Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

1st of July - Union Day

i'm not planning to do anything. i mean, why should I? as far as i'm concerned there are 364 days which are more important. but those who see this day as significant, all the best with the celebration. its a shame it fallen on a friday, because its a public holiday here and i bet some people are happy.

Kool_Kat;731515 wrote:
It seems like we go through this every year...Some say "Happy Independence Day Somalia", others say "Are we really independent?" "What is there to celebrate" "Should we be really celebrating with the current situation in Somalia"...Naga dhaafa ka jajabiska! Kowda Luulyo iyo farxadeeda lagama wada maanta tan ka taagan wadankeena...Waa maalin mudan in lagu farxo lana xuso loona dabaaldago kuwii usoo huray/dagaalamay/dhintay inaan madax baani helno!

I wish there was a like button, since we don't have them, am gonna quote you

its just unfortunate that we can't celebrate in our own country at this moment,...

what we need to know is that during the past two decades of civil war in somalia, the somalis inside somalia don't have time to celebrate or even think what should we do to celebrate this coming 1st July or something since they are in deep trouble and trying to survive but in the other way those somalis living abroad or immigrated to western countries celebrate 1st july or any other national days of somalis. when i was in xamar i never think too much about 1st July and the people around as well, we had other things that matters to us and to our community...

anyway, happy so called Independence day to all ya somalis

Ms MoOns   

-Lily-;731476 wrote:
Like I said before, I don’t see why July 1st has anything to do with the current situation in Somalia. It is about those before us who fought for a return to independence & freedom.

I agree.

Have a nice day, my Somali brothers and sisters! :)

NGONGE   

Sayid*Somal;731705 wrote:
happy lamenting day to all Somalis

Heh. Still makes a point doesn't it? Waliga wax ma fahmaysid. :D

Blessed   

Well said Lily. It's all about what Somali were and the achievements of the great men and women who made the 26th of June and 1st July possible should never be forgotten. Personally, looking at images and videos from that era always fills me with a sense of pride and longing.