribulation and hardship for the Somali people. If only the military went to their barracks and free elections were held! But that was not done the consequence has to be reaped by all somalis.

3. When the Ethiopians left the country in 2009 the then insurgent groups against the Ethiopians became fragmented (TFG, Xisbul Islam, AS) and chose to fight on between themselves; each group has been trying to usurp the national power without the consent of the other groups but neither have they been seeking the consent of the real owners of the land, the Somali people. If only they would came together, hammered an agreement and sought the consent of their people! That was another Somali misstep in a historic turning point for the nation!

Staying away from the meeting in London by Somaliland has the potential to become the mother of all Somali blunders that the above fatal missteps may become dwarfed in comparison. In brief this is not a sane option to take for obvious reasons!

Conclusion.

I wish to say to Somaliland: show courage and resolve in this momentous time in the history of the Somali people by going to the meeting with mental frame and an agenda for peace. Do not walk away or deceive your strategic friend now. Clearly state your position in front of everyone in the meeting in London without deceit in mind. Do not forget that compassion and kindness are virtues and you have an opportunity to practice it now. Remember the living condition of your kin and kind, the Somali people in the South, who have been suffering for so long will be impacted by the decisions you make. Ask your self: What will bring sustainable peace for the whole region?

My above conclusions are addressed also to other delegates to the meeting. My conclusion are from loving heart and I wish peace and blessing for everyone.

The Awakener2

NASSIR   

When the Ethiopians left the country in 2009 the then insurgent groups against the Ethiopians became fragmented (TFG, Xisbul Islam, AS) and chose to fight on between themselves; each group has been trying to usurp the national power without the consent of the other groups but neither have they been seeking the consent of the real owners of the land, the Somali people.

Well said & welcome back!

Positive   

Thanks Nassir,

One more thought I would share with everyone in this section is that a primary reason as to why Somalis could not reconstitute their Nation-State is the clan mentality which has lately become social preference for many of us. Even the “educated” are falling for it in this otherwise trying times- to my amazement.

I’m disgusted when I read in these pages venomous expressions of clan rivalries directly fed to malleable minds of our youth. I’m sorry to confess it but I’m disappointed by our collective lack of vision and foresight even in this boards. What are the other clans? Are they ALIENS from other Planets? aren’t they your kin and kind who share common destiny with you?

If we cannot stop to express hatred in this board we could at least moderate it!

Intaas talo waafi ah dheh!

The Awakener2

I agree they are in a historic cross roads .

Positive's generous words are much better than my previous metaphor of Somaliland as a dizzied bird that does not know which branch to land on, resulting in unnecessary humming and suspension in the air with predictable, tragic outcome if sustained longer.

Qaranki   

Positive;779192 wrote:

1. After the second world war Great Britain, the same nation that is calling now for this meeting, tried to unite the Somali speaking people under one state. That dream evaporated after the Italian Protectorate Somaliland opted for Italian trusteeship of ten years. Consequently Somalis continued to stay divided into five parts because of that simple but lethal choice.

Positive;779192 wrote:
Staying away from the meeting in London by Somaliland has the potential to become the mother of all Somali blunders that the above fatal missteps may become dwarfed in comparison. In brief this is not a sane option to take for obvious reasons!

I don't see how failing to show up to a meeting on piracy and terrorism matches with opting to remain under colonialism instead of uniting the five historical regions.

Positive   

Thanks Xiin yours were considerate words.

We are not only discussing but we are in fact seeding thoughts to readers, among them probable juveniles! In my view it demands responsibility from the contributor.

Qaranki

The point here is to try to alleviate the suffering of the Somalis in the South; I subscribe to the idea that Somaliland could contribute much more than it is doing now. Mine is just a call to that endeavor.

Oodka

Xinn has confessed that he could do better. I understand that you prefer to answer in kind but for the sake of the wider audience I request you to make better choice of the words and thoughts you wish to share. After all your words have seeding effect.

The Awakener2

Carafaat   

Positive, thank you for the wise words. Couldn't have said it better. And God knows how I have tried to convince my brothers we have a historic momentum. And the choice today is quite simple, do we look back and remain in the vicious circle of the same or do we look forward and try to create a new future for our people.