Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Mohamud Nor District 59, State Senate race: lets make HISTORY- December 6th 2011

noorforsenate.gif

Mohamoud Noor, the unlikely candidate campaign picked up a great deal of traction lately. He has the major endorsement of the Minnesota Association of Professional Employees (MAPE) and the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers as well as the Minnesota Daily newspaper.

District 59 also has the largest concentration of new immigrant (Somali) population anywhere in the state.

This hardworking, educated and humble family man can make a difference and help turn things around for the State of Minnesota.

So one and all lets work hard over the next few days to get brother Mohamud Nor elected to the Senate of the great state of Minnesota.

The special election will take place on Tuesday, December the 6th 2011...

ITS SIMPLE.....

Vote Dec 6th between 7AM-8PM

Noor for Senate District 59

Mohamud Noor will bring a fresh perspective to the state Legislature.

Printer-friendly version By Daily Editorial Board 2011 / 12 / 01

From the state shutdown last summer to the federal debt ceiling debacle and failure of the congressional “supercommittee” to agree on a deficit reduction plan, there are many examples that show our political system is broken. At the same time, the United States, Minnesota and Minneapolis are all becoming more diverse. These two facts mean we need fresh faces with new perspectives to represent us. That is why the Minnesota Daily Editorial Board endorses Mohamud Noor for State Senate District 59. The DFL primary vote will take place next Tuesday, Dec. 6, and the general election will occur Jan. 10. The DFL primary is crucial, since District 59 voted for the DFL candidate by a margin of 78-22 percent in the last general election in 2010.

Mohamud Noor is the candidate of change in this election. His ideas, experiences and character will combine to bring a new perspective to the Minnesota State Legislature.

As a black immigrant, Noor brings a significantly more diverse range of experiences to the state Legislature than the typical Minnesota politician. Right now, only six of the 201 total seats in the state Legislature are held by self-reported minorities, only three of which are in the state Senate. It’s time for that to change.

Noor’s experiences — and his knowledge of several languages — can help him interact with and represent more easily a much greater part of his constituency than any other candidate. And being black and an immigrant means there is no doubt he will stand up for the interests of the underrepresented.

An argument critics of Noor might make is that he has little experience in the political system. In this political environment, we consider that an advantage. While Noor might not be familiar with the inner workings and mechanisms of the state Legislature, he is also not a part of the current political power system. He comes in with none of the personal loyalties that other candidates might have, and his new perspective makes him capable of thinking outside the current political processes and ignoring conventional wisdom.

At the recent Daily candidate forum, other DFL candidates blasted “Tea Party Republicans” and said that voting Republicans out of office would be the best way to get their policies passed. This is an unconstructive attitude and the wrong one to take. It places too much importance on politics and not enough on governance. Even if the DFL had the majority in the state Legislature, its members would still have to negotiate with Republicans. Noor avoided this kind of talk and seemed more willing and more likely to avoid the poisonous rhetoric of demonizing opponents that hamstrings one’s ability to compromise and negotiate.

While Noor is a great match for his district, he also has a broad enough view to understand that his work at the state Senate will affect all of Minnesota. His push for competitive bidding for public employee health insurance plans and expanding broadband connectivity in the state show that his interests are not narrow and he will not focus only on provincial projects for District 59.

Noor also has policies that will specifically benefit students. Besides having firsthand experience with the education and higher education systems of Minnesota, he wants to be continually engaged with students on our campus. Noor will work with a student liaison and has promised to hold a quarterly forum on campus, in addition to his office having an “open door” policy for students.

We believe that Noor will represent students at least as well, if not better, than all the other candidates. He will also bring a far different and much broader perspective to the Legislature.

This election is about old ways of thinking versus new ones. Noor is District 59’s best hope for real change.

Minneapolis' teachers union endorses Noor in state Senate election

Posted by: Corey Mitchell under People and neighborhoods, Politics and government Updated: November 22, 2011 - 12:08 PM 0 comments print share

The Minneapolis Federation of Teachers has endorsed Mohamud Noor as a replacement for state Sen. Larry Pogemiller.

Noor is among seven candidates vying to replace Pogemiller in Senate District 59, representing northeast Minneapolis. A DFL primary is Dec. 6 and the general election is Jan. 10. Pogemiller resigned this fall to accept an appointment as Director of Office of Higher Education.

