Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The Great Opportunist!

NGONGE   

Somalia has seen its fair share of opportunists, survivors and crooks. Some are unfairly labelled as opportunists whilst others fully merit the label. In some cases, referring to someone as an opportunist becomes the only polite and benign way of delivering an insult.

The issue of opportunism goes way back into the Somali Republic’s history. In fact, many would argue that the former dictator of Somali got his job through his opportunism and ceasing of the moment. Many others will claim that Abdullahi Yusuf was also another opportunist who made use of the global politics of the time and invited the Ethiopian army to invade his country under the pretext of fighting Islamic terrorism in order to prolong his own presidency. The same contention could be directed at humble Sh. Sharif and his elevation from a simple teacher to high flying president.

Being an opportunist may, in the eyes of some, be something to look down upon but, as the names above show, it also delivers (valuable) results. Yet, as in the case of the names above again, it does not always go as was planned. A real opportunist knows when to jump in and when to jump off. He knows which way the winds are blowing and how to tiptoe around looming trouble. The three above didn’t.

If asked, most people will reason that Sharif Hassan Sheikh Aden is one of the greatest opportunists in Somalia today. A man that no matter the nature of the fallouts he has or the person he squabbles with always seems to survive to fight another day. A man that counts the Islamic Courts, Abdullahi Yusuf, young Sharmarke and even Sheikh Sharif amongst those he outwitted in the recent past. He certainly is a good contender but I personally do not regard him as a consummate opportunist. His timing has been iffy and, though he managed to secure important jobs in the TFG, he has not succeeded in garnering love or respect from the wider Somali world. The followers of a man such as Sharif Hassan will follow him no matter what he does (in full accordance to the clan is everything doctrine). His opponents may change their opinion of him once he changes political garbs and moves to their side of the fence but it is extremely doubtful that they will ever admire him or even respect him. He is not a man that encourages such sentiment and the most that any would say about him is that he is a man who is out for his own gains. Therefore, Sharif Hassan, despite all his impressive opportunistic work, is really not the greatest Somali opportunist in today’s Somalia.

The Somaliland elite (as some like to call them) may also be referred to as opportunistic for ceasing the moment and declaring a breakaway republic. However, since they are a collective rather than one person the tag does not fit them that well. Likewise those from the SSC or Maakhir who alternate between being with SL one day, PL the other and on their own today! Besides, when it comes to collective groupings the idea of shifting allegiances is usually one of changing principles or ideals rather than opportunistic self interest. SL’s drive for recognition is a clear example of that. In fact, some point to the lack of recognition after twenty years and gleefully mock the empty principle of secession. Yet, because SL’s secession is not wholly built on simple ‘self interest’ or gain, that republic will carry on seceding and seeking recognition regardless of how long it may need to wait. The same can be said about the SSC and their mad unionist ideas (more about that later). Theirs is not one about self interest (alone) or immediate gains; theirs is also one of principled ideals and (unlike SL) empty beliefs. Therefore, and in spite of what either side may say, collective groupings cannot really be accused of being opportunistic (no, not even the Imam’s PL – though HE maybe, and a bad one at that).

The greatest living Somali opportunist today is one Axmed Cabdi Xaabsade. A lovable rogue who keeps changing sides as often as Somalia changes prime ministers. But unlike all the people (and groupings) mentioned above, Xaabsade has the gift of timing and there is always method to his coat turning.

When Somalia was a wilderness of warlords and collapsed state, Xaabsade saw the great opportunity SL presented and threw his lot with that entity to become its speaker of parliament. The logic was clear. This was his only chance for self advancement and he had to grab the opportunity with both hands. In addition, it meant that the organisation, collectiveness and safety in numbers that SL offered would give him (and his LA people) the chance to progress, live and prosper in conditions of relative peace and calm. Xaabsade played his cards perfectly on that occasion.

Later, when PL was created, organised itself and set up job opportunities for any “local” politicians with opportunistic tendencies, the great Xaabsade saw his chance again and defected to that entity. Here, it was not about peace alone. Some would argue that he is a traitor that is only out for his own benefits and gains but I would beg to differ and contend that the man is a great politician who constantly tries to pick the best deal for himself (and his people). Joining PL meant that he would be amongst “his” people (C is E) and it, possibly, meant that his chances of career progression whilst improving the lot of the SSC people would be much better. It is always good to remember that when a politician represents a certain people (the world over) he uses the name of these people to help his own advancement and make demands of the powers that be. As a result of that, his people benefit even if the politician himself does not care much for their wellbeing. It’s almost impossible to have one without the other. This is also the case with Xaabsade and his flirtation with PL or SL. As an experienced opportunist, he was always out for the best deal for himself and, in extension, his people.

