Sign in to follow this  
Thierry.

Suicide

Thierry.   

Today as I was speaking to a Japanese girl in my class about course works when she got a call from her mum in Tokyo, stating that her best friend had just committed suicide.

Prior to that incident I was quite angry that I got a bad grade on one of my assignments. I was shocked about the incident but to my amazement she seemed quite reserved about the issue, I thought it might be because Japanese people have a tendency being conservative, but she said that last year another friend did the same thing.

It could never cross my mind on why a human being would kill him/herself regardless of what the issue is, so I asked her why did she do it? She said possibly because she was depressed and possibly because she realised that she does not have a purpose in life.

Walahi if I was not grateful for the Raxma of Allah subxana wa tala I am now, although this case even in modern era is a one of incident it does not elude the fact that there human beings out there like me and you who have no hope and despondent in this world and in the next.

I had to revaluate my purpose of being Lahamdullilah the source of all light the Quran and the Sahiih sunnah gives me all the answeres.

So nomads inshallah stay Muslims and if the thought of jumping off London bridge has ever come across your mind erase it as you have Allah the most merciful and remember that this world is a temporary station Inshallah try and focus most your energy to the hereafter.

ElPunto   

^Some societies have a prediliction for suicide for a host of reasons - loss of face/honour and the prospect of shame and ignobility. The Japanese by all accounts are leaders in this. Talk about a selfish, self-centred, short-sighted, cowardly act! I have absolutely no sympathy for these folks - only for their loved ones who have to deal with the devastation.

Aaliyyah   

Asalaamu alaikum,

Thierry you know how Japanese ppl are perhaps she wasnt doing well in school and life in general that she decided to take her life away. Japanese ppl for the most part expect perfection, they are so presssured. Not that justifies the fact they commit suicide ....... Allah swt said in his Koran:

"O ye who believe!... [do not] kill yourselves, for truly Allah has been to you Most Merciful. If any do that in rancour and injustice, soon shall We cast him into the Fire..." (Qur'an 4:29-30).

Suicide is forbidden in Islam, so who ever thinks that they have failed in every aspect of life, you have to remember that our purpose to live is to worship Allah swt. Whenever you are going through hard times, remember Allah swt is just testing yr patience....so ye all be strong and Allah swt will reward you in time. May allah guide us all to the right path.

wa salaam

NGONGE   

The rates of suicide amongst Somalis are not that small either. I’m sure many of us here can present lots of anecdotal evidence as to the number of those that took their own lives due to depression and what not. I hope someone has looked into this and can give some genuine numbers. You’ll be surprised.

As for the culture of suicide in Japan, you may find the following link fascinating (or not):

Suicide as Japan’s major export?

Shakti   

Originally posted by Thierry.:

Today as I was speaking to a Japanese girl in my class about course works when she got a call from her mum in Tokyo, stating that her best friend had just committed suicide.

Could u tell me how the friend committed the suicide? Or does any1 have any good suggestions here? Thanks

Fabregas   

Quote:Could u tell me how the friend committed the suicide? Or does any1 have any good suggestions here? Thanks

Is it me or does the above not sound right?

How to blame the individual committing suicide independently of the society which pressurizes him to do so?

Japanese tend to see themselves as an unseparable part of a group high on materialism, hence their very raison d'etre is jeopardized by a failure to comply with these all pervasine unwritten rules, from a Japanese individual point of view that is.

Of course, mentally ills and traumatized Somalis do commit suicide too, albeit not necessarily for the same reasons.

The cult of perfection (perfect body, pseudo "dream life" characterized by polluting SUVs and other futilities...) doesn't help either.

At any rate, suicide would have been unimaginable before our acculturation when our Nomads forefathers were satisfied by their relatively stress-free, frugal life in accord with natural laws...

NGONGE   

Shakti!

I was just about to give you a long lecture about how wrong suicide is and lend you a willing ear but then I realised that you’re not a new person, it’s just another change of name. Lets hope your mood follows similar patterns.

How bored are you, dear?

Ps

The best way to commit suicide in your case is to read a big fat book from cover to cover. The phone book does not count. :D

Now lighten up and stop being childish.

Taliban   

There's suicide and there's martyrdom operation; two different concepts. One who commits suicide is one who kills him/herself because he/she can no longer cope with life's challenges and difficulties. Martyrdom operation is a military attack in which the attacker is expected to die.

Shakti   

Wise it? Ngonner..How did ya know that im an old member??? Did the fact that I did not change my avatar (the only child whose doing back flips in here) and my signature image, give it away? (Hopefully that also answered “how childish can u be” question)

And as 4 ur suggestion, I thank you..However I can’t afford to buy a new book, so im gonna go about it in more inventive n cost saving way, by reading this to get me to a slow agonizing death.. Mind u, I was hoping for a quick release, I guess ill Settle 4 this right now. :D

p.s Ngonner.. I hear people who write a lot n over analyze everything, contributes 2 the high suicidal incidents out there.. any truth 2 this claim?

NGONGE   

Aha! There is life in the old girl yet. :D

Chin up, love, chin up.

ps

I just noticed your signature image! Hmmm. Interesting.

Edit:

I'm hoping to prove that theory of yours wrong by teasing you for years to come. ;)

Cara.   

Originally posted by ThePoint:

^Some societies have a prediliction for suicide for a host of reasons - loss of face/honour and the prospect of shame and ignobility. The Japanese by all accounts are leaders in this. Talk about a selfish, self-centred, short-sighted, cowardly act! I have absolutely no sympathy for these folks - only for their loved ones who have to deal with the devastation.

Well, it's all relative, isn't it? In Japan one would be considered selfish for hanging on to life when clearly the far more courageous and noble thing would be to take your life and save your family the shame and ignomy.

Taliban

The risk factors for suicide and "martyrdom operations" are probably the same: youth, pressure from others, lack of other options (or being led to believe that), etc. Strapping on a bomb and blowing yourself up in a city bus is NOT a rational military decision.

Taliban   

Originally posted by Cara:

The risk factors for suicide and "martyrdom operations" are probably the same: youth, pressure from others, lack of other options (or being led to believe that), etc. Strapping on a bomb and blowing yourself up in a city bus is NOT a rational military decision.

The risk factors for suicide and "martyrdom operations" aren't the same. Those committing suicide come from all walks of life; the rich, middle class or the poor. Some commit suicide because of boredom. Some because of psychological pressure, while others do it because of material pressure (poverty, richness). Martyrdom operations occur because of inequality in strength, injustice, desperation out of inability to strike in kind, iwm. Those carrying out martyrdom operations do it because they have been denied (through sanctions, embargoes, iwm) the means and methods to carry out conventional operations. If they have access to tanks, helicopters, warplanes, gunships, iwm-- then, they would not carry out such operations. So, no, the risk factors aren't the same.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Cara:

quote:Originally posted by ThePoint:

Well, it's all relative, isn't it? In Japan one would be considered selfish for hanging on to life when clearly the far more courageous and noble thing would be to take your life and save your family the shame and ignomy.

Umm no. In any society what is courageous or perceived as such is taking a stand that is contrary to public expectations or norms. Or weathering through tough times and situations when others expect you to fold. If everyone expects you to commit suicide because of shame and you don't - that is courageous as opposed to capitulating to expectations.