Sign in to follow this  
Aaliyyah

Niqaab

So adiga waxaad aaminsantahay that scholarly opinion is absolute and scholarly opinion is supreme?

May anigu waxaan aaminsanahay in Banii aadamkoo dhani khaldami karaan, even the scholars. Taasi waa mid! Laakiin the problem here, and thats Exactly why I didn't present any daliil on my post markii hore. It seem that u dont understand what it means marka la dhaho "refer back to scholars", but I'll try to explain it.

This is exactly why I brought up the example about the suicide bombers and their promised virgins because some scholars believe that suicide bombing is waajib, does that make such verdict absolute for you, since you seem to be inclined to believe whatever ruling is delivered by your beloved scholars? Please explain yourself or I will take your silence as a yes.

With all do respect sis, That's not correct! No scholar believe suicidebombing is wajib, I repeat non. Waajib means it's fard just like the salah etc. There are some scholars who in some situations allow this kind off attack, but that doesn't mean its wajib. There is a different.

Mida kale, markaan ku leeyahay hadalka culimadda, maaha inuu qofki iska raaco waxkastay dhahaan.

Hadalka culimadda ee la raacayo waa hadalka ku dhisan Quraanka iyo Sunnaha nabiga(salallahu alayhi wasalam). Tusaale, a scholar tells you "Allah is one", u ask him, proof it "Quraanka iyo sunnaha" nabigaa markaa laga rabaa inuu daliil ka keeno. Daliilka uu kenayana waa in u noqdaa mid macquul ah.

Arintan niqaabka hadaan markaa u soo noqdo, everyone, with Islamic knowledge knows that what's reported from the Salafu salih(the three blessed generations), as the prophet(salallahu alayhi wasalam) him self told us, waa waajib in la raaco. Waa wixii saxiix ah. Inay waxani saxiix yihiin, horaa loo eegay, loona daba galay, that's why we have hadith collections like sahih bukhari, sahih Muslim etc. etc.

Culimadda hadalkooda in la raaco, oo ayaga markii diin la isku qabsado la waydiiyo, Allah baa quraanka ku sheegay "waydiiya dadka ehlul cilmiga ah hadaydaan garanayn". Waxaana la dhahaa ayagaa dhaxlay booskii(cilmigii) nabiyada.

Ugu dambayn with u'r logic, oo leh culimadda hadalkoodu "qiimo ma leh" "Cuz it's all about "opinions", diintoo dhan baa ku halaabi. Qofkastaa ra'yigiisa buu ku noolaan lahaa, if that's what u want, than doodan meelna ma gaadhayso.

The scholars lagama maarmo, waa KHASAB in ayaga loo celiyo waxyabaha diinta ku saabsan.

Tusaale: Wax alle wixii axaadiith ah ee maanta qoran culimaa na soo gaadhsiisay, sidoo kale Quraanka. Waayo Quraanka buug ha ku qornaado, laakiin yaa dadka baray quraanka? Ma qof baa ku dhashay asagoo quraanka yaqaana? Maxaa markaa loo dhihi waayey "war naga taga, waa ra'yigiinee"?

Culimadu wax "opinion" la dhaho ma laha, when it coms to the deen.

- Waxay eegaan shayga laga hadlayo waxa ku soo arooray ee axaadiith iyo quraan ah,

- Markaas bay hadana eegaan waxay shaygan asxaabtii, ama nabiga(salallahu alayhi wasalam) ka dhaheen,

- and after that, they say the same as the people before them said.

Sida niqaabka oo kale, waxaa ka hadlay, asxaabtii nabiga(salallahu alayhi wasalam) iyo dadkii hore, markaa ma waxaynu leenahay "waa rayigooda"?

Lastly u'r opinion about the niqab? where does it come from? Cuz if it's based on Islamic proofs, than it most come from the scholars soo maaha?

Since u aint no Scholar, than present the proofs u have for the niqab not being wajib, ana I'll do the same.

Markaas baynu isku fiirin wich opinion is the strongest, Ama inay labaduba sax yihiin.

Anigu waxaan aaminsanahay inaadanba isku fiirin waxay culimadu niqaabka ka tidhi, ama daliilada ku soo arooray niqaabka, laakiin aad u martay jid aanan waxba lagu sugin.

