Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Mahiga's (UN's) Somali Road Map

Nina Fox   

I dont mean to be a pathetic nay-sayer but this to me screams "Another inconclusive road-map leading to nowhere"....

Aah well! Lets see Insha Allah. Ilaahey kheyr haka dhigo.

Abtigiis   

Che,

Actually I have been consistent on one thing: the need for some sort of central authority and whoever I thought is closer to achieving that is who I supported. That said, I have never been a fan of neither Xinn's endless phantom caravans nor of Sheikh Hotel. As a matter of fact, I believe the sharif and his ilk are not capable of pulling Somalia out of the quaqmire it is in. I have more trust in people like the current PM and those with the same pedigree as his. I am disappointed with Xinn's optimism about what Mahiga and the UN will do for Somalia, as if these personalities and entities have the interest of Somalia at heart. For Mahiga, this is about career and contract, no more, no less. For the UN, Somalia is a basket case where a whole humanitarian industry is thriving on. Yet, they may have to go with the wind and it is clear that Somalia seems to have turned the corner anyway. I am ashamed of Xinn's credulous acceptance of Mahiga's recollection of past UN failures in Somalia. We all know they have always built their approach towards state buliding in Somalia on flimsy and not tested theories and models, not on a well-thoughtout ideas. Even the current approach of encouraging fiefdoms will have disasterous consequences. If Un is serious about building credible state institutions, the starting point is to consult somali intellectuals and get advice, not experiment new untested ideas on the poor people of Somalia as if they are rats in a laboratory. That is how I see it.

As to stopping stalking Xinn, who have the energy to shout after millions of caravas,without departure and destination points, that are dreamed of everyday?! Xinn is a dreamer and he has every right to dream, even at noon of an african sun.

^^:D :D

On behalf of Che, I apologize for Prof. Abtigiis. He has been consistent on his insistence on human dignity for Somalis where ever they are. He may sometimes get it wrong in his analysis, but on the big objectives he was right on the money.

However, as the voice of reason in these boards, we sometimes disagree with Prof. Abtigiis's rebellious tone. We think Somalia is down because of the failure of her leaders. That the UN got it wrong before does not mean it will always fail. The current roadmap will not please the hardcore extremists of secessionists and alshabaab type. The rest of Somalis should be hopeful where Somalia is going now.

EDIT:

Sharif selected Sharmarke, Farmaajo and Gaas. He is the president for the current PM. That is just a reminder :D

Qashinkaan maxaa saan loogu soo dhaweynaa.

mahigamareykan1.jpg

Raashiinkaan meesha lagu qasaariye Soomaali badan oo abaarta la raagtay wax u tari lahayd instead of meeshaan dad u baahneen lagu qasaarinaayo, gaar ahaan ninkaas Soomaaliya qaskeeda ka mid noqday intuu xalin keeni lahaa. Walad Cabdalle ayaaba loo darsaday.

Abtigiis   

xiinfaniin;748602 wrote:
^^
:D

However, as the voice of reason in these boards, we sometimes disagree with Prof. Abtigiis's rebellious tone.

The most learned person in this forum, Prometheus, doesn't agree with your self-evaluation. Why should I? If you are a voice of reason, then Jacaylabro is the voice of unity and moderation, I am the narrator of decorous stories and Faarax-Brawn is the best political analyst in this forum.

Come to think of it that when you say, as you sometimes will, Somalis must fight their way out of this tragedy and widen the coverage of the conflict, we remind you that Somalis cannot fight today. We remind you that even the most celebrated armed struggle Somalis ever engaged (Gumaysi Caabigii Sayid Maxamed Cabdulle) in ended up in a failure, and it was the SYL's unarmed, political struggle (Gobonimo Doon) that finally succeeded to win Somalia's independence.

We remind you that there is subtle difference between Gumaysi Caabi and Gobonimo Doono

Abtigiis   

Dear Xinny,

You have two fundamental problems here:

1) You look at the current struggle in Somaligalbeed from an academic and analytical perspective. That is different than the one who sees is from survival point of view -the victim. So, for you, it is so easy to prescribe anything you want. All that we ask for is not you to fight for our cause, but to at least understand it and support it morally the same way you support the legitimate case of Palestine. It is a similar situation.

2) Your view of Ethiopia, like most Somalis from Somalia who I see everyday, is exaggerated. We don't necessarily see Ethiopia the way you see it. We know its vulnerabilities and its weaknesses. We know there is no such thing as Ethiopia, but a collection of feuding nations and nationalities. We know surrender doesn't necessarily gurantee better treatment for our people. We know we wouldn't have got what somalis got today in that region without a fight. And we read the often-forgotten first part of Edward Bulwer-Lytton's "the pen is mightier than the sword" maxim. In case you forgot, he put this before those words: "BENEATH THE RULE OF MEN ENTIRELY GREAT". We know we are not dealing with great men in Ethiopia, we are dealing with petty criminals and tribalist regime.

On the issue here, the solution is simple. Let the UN not dictate solutions and ways of doing business to the Somalis. Let them respond to the endless requests of genuine support from the authorities. I trust the judgment of Somalis than that of Mahiga. The soultion is give money and political support to the credible wing of the TFG, the cabinet and let them make the next moves. Simple. Somalidu waa dawlad aqoon. Dawlad micno leh oo dhaqaale wadata cid kasta way hoos boodi doontaa.

