Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

1st of July - Union Day

Juxa   

Sayid 26ki june waxba ma aadan sheegin so why now?? I always doubted meeshad wax u wado

I concur what lily said!

Ngonge - Naga daa dee ..... unless you are going to do one of the two?

Gheelle T - A famous uncle I once had (IHXT), used to say that "if only people knew their history and more importantly understood its implication for them at present and future - those people would be the masters of their destiny on this earth" (obviously within the confines of the Islamic principle of qadar).

Also according to him - South Somalia gained its independence on November 1949 (i don't remember exact date) but by the following April 1950 the italian administrators were back and South Somalis were actually fully independent by 1954 except by name.

NASSIR   

Sayid, I hear and somehow concur with your concern. However, I believe the unity of our people can be worked on piecemeal. And no entity or group should be allowed to re-write and erase Somali history even if our faith in the concept of Somali unity fades in some corners. The vast majority of Somalis are in favor of the preservation of Somalia's territoroal integrity so do the rest of the world.

We should therefore be able to appreciate and celebrate the genuine struggle of the older generations in securing our political independence and the ensuing effort thereof to unify Somali territories, for the design of our societal ills and disintegration had began right after Somalia's strategic retreat or rather its defeat of the 1977 war, the refugee crisis and the subsequent international isolation. All of these factors combined with the destabilization policies and the secret security pact jointly pursued by our neighbors greatly contributed to our state collapse. On the other hand, whereas Ethiopia was saved from itself following the Soviet fall and the rise of the capitalist world order, we were abandoned to the mercies of proxy warlords.

But still our sovereignty within the recognized borders is still legally observed and recognized.

Sayid, I don't know about your late uncle's take on all that is Somalia history, but I think you got your dates wrong. In 1950 South Somalia was put under the UN trusteeship. In 1954, while still under the UN trusteeship, our blue flag was allowed to be raised on parallel with the UN and Italian flags, that didn't mean we were given independence, rather been groomed for the process to take our own affairs in 6 yrs time frame. Somalis weren't even on the same board on whether to be independent on 1960( date that have been set by the UN TR_ship) or delay it. Ma sii wadaa!

Kool_Kat   

It seems like we go through this every year...Some say "Happy Independence Day Somalia", others say "Are we really independent?" "What is there to celebrate" "Should we be really celebrating with the current situation in Somalia"...Naga dhaafa ka jajabiska! Kowda Luulyo iyo farxadeeda lagama wada maanta tan ka taagan wadankeena...Waa maalin mudan in lagu farxo lana xuso loona dabaaldago kuwii usoo huray/dagaalamay/dhintay inaan madax baani helno!

Gheelle T - Thank you very much for posting that link - it is most appreciated - I enjoyed seeing an old friend there (Daahir Dhagaweyne - AUN)whom I last saw in 2006 in Qardho no less. You may know he passed away in the beginning of 2008. I was with his son Yaasiin only a week ago on a Guur-doon committee.

You could be right that maybe i am confusing my dates - but i am certain about November 1949 being mentioned as the British withdrawal month from all of South Somalia - leaving only a few hundred italian former POW in charge of mogadishu. Apparently it was not until the early 1950 that italian administrators come back - and after initially teething problems - worst being the jailing of SYL members - from 1954 south Somalis exercised de facto independence in their internal affairs.

Kool Kat - first of all Abaayo soo dhowoow - actually I am of the opinion that only 26th of June should be earmarked as Somali Independence and 1st July should be known as Union Day. Also I am of the principle that my opinion should not be enforced upon others and I am merely sharing it in here.

Who objects to that and why?