Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Brabrand

Somalis consider lawsuit against playland

Blanket ban amounts to discrimination, members of Somali community say

Somalis in the Aarhus area are considering filing a lawsuit against the owner of an indoor playground in Brabrand, a suburb of Aarhus, after Legeland owner Thomas Vestergaard banned Somalis from the playground.

“Somali associations are shocked at the Aarhus playground Legeland’s decision to exclude law-abiding Danish citizens of Somali origin from patronising their business,” said the group AarhuSomali in an official statement.

After meeting with another Somali group, the Somali Society of Denmark, on Saturday, Vestergaard rescinded his ban, which would have turned Somalis away for the next six months.

The ban ultimately lasted for only one day.

Vestergaard had decided to ban all Somalis after he said a gathering of 900 Somalis celebrating an Islamic holiday became so rambunctious that it scared away other guests.

Human rights experts called the ban illegal.

“This clearly violates racism laws, which say you can’t discriminate based on nationality or skin color, and that’s the case here,” Jonas Christoffersen, a lawyer and the director of the Institut for Mennseskerettigheder, told Jyllands-Posten newspaper.

Vestgaard rescinded that ban after he said the Somalis accepted that “they needed to treat our property with respect”.

“They are welcome again,” he told Aarhus Stiftstidende newspaper

Abdirashiid Sheikh, who heads the Somali Society of Denmark, expressed relief that Vestergaard had rescinded the ban. He considered the case closed.

“We can definitely understand that he needs to take care of his business,” said Sheikh. “We will tell the Somali community that people need to behave properly. We have agreed with Thomas Vestergaard that he should call us if there is anything that our organisation can help him with.”

But Somalis in the Aarhus area are not satisfied.

“AarhuSomali has discussed whether this case should have consequences for Legeland’s owner. In the coming days, we will consult our legal advisors about the next steps.”

Xigasho

I have been and stayed xaafadda Brabrand ee magaalada Aarhus, meel fiican u ekeyd. Waxee iskugu imaadaan Soomaalida suuq dadan Turkish iyo Hindi leedahay la dhaho Basaar. Basaarkaas waa meeshaa ku arkay si kadis ah Maryan Mursal oo iska qaxweyneyso meel iska fadhiso.

About qoraalka, haddii run loo hadlo Soomaalida qaarkood si xun u isticmaalaan meelaha dadweynaha ka dhaxeeyo. Badownimo iyo nadaafaddarro inay ka tahay midkood ma'ogi, laakiin they have that maxaa iga galay attitude. Nadaafadda iyo dadka xishmeynta wey fiicantahay, diintana wey na fareysaa ee in taas la ogaado had iyo jeer wey fiicantahay. Dadka kale la xishmeeyo, buuq iyo qeyladana la yareeyo.

Alderman   

Vestergaard had decided to ban all Somalis after he said a gathering of 900 Somalis celebrating an Islamic holiday became so rambunctious that it scared away other guests.

Vestgaard rescinded that ban after he said the Somalis accepted that “they needed to treat our property with respect”.

Am I the only one finding this funny?

Jacpher   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;759727 wrote:
About qoraalka, haddii run loo hadlo Soomaalida qaarkood si xun u isticmaalaan meelaha dadweynaha ka dhaxeeyo. Badownimo iyo nadaafaddarro inay ka tahay midkood ma'ogi, laakiin they have that maxaa iga galay attitude. Nadaafadda iyo dadka xishmeynta wey fiicantahay, diintana wey na fareysaa ee in taas la ogaado had iyo jeer wey fiicantahay. Dadka kale la xishmeeyo, buuq iyo qeyladana la yareeyo.

I'm sorry but that's just an excuse to discriminate. On this side of the Atlantic, it will be thrown out of the window. No one can be discriminated based on gender, color, or nationality. Imagine a car wash company denying service to a certain group of people for alleging some of their cars are way too dirty. I hope the Somalis will explore their legal avenues and hurt this son of bigot where it hurts the most, the wallet. If some are misbehaving, the business has every right to deny them service. But he needs to identify them individually and take whatever measures to protect his business. He has no right to lump everyone together and deny a service based on nationality. They should do business with his competitors next time.