Marka mas'alo laga hadlayo(like the niqaab), waa khasab in la soo uruuriyo waxa ku soo arooray ee daliil ah mas'aladan, and after that what the people who have the correct knowledge have said about this. Waxaana kuwaas ugu horeeya Asxaabtii iyo Salafkii. You And I can't just come up with our own opinion maanta. Horaa looga hadlay arintan, waxaana ka hadlay dadkii Nabiga(salallahu alayhi wasalam) la joogay, iyo dadkii arkay ardaydii nabiga(salallahu alayhi wasalam) therefor it's a must for us to refer back to them in ANY matter of the religion.

What of the other scholars who do not come to the same judgement, what does it mean for you were their nay judgement is concerned?

As I said, in Islam there is a rule that says "follow the strongest proof", and not which when that'll suit you best. Culimadda qaba in uusan niqaabku waajib ahayn, ama aamba la ogalayn must present there proofs, markaasaa la eegi karaa oo la isku barbardhigayaa the proofs.

Maanta culimadda noolna markasta waxaa ka horeeya culimadii qarniyadii ugu horaysay.

I'm intrigued by your position because you feel that you can pick and choose the rulings that only applies to you, which means that if I were to answer your own question, by asking if the word of a scholar is absolute, your answer will probably be now, because you chose to follow one ruling over another, assuming that they are all in the same profession with the same qualification just differ in their opinion from subject to subject, meaning some feel it isnt waajib, while others you want to mention by name with their ruling are for niqab being waajib, then where does that leave the qur'an? the five pillars? is Niqab the sixth pillar? the five pillars are waajib...is the kitaab subordinate to the ruling of the scholars?

U are again mixing some things here. about the different scholar opinion, horay baan uga so jawaabay.

As for the Five pillars of Islam:

The niqaab being wajib doesn't mean that it have to be the sixth piller of Islam. There are many things that are wajib in Islam oonan ku jirin shanta tiir ee Islaamka. Tusaale: Gabadhu inay is asturto, timaheeda banaanka keenin, waa WAAJIB kumana jirto the Sixth piller. And I could come with soo many other examples, but you get my point.

If some of your beloved scholars rule on a verdict, in this case, the niqab, as waajib, it means some of these scholars are compelling our dear sisters to wear the niqab...leaving the matter of choice full-stop, so what do you say to that?

As I said, if the evidence says that its wajib, than it doesn't matter what other scholars says. The scholar should only be followed with the proofs he have, and nothing else.

No, no, no, Niqaab is not waajib. No ifs, no buts, simple answer, NIQAAB IS NOT WAAJIB.. and if you disagree with the contrary, produce evidence to the contrary.....and dont interpret evidence as opinion. I want concrete, textual evidence that states NIQAB IS WAAJIB. (if you dont think qur'an is surpreme, then you are right, you and I dont have much to discuss since you believe qur'an is subordinate to scholarly opinion)

If u read what I wrote, than I didn't say that u believe that the niqab is wajib, I said IF after our debate u fine out that the niqab is wajib, than will you allow muslim women to wear them? Bal dib ugu noqo waxaan soo qoray. Laakiin hadaad leedahay, "NO MATTER WHAT YOU COME UO WITH" I wont change my opinion, than sure u can see that's its a bit waste of time inaynu doodno? U can't just make up u'r mind, before even looking at the evidence wich I'm about to present. But first, you need to understand that U just can't look at the Quran and pick and choose how u wanna interpret a verse. All the verses of the quran, have been Interpreted by the great Sahaba, and the scholars of Islam, cuz they the Sahaba had the prophet with them. Markaa waa KHASAB inaad ayaga qawlkooda raacdid, iyo siday u fahmeen quraanka, and not how someone in 2011 understands it.

Mida kale, please dont forget what I wrote in earlier post, stop the personal attack. Saying that I believe that the scholar opinion is more worth than the Quran, is like saying I'm not a Muslim. cuz if I believe that, than I'll be breaking one of the most important rules in Islam.

The scholar opinion is as I said, build on the quran and sunnah.

An example: When u mention the quran, than who translated the quran? So that we can understand it properly? cuz the quran sure needs a lot of knowledge before one can take rulings out of it. Cilmi badan bay u baahantahay. That's why we have Tafsiir books written by the earlier scholars, with the correct understanding, wich they got from generation before, and all the way back to the sahaba and the prophet(salallahu alayhi wasalam) him self.