In 2007, in the midst of the calamitous Cade presidency and after being sacked from his job, our devious protagonist had to weigh his options again. The reason he joined PL in the first place was that the chances of the resurrection of the Republic of Somalia were much better at the time and SL’s chances were not as rosy as they are today. He had to hedge his bets and hope that the republic shall return. However, faced with the creaky presidency of Abdullahi Yusuf in Somalia, the early days of the fight between Al Shabab and the Ethiopians, Cade’s pathetic rule of PL and the loss of his own ministerial position, he had no choice but to throw his lot with the suddenly very attractive SL.

Today, Xaabsade is the information minister of Somaliland and is again (most certainly) twisting SL’s arms to do MORE for him and his people. He watches the SSC’s idealistic struggle and, probably, laughs to himself at the futility of it all. Xaabsade is a man after my own heart. He has done it all, seen it all and bought all the t shirts.

People wage wars for an infinite number of reasons. Some do it for freedom from oppression, some to retaliate against previous injustices and some for principles. The SSC’s fight is one of romanticism and total confusion. They are sandwiched between two entities that they don’t get on with yet, madly, pine for far off Somali unionism! The madness, of course, comes from the fact that there is no such thing today. Had the SSC offered Xaabsade a more attractive option, he (as his record shows) would have probably jumped at the opportunity as quick as a pirate spotting an oil tanker in the horizon. But, since the SSC themselves are not sure of what their goals are (other than opposing SL) and what their future plans should be (other than the impractical and crazy support for the TFG), wise Xaabsade is, understandably, in no great hurry to put his running shoes on.

Today, Xaabsade sees the clear advantages (for himself and his people) that supporting SL bring. He knows that the control of LA is in his hands and that regardless of whatever boastful gestures SL makes he was and still remains the supreme arbiter of that city. He fully understands the amount of leverage this power gives him and it is the reason he used it as a bargaining chip in his flirtation with SL then PL then SL again. Furthermore, opportunism carries with it countless risks and a seasoned politician such as Xaabsade is well aware of the amount of risk involved. To walk such a tight rope and never fall requires him to ensure that his supporters are happy and that he always remains relevant in whatever events that arise. So, today, when the SSC threatens his entire existence, he again shows his great ability for sniffing developing opportunities and bags himself the job of the SL Minister Of Information! How long will he remain in that job is anyone’s guess but I would personally wager that his next job (with SL, PL or even the TFG) is going to be better. I would also wager that the coming period is going to see more money, development and progress taking place in the areas claimed by the SSC and it will all be down to the current SL Minster Of Information. After all, the opportunity to hold SL to ransom here is clear for all to see, never mind a man whose entire career is built on taking advantage of such chances.

NGONGE   

The job of Information Minster is, usually, and particularly in Africa, all about propaganda and the winning of hearts and minds. So we expect our dear Xaabsade to spend the coming days and months belittling the SSC (without insulting their followers) whilst singing the praises of SL and the great strides (in all sectors of life) that it’s making. Still, such a policy (in my own opinion) is unlikely to bear any fruits. SSC’s fight is one of principle (clannish principle) and they (sadly) have been brainwashed into believing that the bygone idea of greater Somalia can be revived if only they waved a blue flag and supported the failing TFG. In return, all they get are emotional protests in far off towns from Farmajo’s followers. Such emotional support does not “liberate” lands or assist “victory”. It needs to be material, economic and military support for it to even begin to show any green shoots of progress. Yet, the irate SSC seem to be happy with these empty gestures and shall plough on regardless. Xaabsade, should anyone deign to seek his advice, would counsel restraint, negotiation and using the collectiveness of the SSC as a carrot that will entice the best offer from any side (TFG, PL or SL). He would caution against unplanned revolt, uncontrolled emotions and needless loss of life without having any clear and tangible goals (which, frankly, seems to be the SSC’s position today).