^^I wasn't talking about Somali struggle in Ethiopia. Perhaps you feel more comfortable to articulate the righteousness of that struggle as you should.

On the question of UN role, I am not sure you are feigning ignorance here but the fact is Somalis do not trust each other and have shown amazing inability to sort things out by themselves. Lest you forget, there are close to 42 presidents in Somalia each claiming this or that region. Some times a single region has feuding presidents. That they failed to compromise and accept the fact that they are in a mess is a twenty-year story. Hence the UN, and other external interventions. As Somali Diaspora, we are not in a position to dictate terms. Somali stakeholders inside Somalia occupy that position. And it is them who rely on UN money and other aid from abroad. It does not surprise me, all the major Somali political entities and serious players have offices in Nairobi to have input and at times influence on UN approach.

We support the approach that says end the transitional status. The UN leads it politically: it has AMISOM forces on the ground, as a military muscle. And it has the TFG and regional states as a framework.

Stop speaking like we fell in love with Mahiga or he needs our legitimacy to implement whatever UN SC prescribes for Somalia.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201109230675.html

The below two paragraphs sum up Somalia's never ending peace reconciliations that reconcile no one.

A Roadmap to Nowhere

Dr. Michael A. Weinstein

When one focuses on the official statements about, meetings concerning, and documents issuing from the "transitional" process, one falls prey to the illusion that they represent something real; when one opens one's eyes to the situation on the ground, one realizes that the "transitional" process is not a genuine effort at nation building, reconciliation, and peace, but a way of getting to the point at which it will be possible to pretend that "Somalia" is a political community/state. That result seems to be the best that the "donor'-powers can hope for, given their "benchmarks." It appears to be what they are willing to accept; it is difficult to believe that they believe that their ideal scenario is anything but rhetorical cover.

The distance between rhetoric and reality - what is aspirational and what is operational - is a consequence of the failure of any of the domestic and external actors in "Somalia" to do the work and preparation necessary for a transition to an effective, functioning, and legitimate government. That would take time - perhaps years - and the "donor"-powers/U.N. have sat on their hands until recently - and now they are in a headlong rush to impose a solution. Seemingly unconscious of the irony of his words, Mahiga said on September 2: "In one year, we want to achieve, literally, what has not been achieved for over seven years."

Carafaat   

Just imagine that Somali's one day (gradually) will find their own(natural) sustainable solutions for the their own created problems and issue's(Just like all other people's around the world have their own issue's and own solutions).

Would the UN and AMISOM's created problems/obstacles or at least their interference in this (Somali owned)process be an obstacle for getting to an end result (Somali solution) or constructive for the end result?

It doenst take a genius to figer this out.:D

Yunis   

I was reading that allafrica.com article recently.

I think the Xiin is in the aspirational camp side of Somalia's new phase. Any realist would see it as 'colorful circus', We have already seen how this "transitional" has led Mahiga an ex tanzanian ambassador propelled into world status and prestige, with no clear ulternative. This circus will continue and more impetuous UN figure heads will emerge with no concrete change on the ground.

^^Please clarify.

Which one is it? 1) That the proposed all inclusive conference is not intended to end the transition whatever the reason may be (i.e. UN wants to own Somalia for the foreseeable future) or 2) Mahiga wants to stay on his post and will do whatever in his power to prolong the civil war for his own self aggrandizement.

P.S. I don't really put that much into Dr. Michael A. Weinstein's essays.

Yunis   

^ Its neither of those sxb, those are the main elements (sham Somali conferences and individual UN stake holders) that prolonged the suffering.

Quick anecdote:- Last week my professor (A Libyan), returned a week of hasty from Paris, when I asked of his urgent travel. He said, almost 100 different intellectuals/professionals from every Libyan tribe was there to assist the TFC, in constitutional matters and other gov’ institutions, he stressed this effort was born out of, and facilitated by Libyan’s alone.

I know Libya is at early stage and could well turn out to be a quagmire, but at least they show the foresight and vision. Somalia doesn’t lack trained professionals, but, for 20 years, there has never been genuine real effort or mere “inclusive” impulse solution from expats, in fact it was the opposite.

^^Agreed with the Somali failure. That is beyond discussion now, it is being discussed to death before. But I still want to grasp why a road map to end the transitional status of Somalia is not embarrassed.

If it is not Mahiga and the UN,as you say, and Somalis failed to come together by themselves, AND the UN is the caretaker entity anyway, what is wrong with the notion of saying: we've been baby sitting this TFG thing for 7 years now and we want to go beyond that and hold a conference between Somalis so they can flesh out and decide core issues perhaps with the exception of secession question, and move forward with the establishement of a non transitional government?

Abtigiis;748623 wrote:
The most learned person in this forum, Prometheus, doesn't agree with your self-evaluation. Why should I? If you are a voice of reason, then Jacaylabro is the voice of unity and moderation, I am the narrator of decorous stories and Faarax-Brawn is the best political analyst in this forum.

Oh!,special mention. :)

I am, in the spirit of self evaluation, the best if not the BESTEST(!) Political analyst in SOL,Ever! So, having said that, may i say,that I disagree with you and agree with Xiinfanin. :) :)