To sum it up: Whatever that is presented to us in Islam by the scholars, and wich is sound(sahih), than it's mandatory for us to follow. The only condition is as said earlier that's the proof must be from the book of Allah or the Sunnah of his prophet(salallahu alayhi wasalam)!

How do we know what's presented to us is sahih? Than by the grace of Allah this have already been taken care for us, as the early scholars wrote down every sound hadith from the prophet. So u could say, that the scholars of today are only repeating what the early generations preserved for us, and they from the prophet(salallahu alayhi wasalam), and he from Allah the almighty.

Taleexi   

Edeb daroba ha igu ahaatee waxaan rabay inaan walaashay Layzie G waydiiyo, meel quraanka ama axaadiista bariiska lagu xalaaleeyey ma jirtaa?

If I didn't know any better, I would say you are hesitating but why?

This is not the first dance you did on this issue, I asked you not once, not twice but more than three times to produce evidence to the contrary, why are you hesitating?

If you want to buy time, take all the time you need. I won't rush you, I want you to come here prepared and ready to engage. I dont want you to dance around the issue or play with words or throw my questions back at me. I want you to A: state your position on the niqab clearly and I then need you to provide the textual evidence that supports your position, its that simple really. Namely, when asked, where is the car parked? I will answer, in the garage and someone else, presumably you will say, no it aint so, the car is nowhere is not in the garage and nowhere near it without looking what's inside the garage and my reply is, if you think its not in the garage, prove it.

I dont have to prove anything because I know that the car is in the garage but you didnt look, you just assumed that it wasnt in the garage or you said it wasnt to start an argument, either way, I turn to you and say, MISKIIN, no more dancing around this issue.....prove it.

It seem that u dont understand what it means marka la dhaho "refer back to scholars", but I'll try to explain it.

NO no no, the problem is that you can't accept that there is a difference between understanding and accepting things at face value and incase you are wondering what I mean by that, dont wait long as I will explain to you very shortly using quranic verse to support exactly what I just said.

and you also said the following:

With all do respect sis, That's not correct! No scholar believe suicidebombing is wajib, I repeat non.

Is that an opinion or a fact? If its the ladder, I would gladly list atleast 2-3 names which would be of interest to you, so please, clarify your statement otherwise, you will give people the wrong impression. (I can appreciate that you added a disclaimer of sort when you said some of the scholars who promote this type of violence but answer me this simple question: how do they command authority? They dont use their good charms to sway followers right? It cant be their angelic voice, so what else? Oh-huh, they sway by producing evidence which support their mission, to corrupt the mind of the muslim, they make compelling argument about being a waajib, now thats how you get a young man to strap on a bomb vest, what's more powerful than honouring the sacred words of the so called expert? He knows better and if he says a higher authority will in fact reward me, I must not neglect my duty and off they march on, states the young recruit.)

Culimadda hadalkooda in la raaco, oo ayaga markii diin la isku qabsado la waydiiyo, Allah baa quraanka ku sheegay

Culimadda rule and I will go as far as saying that I'm in total agreement about the portion of the Qur'an, which states: [ in Surat Al-Anbya, 21:7]

And We sent not before you, [O Muhammad], except men to whom We revealed [the message], so ask the people of the message if you do not know.

and while I agree with the above verse, the Qur'an in 49:6 goes on to say:

O you who have believed, if there comes to you a disobedient one with information, investigate, lest you harm a people out of ignorance and become, over what you have done, regretful.

(disobedient/evil/someone who looks to corrupt your pure heart) all of which emphasize the danger in following scholars blindly. The qur'an instructs a believer to question and doubt requires that you question sources.

getting back to the subject:

When you say something like the niqab is waajib, you have to prove beyond doubt that it is infact waajib and you are not in fact confusing with other "outer garments".

Haith found in clothing (Kitab Al-Libas) of Sunan Abu-Dawud states the following:

Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: Safiyyah, daughter of Shaybah, said that Aisha mentioned the women of Ansar, praised them and said good words about them. She then said: When Surat an-Nur came down, they took the curtains, tore them and made head covers of them.

and another hadith states:

Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin: When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

Are you suggesting these hadiths are inaccurate or incomplete?

