Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

The correct demonym: Somali or Somalian?

nuune   

Malika, saas aan kaa rabaa, don't think Zack will use Somalian after he sees those double eew smileys.gif

Zack, no you can't use Somalian and Somali together, you either use Somalian for being qurbo-joog afkii ka hallaabey sidey chips with vinegar u cunayeen and few mad media outlets that abuse the word without knowledge, so decide, use Somali as most people, or be the one's I and Malika descirbed.

Ps: We can't say Zackian, bahasha baro niyahow, if we call you Zackian you will automatically lose your identity to the opposite sex!!

Garnaqsi   

nuune;746659 wrote:
^^
Jacphar
, have you ever wondered that the
Somali
an
thing has no mention of any English articles, journals, or books that existed before the 2000, all the articles and published books that existed before that period all used Somali, Somalis...

Not true at all. I myself have read several that use Somalian which were written in the 20th century.

Here is what the most authoritative dictionary of the English language, the OED, has to say on this:

az8hhf.jpg

(Screen-captured from my copy of the Oxford English Dictionary, Second Edition. Hope I haven't committed copyright violation of sorts).

In other words, Somali and Somalian are perfectly interchangeable, as with other variations of the name.

It also shows how our friend Nuune's belief of it being a 21st century creation couldn't be more wrong!

NGONGE   

It's two in the morning and I am sitting here trying to decide if I prefer Somali to Somalian. Aah! The things that keep one awake at night, huh! :D

Garnaqsi   

NGONGE;746675 wrote:
It's two in the morning and I am sitting here trying to decide if I prefer Somali to Somalian. Aah! The things that keep one awake at night, huh!
:D

You can abandon both and go for Somauli, you know.

Garnaqsi   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;746737 wrote:
I guess some same people in this very thread wouldn't be bothered if ignorant shisheeye called them 'Mohamadan' instead of Muslim. Yea, yea, some ignorant people used this noun so it must be right, right?

You're are unable to (a) point out any linguistic problem with the term Somalian, (b) provide any reliable source that says it's incorrect. Why should we at all then pay attention to what you are blubbering about? The term Somalian is as valid as Somali! Cry me a river!

Qof Careys Ciise Kaarshe (Eebba ha u raxmadee) u qoraayo magaciisa "Cadhays" would be the last fella to comment about Soomaalida waxa loogu waco. Adi ka dhig kaalay Soomaalida "Somalian."

Soomaalida Soomaali loogu yaqaan adduunka dhan, Soomaali isku sheeg fara kutiris ah oo hadaf kale leh can't change this very fact.

Garnaqsi   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;746749 wrote:
Qof Careys Ciise Kaarshe (Eebba ha u raxmadee) u qoraayo magaciisa "Cadhays" would be the last fella to comment about Soomaalida waxa loogu waco. Adi ka dhig kaalay Soomaalida "Somalian."

Soomaalida Soomaali loogu yaqaan adduunka dhan, Soomaali isku sheeg fara kutiris ah oo hadaf kale leh can't change this very fact.

Change the topic however you like! You still haven't constructed a single coherent argument for your belief of 'Somalian' being invalid. You must really have pretty gigantic delusions of grandeur to expect us to trust you over linguistic experts like the writers of the OED.

It seems that both usages are standard and, needless to say, interchangeable. What I find mystifying, even horrifying, is the bizarre reaction of some Somalis to the term "Somalian". It is not unusual for a Somalian to start frothing at the mouth, needlessly animated by wrath and wroth, upon hearing this innocuous word. One is left to wonder whether such naive, über -nationalists, who are wont to impugn the patriotism of any Somalian who follows standard usage, are in thrall to a pretentious, indeed odious, nationalism. If they do not deign to describe themselves as "Somalians", that's fine. But to hector others for using a standard term is little more than linguistic harassment by an unlettered cranks.

Che -Guevara;747106 wrote:
^It's matter of common courtesy to be called by the name one chooses for him or herself. How do you feel one butchered your name?

The point is not,courtesy or such, it is that, a few Somalians(also known as Somalis),think that it is like youve committed C.A.H(Crimes against humanity).

Personally, like i said, It used to bother me(or as the dude above you called it, "frothing @the mouth"), then I realized,that it is not much of a big deal. As a Somali, i have other major issues to worry about that such frivilious and honestly speaking, useless term.

Have great Somalian(S) day,wont you all?