Though it is no secret that I don’t rate the Imam’s abilities and have no faith in his longevity as president of PL, I believe that should PL strike oil or races ahead of everyone else in terms of social, economic and political progress, Xaabsade will again switch sides. Emotional attachment is not his thing, empty romantic rhetoric not his cup of tea and aimless progress never appeals to him.

Xaabsade saw a better future with SL in the early 90s so he became their speaker of parliament. He saw progress in PL (before Cade and the Imam) so he joined them and became a minister there. He then saw the possibility of democratic rule, further International aid and even the glimmer of recognition of SL, so he switched sides again and returned to SL. Should Xaabsade see the TFG go through an incredible recovery and prove that it could recreate the Somali republic, I am certain that the man will be singing that national anthem long before anyone else would.

Today, the great opportunist is with the side offering him the most attractive conditions for life. He will twist, turn and use his authority to demand the best possible situation in life for him (and as a natural extension) for those who support him. SSC in the meantime will sing to Sado’s jingles, cheer the Cabuudwaaq protests and conduct hit and run operations until it all fizzles out and the inferior calibre of opportunists leading that cause abandon them for a better deal elsewhere.

nuune   

People will see your topic as a confirmation for supporting the military of SL to cleanse the ethnic SSC as Xaaji Xeyraan said, ninkaa Xaaji ka ag dheeroow niyahow, waa kalluun ibriiq madhan la ordaya smileys.gif

NGONGE   

nuune;694371 wrote:
People will see your topic as a confirmation for supporting the military of SL to cleanse the ethnic SSC as Xaaji Xeyraan said, ninkaa Xaaji ka ag dheeroow niyahow, waa kalluun ibriiq madhan la ordaya
smileys.gif

Ethnic cleansing waa sheeko ciyaalka, saaxib. No such thing is ever going to happen. It's only booto from both sides but no great war. At any rate, this is not for kuwa calaacalka jecel (for either side). I'm trying to bring out odayada aamusan. :D

conscienceless, corrupt, crafty, crooked, deceitful, disgraceful, dishonest, dishonorable, exploitative, low-down dirty mercenary, perfidious, petty, questionable, scandalous, scheming, self-seeking, selfish, shady, shameless, shifty, sinister, two-faced, unconscientious, unconscionable, underhand, unethical, unfair, unprincipled, unworthy, venal, wicked, wrongful, unscrupulous....... where is the dictionary - oh yeah - and the great opportunist - the picture of traitor, devil in disguise.

Having said that - i don't fault the man - he can't help what he is - what i find difficult to reconcile is the fact that; - a) that there are people following him - b) people he traitorously dealt with accept him back - c) whose worse him or them??

NGONGE   

Sayid*Somal;694373 wrote:
conscienceless, corrupt, crafty, crooked, deceitful, disgraceful, dishonest, dishonorable, exploitative, low-down dirty mercenary, perfidious, petty, questionable, scandalous, scheming, self-seeking, selfish, shady, shameless, shifty, sinister, two-faced, unconscientious, unconscionable, underhand, unethical, unfair, unprincipled, unworthy, venal, wicked, wrongful, unscrupulous....... where is the dictionary - oh yeah - and the great opportunist - the picture of traitor, devil in disguise.

Having said that - i don't fault the man - he can't help what he is - what i find difficult to reconcile is the fact that; - a) that there are people following him - b) people he traitorously dealt with accept him back - c) whose worse him or them??

You're oozing positivity today, saaxib. :D

It's all politics and he's premiership standard.

Malika   

Waaw - Ngonge you have outdone yourself here.

You trully underestimate the desire, the ambition and vision of the SSC people - your post is condescening and misinformed - You think you know all about the people of SSC by reading some websites huh? ..mate you are clueless, its so obvious that I dont know where to begin and where to end - so to shorten up my response , I say this to you..STUFF AND NONSENSE.

LOL..

*walks of singing to Sado - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBaOx8i4_Ns&feature=related

AYOUB   

^Xanaaqday! way xanaaqday!:)

NGONGE, I think you've been unfair to old Xaabsade with the title you've bestowed on him. There are many more unscrupulous and opportunistic Somalis in the political scene. Of all them, I don't think any one can challenge Sheekh Indhacadde to that title. I don't think Col. Cadbullahi Yusuf was much of an opportunist either. The likes of him and Max'ed Dheere could be called secular warlords but it's unfair to called them opportunistic because I think they actually believed in what they fought for. These men have some principal they adhere to, however ungodly these principals are.