Do you dispute or know any better than the women in question? Do you think they didnt understand what outer garment meant? Do you think they misinterpreted the qur'an, especially the surat An-Nur, which states:

and speaking of outer garments, Surat An Nur, 24:31 states:

And tell the believing women to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which [necessarily] appears thereof and to wrap [a portion of] their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers, their brothers' sons, their sisters' sons, their women, that which their right hands possess, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women. And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.

Where in the above hadith translations and the qur'an does it say a woman is obliged to conceal her face, and in your case, the niqab is waajib?

Furthermore, why would Surat An-Nur, 24:30 state the following:

Tell the believing men to reduce [some] of their vision and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do.

Lets indulge in hypothetical here for a brief moment and assume that the veil is waajib as you say and all women are obligated and its their duty to wear the veil, why then would men be instructed to lower their gaze in the holy scripture of all places, seeing as they cant see the person infront of them?

sounds to me you didnt think this through before you came here. YOu might want to consult an expert to get your head around the question, only then would you achieve satisfactory results.

going back to ayah 24 verse 31:

If the women believers interpreted Surat An-Nur as to cover themselves(head), we the observers of such hadith are not given a reason to doubt them or their interpretation nor does it demonstrate to us that they interpreted it any differently.

speaking of experts, you said the following about scholars:

The scholars lagama maarmo.....

If you want to take what these self-proclaimed scholars say at face value or blindly follow their word, thats your choice but you can not come here and pretend that their words are sacred or pretend to sell the idea that what they say is absolute.

For example, lets take your Bukhari as an example. How many hadiths did he collect and how many of those made it to print?

This is not a trick question, this a simple question that needs simple answer. If we are to believe that the narrations he collected and compiled were authentic, why didn't he use all of the narrations, why only a small percentage?(I hope I didnt give you the answer to my own question here)

and when you said:

The scholars lagama maarmo, waa KHASAB in ayaga loo celiyo waxyabaha diinta ku saabsan.

did you really mean it? Does this mean that you would take the late Shaykh Naasiruddeen al-Albaane's findings authentic?

After all, he was an authority on fiqh and hadith, so it must mean that his words, at point time or another carried great weight, so what say you? Maku khasbanahay inaan warkiisa qaadano and revert back to his verdicts?

Why did al-Albaane go to great lengths to distinguish between the different garments, why did he chastise other so called presumed scholars for deviating from the sacred words?

Why do Al-baane and others differ so greatly about what can be interpreted as the awrah?

At the end of the day, when you attempt to use examples of hadiths which clearly is interpreted by men to strengthen their argument that the awrah can be extended to all parts of the woman's body and not just private parts like the man and go to great lengths to interpret as including all parts, including but not limited to the face, you are in fact forming an opinion above and beyond what is intended by the qur'an. So again, I Repeat, do you think its wise to follow scholars blindly?

They take a word here and there and use it.

The very same hadiths you want to use to strengthen your arguments are probably the abu Dawood Book 32, or Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1 that you like so much or Tafseer ibn Jarir, vol 22, which is probably your favourite opinion of scholars who go to great pains to emphasis the importance of the veil, based on a judgement which accomplished scholars refute and call it "inauthentic".

I don't except you to come up with all the answers but you can see why I asked you to produce evidence and not opinion because most of the times, you can find anything and everything to convince people that it isn't so but when some of the source of the hadith is questioned by the esteemed culumas, it leaves room for doubt eedo. but ofcourse, you believe all and every hadith yet the ones you briefly mentioned went to get pains to select the ones they thought were the most authentic based on versions of the narration they heard previously while others when so far as to exaggerate the interpretation.

Like i said, produce evidence or dance around the issue, the ball is in your court.

Yours truly, and forever,

LayZie G.

BOB   

The more you read some of the comments posted on SOL these days the more you realise how desperate some of us are for attention!!! to slander your kind in a public forum is never a progress, to argue over something you have no knowledge of is the sign of ignorance and to ignore the simple truth is the mother of all bone-headedness.

Peace, Love & Unity.

I am sincerely regretting that I went into the debate with you. Because it's clear that you do not understand what I write, I do not know if it's my Somali?

Cuz I read in the other niqab thread that your Somali (and Arabic) aren't that good, my deepest apology if that's the case.