Somalia   

Brabrand is considered a ghetto in Denmark, so imagine what the other neighbourhoods look like. :D

But I see the man's view, if you guys lived there you'd realise people are quickly turning against Somalis, Danes like peace and quiet, Somalis with an average of 5 children crash the place, I'm sorry, he is wrong but he is also right.

Jacpher;759793 wrote:
I'm sorry but that's just an excuse to discriminate. On this side of the Atlantic, it will be thrown out of the window. No one can be discriminated based on gender, color, or nationality. Imagine a car wash company denying service to a certain group of people for alleging some of their cars are way too dirty. I hope the Somalis will explore their legal avenues and hurt this son of bigot where it hurts the most, the wallet. If some are misbehaving, the business has every right to deny them service. But he needs to identify them individually and take whatever measures to protect his business. He has no right to lump everyone together and deny a service based on nationality. They should do business with his competitors next time.

Back in my cab driving days i use to hate picking up MADOW people because you were afraid they would either run out on the fare, argue or even rob you. So a lot of us cabbies decided not to stop or even pick up any Madow person for those obvious reasons. Anyways, the madow people complained and said it was racism when a Cadaan person could easily get a cab and not a madow person. So i agree with MMA, even thought its wrong to discriminate sometimes u have to look out for your best interest.

Nin-Yaaban;759841 wrote:
Back in my cab driving days i use to hate picking up MADOW people because you were afraid they would either run out on the fare, argue or even rob you. So a lot of us cabbies decided not to stop or even pick up any Madow person for those obvious reasons. Anyways, the madow people complained and said it was racism when a Cadaan person could easily get a cab and not a madow person. So i agree with MMA, even thought its wrong to discriminate sometimes u have to look out for your best interest.

This is why cabbies occupy the very top of my most hated people list uncontested, they even beat up the pigs. Few white people around, late to a place, forget about it, you might as well get a head start walking in the direction you where going. What pisses me of even more is black Africans mindlessly reinforce the racist attitudes of white cab drivers, I mean seriously you too are black why would participate in racist discrimination. In my entire life, I have not known a single black who has robbed or ran away from a cab but I do know a few whites who have "dine dashed".

As for Somalis, we are a hopeless lot, please be ambassadors to, the amount of stereotype we have to deal just because of a few retarded people is beyond belief. Treat others as if you would have them treat you and observation of basic etiquette would not hurt.

Naxar Nugaaleed;760031 wrote:
This is why cabbies occupy the very top of my most hated people list uncontested, they even beat up the pigs. Few white people around, late to a place, forget about it, you might as well get a head start walking in the direction you where going. What pisses me of even more is black Africans mindlessly reinforce the racist attitudes of white cab drivers, I mean seriously you too are black why would participate in racist discrimination. In my entire life, I have not known a single black who has robbed or ran away from a cab but I do know a few whites who have "dine dashed".

As for Somalis, we are a hopeless lot, please be ambassadors to, the amount of stereotype we have to deal just because of a few retarded people is beyond belief. Treat others as if you would have them treat you and observation of basic etiquette would not hurt.

Well go work in downtown DC or Baltimore city and tell me if you still believe what you said. I am not saying all Madow people are bad, far from it. I met some real good madow people, but in my time working around with madow people has thought me somethings.

Baashi   

Nomads especially newly arrived nomads need to brush up their manners. There is a room for improvement in that department. No doubt about that. In Seattle the last Eid I took my kids to the family fun center in Renton right after morning prayer and the reason I did that is because once my lovely nomads come to the center (around 12pm) it gets out of hand. Lovely, generous, friendly, and good all around but lil bit noisy and disrespectful.

Get this! the management and the staff of the center count on this day and cater their services to Somalis (of all Muslims in the area) because Somalis will spend money. They had free pass for all services if you buy bundle ticket -- about eighty bucks. Hopefully one day they will capitalize their purchasing power and insist on discounts.

Just read the last two post and I trust I am not out of topic.