Sign in to follow this  
Mohammed

Rageh Omaar Muslim?

Mohammed   

Did anyone watch his interview today?

Watch it here, the interview starts at around 34 minutes - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012mhqx/The_Andrew_Marr_Show_10_07_2011/

Transcript of par of the conversation

Andrew Marr:
Are you a Muslim, yourself?

Rageh Omaar:
Yeah! I was brought up as Muslim, Yeah!

Andrew Marr:
Are you a Muslim, now!

Rageh Omaar:
Ah! I am a Muslim, Yeah!

Andrew Marr:
Yeah! you are!

Now I'm not saying he isn't a muslim and you may be also thinking, what's wrong with that? Well, watch the video to get a better understanding. The transcript doesn't do it justice. The way he said it was soo awkward and his response was cagey, even after the interviewer asked him the question a second time. Unless you're pretending to be a muslim, why would you reply like that?

A muslim would have simply replied back and said "yes, I am a muslim".

Did anyone else watch it? What did you make of it? I read a few twitter comments and they picked up on that as well.

Mohammed   

Xaaji Xunjuf;733059 wrote:
Well he was raised as a muslim and he said he is a muslim so what is your point.

Can you not read? My point was, did you not find it odd how he answered that question. Like I said, watch the video and you'd get the point. The transcript doesn't do it justice.

Malika   

^It will be an interesting programme to watch and he did waffle about when asked if he was a Muslim - he had to be asked twice. Oh well.

Aaliyyah   

strange answers I must say. I guess he wasn't comfortable with the question. But, his religion is a personal matter!

salaam

Khayr   

Since when did religion become something to tuck away in the deepest part of your closet and only bring out during communal celeberations e.g. Eid.?

The Zack   

Loool the man for sure stuttered on the response. I don't doubt his muslimness but I think he didn't appreciate the question. XX iyo JB will always defend the tollka regardless what the issue is lol.

are these people crazy?calling everyone infidel? so wat u can do if he isn't muslim?

leave people alone & stop threatening,scare tactics.You can go on for nxt 10yrs@#$%^*

N.O.R.F   

Can't watch the programme but let me know if its available on youtube.

I'm guessing he was just flabbergasted the interviewer asked him the same question twice. The 'yeah I was brought up as a Muslim' answer is slightly odd though.

Was this part of a deeper discussion on Muslimness perhaps?

Holac   

We should all not take our great religion for granted if we are not perfect Muslims. I interpreted his replies as Oomaar avoiding to be seen as carrying the baton of righteousness or acting like a hypocrite. Being a true Muslim carries great responsibilities and he knows he is not perfect.

Omaar is a Muslim. He said it in the interview. That is all that really matters.

Blessed   

It's a silly question considering the fact that he (Raaghe) wrote a book entirely on his Muslim British identity, which I highly recommend to you Mohammed as Raaghe is very honest about his relationship with the deen in the book. You'd think the interviewer would do some background research and have some basic facts about the geezer at least. I know that I'd be seriously miffed if I was Raaghe and perhaps he was taken aback by the question. He has also written many articles and produced documentaries on Islam always drawing on his relationship with it -- I don't see him as someone who hides his Islamic identity. He may not be the ideal Muslim or even' Muslim enough' for some of you here, but taas isaga iyo illahay aya u taal.

Mohammed   

N.O.R.F;733092 wrote:
Can't watch the programme but let me know if its available on youtube.

I'm guessing he was just flabbergasted the interviewer asked him the same question twice. The 'yeah I was brought up as a Muslim' answer is slightly odd though.

Was this part of a deeper discussion on Muslimness perhaps?

Nope, it was a very simple yes or no question.

Holac;733093 wrote:
We should all not take our great religion for granted if we are not perfect Muslims. I interpreted his replies as Oomaar avoiding to be seen as carrying the baton of righteousness or acting like a hypocrite. Being a true Muslim carries great responsibilities and he knows he is not perfect.

Omaar is a Muslim. He said it in the interview. That is all that really matters.

I know he said he was a muslim, I even read an article in the Guardian which he states he is a muslim. But, maybe he changed his faith? I came across a person who was a muslim up until February this year and then became an atheist.

The way he answered that question does make you think.

Like I said, I wasn't the only one that noticed it. If you go on twitter, you'll notice a few tweets of people who picked up on it.

*Blessed;733102 wrote:
It's a silly question considering the fact that he (Raaghe) wrote a book entirely on his Muslim British identity. It even says so on the title. You'd think the interviewer would do some background research and have some basic facts about the geezer at least. I'd be miffed if I was Raaghe and perhaps he was taken a back.

Well the interview knows him well. They both used to work for the BBC.

Also, when did he write his book? This year? No, it was years ago. People do change.

I just find the way he answered that question, odd.

Blessed   

Muhammed, if he changed his faith wuu sheegi lahaa. As far as you know, HE said that HE was a Muslim. He did not negate it and this is not the first time he mentioned his Islam. Why do you insist on otherwise? Twitter gossip does not take one out of the fold of Islam. Bisinka!

Coincidentally, I was talking about Raage with someone last night-- pretty excited about his upcoming documentary on the life of Prophet Muhammed (SAW).