I mentioned our Salafu salih, and you'r answer was "self-proclaimed scholars" so you think that the first three generations are "self-proclaimed scholars"? This is a direct insult to muslim scholars, our Sahaba and those who came after them. And it only shows that u'r understanding of "scholars" is totally wrong. Cuz the ahadith u have mentioned, who do you think narrated them? it's the same scholars you call "self-proclaimed"!

You also, for the 5th time mentioned me "following scholars blindly? I have several times in this debate stated that I do not follow anyone blindly, but you continue with this because you think it somehow gives your debate "Credibility "! Your whole debate is built on that "I follow scholars blindly", the funny thing is that I have not mentioned any name yet, but spoke generally about when dealing with religion, one must refer back to the people who have knowledge about the topic. It honestly can't be that hard to understand.

Also you are making the classic mistake any layman makes when it comes to religios debates, I unfortunately expected! It's to copy past the translation of some verses from the Koran, and couple of hadith to make u'r point, without even considering what the scholars of tafsir have said about this verse, or for that matter any real evidence from the Salaf. .

But I've told you again and again, THIS IS NOT HOW IT WORKS! You can not take an English translation of the Koran, and slap them on people face, and think that you understood fully what it means. First of all using an English translation of the quran doesn't work, u have to go back to the real source, the real tafsiir books. The English translation only shows you what the words mean, and not the interpretation of the words, and how the sahaba understood it. The interpretation of the verses is extremely important

That's why I'm asking you to come up with evidence from the known mufasirin about what they have said about these verses. How are these verses understood? Then look how the Sahaba and their students understood this.

It's not about WOMEN UNDERSTANDS niqab issue better than the men because most Sahaba scholars were men. And the most knowledgeable were men. Marka u saying

hadiths which clearly is interpreted by men to strengthen their argument

is another insult on the sahaba. U are making this as If it was a battle between Men vs Women.

The topic is not about some sick men, trying to twist the Quran verses to hijach the right of the women, you have completely misunderstood the topic. And your evidence is also wrong because I can'r see a single tafsiir from known scholars, or a single example of tafsir from the Sahaba.

One last thing I need to clarify before I post my evidence! walaal I've never once said my personal opinion on this topic! My personal opinion on this matter is not important, as it wouldn't changed anything.

I have however repeatedly told you that there is a very strong position among the Muslims that the niqab is wajib. This position is backed by many evidence from our Salaf (Dont worry I'll quote them below)! Therefore, it is strange that you, despite this continues to deny that this opinion is valid, and says that the only ones who have this opinion is "self proclamed scholars, that brainwashes people, just like kids are brainwashed to be suicidebombers"!!!

And while we talk about the Muslim scholars.

Even those scholars who have the same opinion as you, namely that the Niqab is only recomended, do not use these words you do, or even have u'r opinion that "it's some evil scholars that are violating the rights of the women", and they are tottaly agaings the "niqab ban"! They even tell women that niqab is a great thing, and the'll be rewarded if they wear it. Nobody of the known scholars have u'r understanding of the topic.

And I do not by any means sweep their view of the table (ie the scholars who believe that the niqab only is Sunnah), I respect them for that, and I know that this is an issue wich there is much debate about. And I could never think of calling them names like "self proclamed scholars" or worse.

You mention, for example. Sh. Albani (and yes he is one of the scholars I recognize as a great scholar, and I also think he is one of the biggest scholars of our time, and the biggest muhadith of this era), his position is that the niqab is sunnah, and even when he has this opinion, his wife wore the niqab? What does that say about the esteemed Sheikh? I wonder if he has forced her? Why does she wear it even when her husband, who is a grat scholar proofs that it's not wajib?

That said, it's basically about proofs, it's not about "who I consider as scholars or not", and it's not about "I like those scholars mosr It's only about the evidence we have from the Holy Scriptures and how our Salaf understood this. This alone we base our position on! And that's why I AGAIN AND AGAIN repeat myself when I say the proofes you have quoted , must not only be the translation of a hadith or verse, but the interpretation of the verse from the Sahaba, or their students for that matter. For it was in the community of the sahaba these verses came down.

Well, now I'll post my evidence, and before you answer back, be careful of what you say about these people I'll qoute, as it is Sahaba, great Muslim scholars, whom all Muslims recognize as the greatest Imam, therefore it's gonna be problematic if you start question their credibility.

