Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Sharing my experience of back home

So I went back home. Call it what you like Somalia, Somaliland, Somali whatever.

I will share my experience and observations later today.

Going back the first time in 15 years, it was a life-changing and character-altering experience.

I will be back shortly. Stay tuned.

Sorry about the time... :D:D Its already tommorow astakhfurallah.

As the quote goes, "time waits for no man"; it certainly did not wait for me.

Here we go:

I had a horrible experience with the getting there. It, seemingly and actually, took forever.

What made this even worse was that I, unknowing of what they deem 'good customer service', booked a flight with Jubba Airways - something that one should never, ever do. That is, unless you want the following to happen.

I arrived at terminal two of Dubai's international airport, so far, full of anticipation and joy to going home after 15 years. I proceed to the foyer area and looked at the flights [on the display]. To my horror, after having flown all the way to Dubai, my flight was not even up there! There was, however, a CANCELLED flight to Mogadishu, which was certainly not my destination. I enquired about the situation to a member of the airport staff and was told, "this is normal procedure; just wait" "this is the flight to Berbera - not Mogadishu". I didn't know what to think but it seemed, from what information I gathered from the other Somalis waiting around the terminal, that this was normal procedure.

After waiting for a while, during which time the stated check-in time had passed a member of staff shouted "Mogadishu". All the Somalis, by now filling the foyer of the terminal, rushed to the person; no queue or any sense of order; airport trolly's and all; people barging into each other as "there may well have been tickets sold to more people than there are seats". I tensed my elbows of steel and rush I did... I got right in the front :D it only took shoving and elbowing a few old ladies, a couple a grandpas and two women with children :P [not really].

Checking in I handed over my baggage not knowing whether I could trust to ever see it again. I was told, to my utter surprise, by a large poster above the desk to not take any "nuclear weapons aboard the plane" and reminded they are "illegal". Amongst the things I was reminded I could not take aboard the plane were guns, explosives, knives and various other kinds of weapons and would-be dangerous things. Of-course I abided and threw the few nuclear weapons I had in the nearst possible bin [sarcasm]. Though I thought this entirely absurd, I was somewhat understanding of the precautions considering the terminal only dealt with flights to Somalia, Afghanisatan, Iraq and other generally dangerous countries. It was comforting to know that, now, there would be no-one - particularly those few old ladies, a couple a grandpas and two women with children I told you about - with any nuclear weapons.

The stories are many and long... I am going to bed now so lets leave it there for today. More to come tommorow... was I hiding any other weapons, if so was I caught, was anyone else aprehended with anything... STAY TUNED.

My first taste of the Somali peninsula was when we touched down in Djibouti and boy was it hot. It was certainly 37-40+ degrees. Djibouti :confused: ?? you may be thinking. Well that was my thought exactly [at the time]. Stay tuned for my ordeal.s

Ciao folk.

Som@li   

^It is good mate that you took my advice and seen Somalia by yourself, now I will be your student, :D:D

Welcome back, and keep posting.

odaysomali, sling your hook and go back to the WEST. What can we learn from you that we don't know already? You people never cease to amaze; constantly complaining and never have anything good to say.

Abwaan   

genius pauper.;734179 wrote:
theres something very common between taleexi and abwaan, that i sometimes think, they =1.
;)
;)

wan kaxumahay qarxiska.

lol...genius....waxba maad qarxin saaxiib ee xoogaa male ah baa soo dhigtay meesha mana ahan mid kuu shaqeeyey markaan! Taleexi and I are two different individuals. I hope in shakigu kaa baxo!

N.O.R.F   

Checking in I handed over my baggage not knowing whether I could trust to ever see it again. I was told, to my utter surprise, by a large poster above the desk
to not take any "nuclear weapons aboard the plane" and reminded they are "illegal". Amongst the things I was reminded I could not take aboard the plane were guns, explosives, knives and various other kinds of weapons and would-be dangerous things. Of-course I abided and threw the few nuclear weapons I had in the nearst possible bin [sarcasm]. Though I thought this entirely absurd, I was somewhat understanding of the precautions considering the terminal only dealt with flights to Somalia, Afghanisatan, Iraq and other generally dangerous countries. It was comforting to know that, now, there would be no-one - particularly those few old ladies, a couple a grandpas and two women with children I told you about - with any nuclear weapons.

Yeah right :D

I have never come across such security notices :D

Terminal 2 is for the low budget carriers + other flights.

Som@li;734111 wrote:
^It is good mate that you took my advice and seen Somalia by yourself, now I will be your student,
:D:D

Welcome back, and keep posting.

lol. Your advice? :confused: I think you take yourself far more serious than I do. Thanks for welcoming me back though [buddy]; stay tuned for more posts.

Alpha Blondy;734168 wrote:
odaysomali, sling your hook and go back to the WEST. What can we learn from you that we don't know already? You people never cease to amaze; constantly complaining and never have anything good to say.

I certainly slung my hook and came "back to the WEST" [after staying there for a while of course] and i'm not afraid to admit that. I am glad you're amazed but, if you, your patience permitting, stay tuned for my future posts, you will see I do have some good to say. However, do not expect [or ask] to hear only the good or you will be disappointed. As for what you may 'learn', that is really up to you - I write this strictly on a 'sharing' basis.

N.O.R.F;734190 wrote:
Yeah right
:D

I have never come across such security notices
:D

Terminal 2 is for the low budget carriers + other flights.

Maybe it is a new addition. In any case, I certainly did come across such security notices [naturally, some people are more perceptive than others:p] and at the time I didn't know whether to laugh or be flabbergasted :D

Nina Fox   
Im merely overwhelmed by the statement "flights to Somalia" and am jumping in my seat with excitement. Companies actually fly there inspite of............Hmmmm. Interesting! Go on.......................I, for one, am following this trip :)

N.O.R.F   

^Nothing new? Waar all he has done is tell us about his experience at Dubai airport and thats not even back 'home' :D