Others candidates who have filed for the seat are: DFLers Kari Dziedzic, Jacob Frey, Alicia Frosch, Paul Ostrow and Peter Wagenius, and Republican Ben Schwanke.

Noor has children who attend Minneapolis Public Schools and his wife, a member of the union, works as an educational aide in the district.

"He will work collaboratively to help close the achievement gap in our schools," teachers union president Lynn Nordgren said in a news release. " ... Mohamud understands that parents, teachers and elected leaders all must come together to address [the] achievement gap and promote educational success for all students."

The teachers union is an affiliate of Education Minnesota, which represents over 70,000 educators statewide.

My name is Mohamud Noor and I am running for State Senate.

November 3rd, 2011

I am running because I believe everyone deserves access to employment at a living wage, affordable health care, and high-quality education regardless of their ethnic background or economic status. I believe that all children deserve the opportunity to reach their full potential. I also believe that the rich need to pay their fair share.

I immigrated to Minneapolis twelve years ago and worked my way through college and into a rewarding career as an IT professional. Today I live in Northeast Minneapolis with my wife Farhiya Del, and our three beautiful children.

A serious opportunity gap has developed in our society, with some doing quite well and many others falling behind. I am committed to overcoming the divisive politics that is widening this gap even further, while giving the rich a free ride.

Together we can overcome all the odds. I am running to bring determined leadership to the Senate. My first-hand understanding of the issues faced by the under-represented communities will bring a seldom heard voice to St Paul.

I hope to get to know you as this campaign progresses. I ask for your support. I ask for your ideas. I ask for your vote.

Vote for Mohamud Noor

Come and vote for Mohamud Noor. Please vote for Mohamud Noor, if you live in Northeast Minneapolis, Southeast Minneapolis, Cedar Riverside and Seward Neighborhood.

This is going to be a history and you will be a part of this. If Mohamud Noor wins the upcoming election, he will be the first Somali-American State Senator in The United States.

Vote Dec 6th between 7AM-8PM

^^^He ran last year for a school board different district with few Somali's and came second.. His first ever election. This time though he has a chance and made inroads with the wider communtiy. The Unions are loving him and tonight he picked up another endorsment, I was there helping and it was a great moment.

So everyone, just vote, get your loved ones to vote. Its an opportunity for all of us and specially our children...

Kool_Kat   

A_Khadar;762662 wrote:
Did he run school board or something like that few elections ago..
I went same Univ he went...
Good luck to him..

And what do you have show for it?

I kid, I kid! Walahi I couldn't let that one slide, adaa goalkaaga ka dhaqaaqay nooh...hahahahaaaa

Good luck to the brother...I hope Somalis in MN are different than those in Ontario, where voting is at the very bottom of our to do list, if even on the list!

Kool_Kat;762816 wrote:
And what do you have show for it?

I kid, I kid! Walahi I couldn't let that one slide, adaa goalkaaga ka dhaqaaqay nooh...hahahahaaaa

Good luck to the brother...
I hope Somalis in MN are different than those in Ontario, where voting is at the very bottom of our to do list, if even on the list
!

You gotta be a citizen first. I kid, I kid. :)

RaMpAgE   

Inshallah he will fail miserably, a man who supports homosexuality for political gain with the prophets name, is a disgrace.

Mohamud Noor will win a landslide and will make history inshaAllah. He is a religious man a family man who has three beautiful Muslim children. Those who have self hate and who will always defeat our interest will always confuse issues.

Again vote Somali's and show what u are about.

It's our time to take over our neighborhood Cedar Riverside and the Westbank.

TakeAction endorses Noor and Allen in special DFL legislative primaries

By Joe Kimball | Published Fri, Dec 2 2011 2:40 pm

Liberal political action group TakeAction Minnesota has endorsed candidates in two legislative races that hold DFL primaries Tuesday:

In Senate District 59, they voted to support Mohamud Noor, who, if elected would be the state's first Somali-American legislator. Also running in the DFL primary in that race are: Kari Dziedzic, Jacob Frey, Paul Ostrow and Peter Wagenius.

In House District 61B, the group endorsed Susan Allen, who would be the first American Indian woman in the Legislature, if she wins. She also has the DFL party endorsement.

Said Dan McGrath, TakeAction Minnesota’s executive director:

“Noor and Allen are exactly the kind of leaders we need to help guide our state as it continues to diversify and works to overcome some really significant economic and racial disparities.”