I'll post my evidence in the next post, since I've exceeded the limit of word per. post.

This is something I posted in another forum severel yers ago, Enjoy.

From the Sahaba(The companions of the prophet) (Radhiallaahu Ánhuma) ......

Ibn Ábbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu), who was one of the most knowledgeable companions of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam), Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) even made duwaa for him saying "O Allaah, make him acquire a deep understanding of the religion of Islaam and instruct him in the meaning and interpretation of things."

Ibn Jarir (Rahimahullah) with an authentic chain of narrators has quoted Ibn Abbaas' (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) opinion was "that the Muslim women are ordered to cover their head and faces with outer garments except for one eye." (This is quoted in the Ma'riful Qur'an in the tafseer of Surah Ahzaab ayah # 33, with reference of Ibn Jarir with a sahih chain of narrators). The Tabiee Ali Bin Abu Talha explained that this was the last opinion of Ibn Abbaas and the other opinions quoted from him were from before Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59 and the order of the "Jalabib". Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen commented on this saying of Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) by saying "This statement is "Marfoo" and in Sharee'ah that is the same category as a hadeeth which is narrated directly from Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam). The quote of Ibn Abbaas is quoted by many tabi'een like Ali Ibn Abu Talha and Ibn Jarir in Ma'riful Qur'ân by Mufti Muhammad Shafi vol.7 pg.217 and also in Tafseer Ibn Jarir, Vol. 22, pg.29 and also by Imaam Qurtubi all with SAHIH Chains and explained in the book "Hijaab" by Ibn Uthaymeen, Page # 9 and authenticated in the book "Hijaab wa Safur"by Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullaah) on page #11 and by Shaikh Abdul Aziz bin Baaz (Rahimahullaah) on page # 55 and 60 )

Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) Who was known as the most knowledgeable Sahaabi in matters of Sharee'ah. He became Muslim when he was a young kid and ever since that he stayed with Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) and gained the understanding of Qur'ân from him. Umar Ibn Khattab (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said about him "By Allaah, I don't know of any person who is more qualified in the matters dealing with the Qur'ân than Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud" Explained, the word Jilbaab (as mentioned in the Qur'ân Surah Ahzaab ayah # 59 ) means a cloak which covering the entire body including the head, face and hands. (Quoted from Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullaah) in his book on fatwaas Page# 110 Vol # 2 and By Shaikh Ibn Uthaymeen in the book Hijaab Page # 15)

Ayeshah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) Stated that in verse 30 and 31 of Surah An Noor "What has been allowed to be shown is the hands, bangles and rings but the face must be covered. (Quoted in the book Purdah P# 195 and in his Tafseer of Qur'ân under the tafseer of Surah An Noor)

Abu Ubaidah Salmani (Radhiallaahu Ánhu), an other well known Sahabi is quoted saying "Jilbaab should fully cover the women's body, so that nothing appears but one eye with which she can see." (Tafseer Al-Qurtubi) And In the time of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) "The women used to don their cloaks (Jilbaabs) over their heads in such a manner that only the eyes were revealed in order to see the road." (The Book "Hijaab" page # 9)

Ubaida bin Abu Sufyan bin al-Harith ('Radhiallaahu Ánhu' An' Other well known and knowledgeable Companion of Rasulullaah) Imaam Muhammad bin Sirin (Rahimahullah) One of the most knowledgeable tabi'een) said "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith ('Radhiallaahu An'hu) how the jalbaab was to be worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse" (Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol.3, p.457 also in "hijaab wa Safur" quoted by Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baaz under the chapter of his fatwaa on hijab on page #54) [Top]

From the Tabi 'een.... (The student of the sahaba)

Hassan Al-Basri (Rahimahullah)

States in his tafseer of the Surah An-Nur, "What a woman is allowed to show in this Ayah implies to those outer garments (not the face or hands) which the woman puts on to cover her internal decoration (her beauty). (Quoted in the book "Purdah" P#194 )

Ibn Jarir (Rahimahullah) Quotes the opinion of Ibn Ábbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) "Allaah has enjoined upon all Muslim Women that when they go out of their homes under necessity, they should cover their faces by drawing a part of their outer garments over their heads." (Tafseer Ibn Jarir, VOL 22, pg.29)

The Tabi'ee, Qatadah (Rahimahullah) Stated that the Jilbab should be wrapped and fixed from above the forehead and made to cover the nose, (although the eyes are to show) and the chest and most of the face are to be covered.