As for old Xaabsade, I think you've given too much credence to Piratelanders' bitter propaganda against the man. He had disagreement with Cigaal and was replaced by him even before the creation of Puntland as a supposed H'ism unit. Second, Puntland invasion of Lascanood was mainly instigated by mainly Max'd Xashi who was care-taker ruler of of Garowe about 7 years after Xaabsade and Co were sacked by Cigaal. It's true that he was one of the crucial parts of the SL liberation of the town back in 2007 but the events should be viewed in that context.

All in all, seizing the moment kind of opportunism is part and parcel of politics. From as simple thing as Blairs crocodile tears for Di, to the admission by the TFG foreign minister that he took that job because he stood no chance in SL politics. Could it be Xaabsade has seen how impracticable H'ism is for region where other clans live and that's why he came back to SL anyway? Time will tell, as thing stand, I totally disagree with your characterisation of the big man.

A_Khadar   

NG, I won't disappoint you too much by saying all are Nonsense and stuff, but parts are well informed at your end, parts are impartial and parts are nonsense and stuff.

The part I do really care and factual is your die heart entity needs to stop subjugating ssc people for their opportunistic project. Regardless who is there in Hargayse for whatever reason, like Xaabse, they don't represent the people of ssc. Don't be heartbroken seeing them changing sides left to right like Dalbac who just switched the side third time no long ago, just yesterday.

Flip-flopping for is an actual political strategy for most Somali politicians.

Malika;694525 wrote:
Waaw - Ngonge you have outdone yourself here.

You trully underestimate the desire, the ambition and vision of the SSC people - your post is condescening and misinformed - You think you know all about the people of SSC by reading some websites huh? ..mate you are clueless, its so obvious that I dont know where to begin and where to end - so to shorten up my response , I say this to you..STUFF AND NONSENSE.

I'm with Malika here. NG, you don't know what you're talking about. SL had plenty of chances to woo the SSC people into investing in the future of SL but they wasted those chances. As it stands, SSC is truly not interested in joining or seceding with SL.

I don't think supporting a greater Somalia is less of a political ideology than supporting the independence of SL. They have the right to support whichever entity they believe in.

That's not to say the people are not neighbours and hadhow lama heshiin karo.

A_Khadar   

nuune;694371 wrote:
People will see your topic as a confirmation for supporting the military of SL to cleanse the ethnic SSC as Xaaji Xeyraan said, ninkaa Xaaji ka ag dheeroow niyahow, waa kalluun ibriiq madhan la ordaya
smileys.gif

It's obvious and odayga wuu xarooday for good, and no more he holds the two flags, just one s/l flag now.. weysadii waa ka jabtay...

nuune   

Originally Posted by
Ngonge

I'm trying to bring out
odayada aamusan

You meant hablaha aamusan, wa kaa ee Val iyo Malika jawaab qumman sii oo ay dhuuxi karaan, waan kuu sheegay, saaxiib, topigan waa disaster ee ka samata-bixi disasterka, anu kuu digey kol hore, hadalna meel dheer buu ku dhacaa; dhagaxna meel dhow ayey Soomaalidu tiraahdaa smileys.gif

AYOUB   

Valenteenah.;694563 wrote:
Flip-flopping for is an actual political strategy for most Somali politicians.

I'm with Malika here. NG, you don't know what you're talking about. SL had plenty of chances to woo the SSC people into investing in the future of SL but they wasted those chances. As it stands, SSC is truly not interested in joining or seceding with SL.

I don't think supporting a greater Somalia is less of a political ideology than supporting the independence of SL. They have the right to support whichever entity they believe in.

That's not to say the people are not neighbours and hadhow lama heshiin karo.

I agree with almost everything you said, but some of the blame lies with some Sool folks indecision and double-dealing. Wax badso, wax beel bay leedahay baa layidhi. Secondly, it's time all clans did some looking in the mirror because maybe we've reached the stage where actual the marginalised and down-trodden clans that should be "wooed". I'm sure Silanyo has plans of his own, but if he only pleases his rowdy (for the lack of better term:)) cousins from Sool and ignores the voiceless then his project is doomed. Dhulgaariirki Hadraawi baa ku xiga, wanacuudubillah.