The Tabi'ee Ali bin Abu Talha (Rahimahullah) Quotes from Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) that he used to say it was allowed to show the hands and face when Surah Noor ayah #31 was revealed but after Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59 with the word "Jalabib" was revealed then after this Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said that That the Muslim women are ordered to cover their head and faces with outer garments except for one eye." And this was also the opinion of Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu). (This is quoted by Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullaah) in his book of fatwaa and by Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baaz (Rahimahullaah) in the book "Hijaab wa Safur" Page # 60)

Imam Muhammad bin Sirin (Rahimahullah) One of the most knowledgeable tabi'een) "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith ('Radhiallaahu Ánhu' Other well known and knowledgeable Companion of Rasulullaah) the meaning of this verse about "Alaihinna" and how the jalbaab was to be worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse"(Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol # 3, p.457 also in "hijaab wa Sufor" quoted by Shaikh AbdulAziz Bin Bazz under the chapter of his fatwaa on hijab on page #54) [Top]

From the Mufasireen of Quraan...

The Mufassir, Imaam Al-Qurtubi (Rahimahullah),

Cites in his Tafseer of the Ayah on Jilbaab (Al-Ahzab 33:59), that the Jilbaab is: "a cloth which covers the entire body... Ibn 'Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) and 'Ubaidah As-Salmaani (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said that it is to be fully wrapped around the women's body, so that nothing appears but one eye with which she can see." (Tafseer Al-Qurtubi Surah Al-Ahzab ayah # 59. This was also agreed upon by Imaam Wahidi, Imaam Neishapuri in the book of tafseer of Qur'ân "Gharaib-ul-Quran" and "Ahkam-ul-Quran", Imaam Razi, in his tafseer of Surah Azhab in the book "Tafsir-i-Kabir" Imaam Baidavi in his tafseer of Qur'ân "Tafsir-i-Baidavi" and by Abu Hayyan in "Al-Bahr-ul-Muhit" and by Ibn Sa'd Muhammad bin Ka'b Kuradhi and they have all described the use of jalbaab more or less in the SAME way as the two described by Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu).)

Also from Imaam Qurtubi (Rahimahullah)

in his Al-Jamia li Ahkaamul Qur'ân states: "All women are in effect covered by the terms of the verse which embraces the Sharée principle that the whole of a woman is ‘Áwrah’ (to be concealed) – her face, body and voice, as mentioned previously. It is not permissible to expose those parts except in the case of need, such as the giving of evidence…" ("Al-Jamia li Ahkaamul Qur'ân")

At-Tabari and Ibn Al-Mundhir

described the method of wearing the Jilbaab according to Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) and Qataadah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu). The sheet should be wrapped around from the top, covering the forehead, then bringing one side of the sheet to cover the face below the eyes so that most of the face and the upper body is covered. This will leave both eyes uncovered (which is allowed in necessity) (Rul-ul-Ma'ani, Vol 22, p.89)

Ibn Kathir (Rahimahullah) said...

"Women must not display any part of their beauty and charms to strangers except what cannot possibly be concealed."

Continue ......

From the 4 Madhabib (Schools of thought).......

Mufti Anwar Ali Adam Al Mazahiri (Mufti A'azam (Head Mufti) of Madrasa Madinatil Uloom Trinidad & Tobago.)

"Imaam Shaafi, Maalik and Hanbal hold the view that niqaab (covering the face and the hands completely with only a small area for the eyes to see) as being compulsory (fard). Imaam Abu Hanifa says that niqaab is Wajib and the face and hands can be exposed provided that there is not fear of desire if one looks at the female face, otherwise if there is the slightest chance of desire developing in the looker (the meaning of desire is that the looker would see the female face and think that she is beautiful, sexual thought is not what is meant) then exposing the face and hands is Haraam. (This is from the fatwaa issued by Mufti Anwar Ali Adam Al Mazahiri on 13/9/99. He derived the opinions of the 4 Imaams from these sources Tafseer Ibn Katheer, Tafseer Ma'rifatul Qur'aan, Durre Muhtaar, Fatawa Shami, Al Mabsoot, Fathul Qadeer. And the opinion of Imaam Abu hanifah is a directly derived from his statements in the Famous book of hanafi Fiqh Fatwaa Shami)

Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah)

Relates that the correct opinion for the Hanbali and Malki madhaib is that is is wajib to cover everything except one or two eyes to see the way. (from the Arabic book "Hijaab wa Safur" under the fatwaa of Ibn Taymiyyah on hijaab, page # 10)

Ibn Al-Hazam (Rahimahullah)

"In arabic language, the language of the Prophet (saw), the word jilbaab (as mentioned in the Qur'ân Surah Ahzaab ayah # 59) means the outer sheet which covers the entire body. A sheet smaller than that which would cover the entire body, cannot be categorized as jilbaab.(Al-Muhallah, Vol 3. Pg 217)

Ibn Al-Mandhur (Rahimahullah)

"Jalabib is plural for Jilbaab. Jalbaab is actually the outer sheet/coverlet which a woman wraps around, on top of her garments to cover herself from head to toe. This covers the body entirely." (Lisan ul-Arab, VOL 1. Pg.273)

Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalanee (Rahimahullah)

A tradition reported on the authority of Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánha) says: "A woman in a state of Ihram (during Hajj and Umrah) should stretch her head cloth over to her face to hide it." (In Fathul Bari, chapter on Hajj)

Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah) relates:

"Women used to room about without Cloaks (Jilbaabs) and men used to see their faces and hands, but when the verse stating 'O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks over themselves.' (Surah Al-Ahzaab,Verse #59) was reveled, then this was prohibited and women were ordered to wear the Jilbaab. Then Ibn Tayimiyyah goes on to say "The word Jilbaab means a sheet which Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) explained as a cloak covering the entire body including the head, face and hands. Therefore, it is not permissible for the women to reveal the face and hands in public. (Ibn Taymiyyah's book on fatwaas Page# 110 Vol # 2 also in the book Hijaab Page # 15)

Shaikh Abdul Aziz Bin Baaz (Rahimahullah)

"According to the understanding of the best generations (the "Salaf") after the ayah of hijaab was revealed than Muslims women must cover everything including the face and hands. they can show one eye or two eyes to see the way. this was the opinion held by many of the Sahaabah like Ibn Abbaas, Ibn Masud, Aa'ishah (Radhiallaahu Ánhuma) and others and this opinion was upheld by the Tab'ieen who followed than as Ali bin Abi Talha and Muhammad bin Sirin (Rahimahullaah) and by the righteous ulama who followed them as Ibn Taymiyyah and Imaam Ahmed bin Hanbal (Rahimahullaah)" (Quoted from the book "hijaab wa Sufor")

Somalina   

For Lazy G

-------

Why I Wear Hijab And Not Niqaab

Tara bint Curtis Gregory conducts a painstaking investigation of what the often disputed references from the Quran and ahadith actually say and sets out the conclusions she has arrived at after three years of research.

Enjoy

Jacpher   

^I don't think that article will better LG argument here. The author is not questioning the Niqab and condemning the Niqabi sisters. She's merely stating her limited knowledge and understanding of the position of the Niqab in Islam, permissible but not obligatory. I think that's totally different ball game than refusing to grant women niqab freedom.

My understanding is that LG and Sarkozy view Niqab as oppressive tool to women and not religious act, or freedom of religion. Therefore, LG and Sarkozy claim to be freeing the millions upon millions of Muslim women from that oppressive Niqab.

Jacpher   

^I hear you sister but I think it's one thing to stir up controversy but another to condemn and disparage a religious decree. When someone chooses to deliberately drag Shacaa'irta Alle into the mud, it's usually about something bigger than getting few loughs.

I don't know much about the author you posted above but I like they way she presents her argument and moves the topic forward.

BOB   

Al-Maskiin brother waxaan kugula talin lahaa inaad meesha ku xidhid sheekada si aadan u dambi ugu dhicin walaasheen Layzie-na ay usii dambaabin after all muran aan wax la kala qaadaneyn waa macno daro markee meeshaa gaartana waa laga haraa.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Somalina   

Waxaan ugu soo dhejiyey in LG ay ka tusaale qaadato sida wax loo soo bandhigo.

Teeda kale, this topic 1000 jeer ayaa laga hadley halkaan. Dadkaan ma daalaan miyaa?